Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tramuntana in evening light.  (Read 4639 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Tramuntana in evening light.
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

Thou shall not shoot at high noon ....
Also playing with a new frame.

Harald L

Re: Tramuntana in evening light.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:55:56 am »

That bold frame will ruin any picture.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:55 am »

Hi,

Sorry to say, but to me it looks like a bad scan of a Velvia slide. The slide may be great but the scan makes it no justice. Now, Velvia is hard to scan, I know as I was doing it for many years. Drum scans are expensive but be better, the photomultipliers in the drum scanners handle Dmax of Velvia better than CCD scanners.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:57 am »

I remember it well; next stop Fornalutx.

You have no idea how lucky we/you were to find that parking space!

It's a feature of nature that defies scale; if anything, I think it must offer the same problem as the Grand Canyon probably does, though I've never seen the latter place.

The reality gives me vertigo, just as does Formentor, but I also have shots of rocks surfaces just around ten feet high that look similar when shot.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »

Hi,

Sorry to say, but to me it looks like a bad scan of a Velvia slide. The slide may be great but the scan makes it no justice. Now, Velvia is hard to scan, I know as I was doing it for many years. Drum scans are expensive but be better, the photomultipliers in the drum scanners handle Dmax of Velvia better than CCD scanners.

Best regards
Erik

Any suggestions ?
I'm using a Coolscan LS 9000.
In the moment I'm working on a different processing of the file - most shadow detail is there - the sky is a problem though.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:25:21 pm »

Hi,

I have A Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, and used it mostly with Vuescan. Vuescan has two pass scanning, two scan with different exposures. I have also tried doing it by hand.
I would suggest that you send a slide to a good drum scanner operator, just to see what is possible. I used http://www.high-end-scans.de . Tim Parkin offers drum scan services at a great price and really nows what he is doing.

I did some testing doing repro with my DSLR, it worked out quite well: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=74091.0
(Keep in mind this was just a feasibility test, I have not really worked on alignment and film flatness).

Here is an article I have written: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/59-sony-alpha-900-vs-67-analogue-round-2

Here are some of the images used in that article: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/PublishedTests/index.html

The images here are all Velvia scans: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Sextener-Dolomiten/

Hope this helps!

Best regards
Erik

Any suggestions ?
I'm using a Coolscan LS 9000.
In the moment I'm working on a different processing of the file - most shadow detail is there - the sky is a problem though.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:29:23 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »

I reprocessed the image, but I really want the shadows to be quite dark.
Thats not a scanning error ...
I worked on the sky and clouds using some fake HDR technique from a single file.
Also did a bit of dodging and burning.
Oh yes - and I won't change the frame :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:36:07 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »

After seeing Eriks files - I wish I had a drum scanner - or an IQ260 ....
Awwwww....

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »

Hi,

An IQ180 would be nice...

I would say that your LS9000 is in all probability a bit better than my Minolta DSMP scanner. Almost all of my images come from that DSMP so your scanner matches mine.

I used Vuescan, scanned to 16 TIFF and did most of my processing in GIMP, Photoshop and now Lightroom.

Another way to make life a bit easier is to use a film with lesser DMAX like Provia. I used Provia for a while but returned to Velvia.

There is a program called Silverfast, that has a reputation for excellent scans. My copy was buggy, but there has been a lot of development since.

Best regards
Erik

After seeing Eriks files - I wish I had a drum scanner - or an IQ260 ....
Awwwww....
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »

Actually I'm scanning with Silverfast doing Multiexposure scans. The darkish shadows are intentional and a part of my interpretation of the scene. Though the scanner is good grain aliasing is an issue even at 4000 dpi. A Dmax of 4 is no problem. Your Drum scans look terrific. I really want to go digital, but not below sheet film quality.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:21:26 pm »

Have you tried a bit warmer white balance?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re:
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:48 am »

Hi,

Have you seen this one? Don't forget to click for actual pixels view, it is about 4000x6000 pixels. Sony Alpha 99 and Samsung 14/2.8.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Samyang/20130821-_DSC2705.jpg

It doesn't compete with 4x5" inch film, but still pretty impressive from a 350$US ultra wide, isn't it?

You could check this pages if you are interested in larger formats:
'
http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/12/big-camera-comparison/

http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/12/camera-test-editors-commentary/

The Mamiya 7II is an impressive camera, Tim Parkin sent me a piece of a 10000 PPI scan that measured quite a bit better than the IQ 180. It was very sharp but quite noisy. Little doubt that Mamiya 7 + film and excellent scanning technique can yield excellent results.

Best regards
Erik

Actually I'm scanning with Silverfast doing Multiexposure scans. The darkish shadows are intentional and a part of my interpretation of the scene. Though the scanner is good grain aliasing is an issue even at 4000 dpi. A Dmax of 4 is no problem. Your Drum scans look terrific. I really want to go digital, but not below sheet film quality.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:44:09 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:00 am »

Have you tried a bit warmer white balance?
No - I tried some unusual colorprocessing here including one layer being changed in LAB mode in another file and cooling the shadows and warming the lights. I also used a blurred layer to increase some of the atmospheric effects. I feel this file is a difficult learning experience for me and we still have to learn to know each other better so to say .... This second version is better concerning the toning, but looking at it this morning, I feel color indeed needs still improving. In the original scan the clouds are totally invisible and hidden in mush - I had exposed for the shadows and thus the lights are quite at the edge of the curve. I feel I need to experiment with this file even more.

Hi,
Have you seen this one? Don't forget to click for actual pixels view, it is about 4000x6000 pixels. Sony Alpha 99 and Samsung 14/2.8.
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Samyang/20130821-_DSC2705.jpg
It doesn't compete with 4x5" inch film, but still pretty impressive from a 350$US ultra wide, isn't it?
Best regards
Erik
Indeed it is.
I am constantly dragged between going the DSLR route or MFDB.
When I worked with that loaned IQ260 I was blown away by the quality and robustness of the files it produced.
And 4x5" film still is an option.
In any case I want movements.
MFDB is just so insanely expensive if you are inside the 60 MP up range.
But its not only about resolution.
My impression is, the scanned files and the purely digital files have a very different feel I need to explore further.
And I don't know if this is just some crazy subjectivism and I am a victim of some sophisticated marketing or if I am feeling something real here.

Cheers
~Chris

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 01:49:26 am »

Hi,

If you like scanned film, and enjoying scanning it is very nice! Keep on taking the challenge and share your results and findings.

I have a projector for 67 slides, a Götschman 67, a projected Velvia 67 slide is very impressive!

Best regards
Erik

I am constantly dragged between going the DSLR route or MFDB.
When I worked with that loaned IQ260 I was blown away by the quality and robustness of the files it produced.
And 4x5" film still is an option.
In any case I want movements.
MFDB is just so insanely expensive if you are inside the 60 MP up range.
But its not only about resolution.
My impression is, the scanned files and the purely digital files have a very different feel I need to explore further.
And I don't know if this is just some crazy subjectivism and I am a victim of some sophisticated marketing or if I am feeling something real here.

Cheers
~Chris
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 01:59:29 am »

Hi,
If you like scanned film, and enjoying scanning it is very nice! Keep on taking the challenge and share your results and findings.
I have a projector for 67 slides, a Götschman 67, a projected Velvia 67 slide is very impressive!
Best regards
Erik

Actually I hate scanning ... But film still has something for me, especially when the alternative is some dozen grands of costs ....

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »

Allright - here is (for now) my last iteration of the file.
I'll stay away from it for a while, since I feel quite exhausted from the work.
I tried and learned many new things and need to let it rest now in this state after working 3 hours on it.
There are still some slight imperfections, but it will stay like this for now.
Please still stay honest with your critique.

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:36:35 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

To give you an idea of the image I added this 33% crop, which would be print size if you watch it on a 100 dpi screen.
The websize does not really do it justice.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »

Harald

+1

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »

Hi,

That crop looks nice. I think you are right that the small image doesn't make it justice.

Best regards
Erik

To give you an idea of the image I added this 33% crop, which would be print size if you watch it on a 100 dpi screen.
The websize does not really do it justice.
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 04:13:25 am »

Harald

And there you are: it's the standard black frame beloved of every gallery I ever entered.

Always knew those galleristas knew nothing about the business!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up