Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Otus, Canon or Nikon on A7r  (Read 3583 times)

CptZar

Which Otus, Canon or Nikon on A7r
« on: November 17, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »

I hope I get my A7r this week. I think it's the perfect match for the Otus 55/1.4. I am not sure about the mount. Nikon or Canon? The Canon has electronic aperture control, the Nikon manual and electronic control.

For the Canon, the Metabones would be fine, Nikon could use the Novoflex adapter which is said to be quite precise. The Nikon mount is usable on Canon, so a little more flexible.

Appreciate your thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:14:36 pm by CptZar »

PhotoEcosse

Re: Which Otus, Canon or Nikon on A7r
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:29:32 pm »

For what might, at first glance, seem a somewhat perverse reason, I would suggest getting the Nikon version.

Not because it will necessarily work better with your A7r but because I suspect that the serious limitations of the Sony product might quickly lead you to reviewing it. If, by that time, you are hooked on fine detail (which is, after all, the best reason for choosing the Otus lens), I suspect you will opt for the Nikon D800. Also, although there might seem a skewed price-level disconnect, that lens on a D7100 might be an awesome combination.

But hey. Give the Sony a fair trial before finally deciding against it.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:29 pm »

I thought they were the same sensor?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:18 pm »

Nikon mount, the reason being that you can mount Nikon optics on Canon bodies, but the opposite is not possible.

You'll be able to use whatever body delivers the best image quality moving forward.

Cheers,
Bernard

CptZar

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:42 am »

Thank you for answering.

I tended towards the Nikon mount too. But....

With the Nikon mount there is no electronic aperture control on the A7r.  That means you have to focus open then go back to working aperture. With small DOF this means, focus trouble.

With the Metabones adapter this is done automatically, and I think this improves chances  being on focus handheld with wide apertures.

Conner999

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:18:39 am »

I would tend to the Nikon. Reasoning:

- Can be used on the A7r, Nikon or Canon body. Also if ever use for video the ability to control aperture on lens and possibly get 'declicked' by someone like Duclos will make life easy.

- It is plausible that until/if  Canon comes out with a higher res FF body sans filter that the majority of DSLR demand for lens will be A7r / Nikon 800/e (or subsequent body) and video users (Nikon, 5DIII, Red, etc) - with the latter wanting on-lens aperture control.

Both preceding, especially the latter, would, amongst other things, aid any possible resale should you decide to do so years on.

Also, should (heaven forbid) Zeiss ever abandon the Otus line, value of a Nikon version will, plausibly again, be higher (assuming reasonable Canon mount build volume).

On the stop-down approach, I thought with an EVF body like the A7/r that as you stopped down the EVF brightness increased to aid focusing?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:41:00 am by Conner999 »

CptZar

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:30:14 am »

You got a point about the EVF brightness. Do I have to focus wide open , or can I, if the focus is read on the sensor, focus with working aperture?

Conner999

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »

My understanding (not owning an mirroless as yet) is that unless you have electronic apreture control, it's much like when I use alt glass on a DSLR - you focus at shooting aperture. The difference with a unit like the A7_ being that the EVF (being a small LV screen) will up the brightness level to compensate for the darker scene vs wide open.

Nice choice in glass. I own the ZF 135/2 APO and the 55's rendering remind me of a shorter version of it in a cine style body. Will be picking up my own copy once available in wider circulation - and possibly an A7R w/grip (LOVE that 800e sensor) in 2014 as a smaller form factor adjunct body to my Nikons.

CptZar

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:27 am »

Thanks for all the comments. I take the Nikon mount.

Jan
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:32:38 am by CptZar »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

pluton

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 02:26:22 am »

Based on my experence with my Fuji XE1 and Fuji 14mm, focusing in an EVF at shooting aperture--if the shooting aperture is smaller than maybe f/2.8 or f/4--is increasingly difficult as you stop the lens down.  Maybe the imaging quality of the Zeiss and/or the finder of the Sony will save all, but don't count on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up