Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export at (really) specific resolution?  (Read 3183 times)

bdosserman

Export at (really) specific resolution?
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:36:45 pm »

Hi,
   I just ran across this last night. Obviously, most of the time one can export at a precise resolution using the resize options in the export dialogue box. However, sometimes one wants a resolution which isn't precisely the given aspect ratio -- eg, I was trying to export for a desktop background at 1366x768 last night, which isn't precisely 16x9. I just couldn't get LR to do it. It kept exporting at 1365x768, rounding the other direction. Is there some way to force it to a particular resolution? I even tried recropping manually entering the ratio as 1.366 by .768, but it decided I really meant to say 16x9 and just reverted to that.
   Ultimately, I just exported at full resolution and resized in a different program, but I'd like to know if there's a way to do it LR.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
Re: Export at (really) specific resolution?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:46 pm »

Hi,

Have a look at the LR Mogrify plugin (http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php)

It uses ImageMagick in the background and brings a whole host of useful extras to LR - including the capability you mention via the 'Mogrify Canvas' option within the plugin. The only limitation is that it does any required cropping itself. Not sure if there is a way of getting it to stretch the image if required rather than cropping to meet your desired aspect ration.

Hope that helps,
Andy.

bduke

• Photography by Bob Duke
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:07:34 pm »

In the Export dialog, you can set Image Resizing to specific pixel dimensions.
See attached.

bdosserman

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

In the Export dialog, you can set Image Resizing to specific pixel dimensions.
See attached.

Yes, I'm aware of this. But when I put 1366x768 in, the image it produced was 1365x768
(I should have clarified this is LR4, dunno if 5 is different). I think its behavior is that it
chooses the largest image within those numbers, but with the given aspect ratio, and it
is rounding off the aspect ratio in the wrong direction (for my purposes).

However, as I was writing this, I discovered a silly but doable workaround -- if instead
I enter 1366x769 (or presumably 1366xanything bigger than 768), it will output an image
at 1366x768!

Thanks,

Brian

bdosserman

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:35:29 pm »

Have a look at the LR Mogrify plugin (http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php)

Thanks, that looks like a cool plugin!

Brian

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:26:45 pm »

There was a bug in LR 5.0 that caused what you describe: on export sometimes (not always) the dimensions of one side were one pixel too small.  I thought they'd fixed that in 5.2, but maybe not. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up