Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 24" Printer advice?  (Read 4018 times)

steveclv

24" Printer advice?
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:27 am »

I am looking for a 24" printer for Fine Art prints on 310g roll stock and canvas.

So far I have looked at the Canon iPF6400 but are there similar performing models from other manufacturers?

I'd like to use refillable tanks if it makes sense with 3rd party inks - would you recommend these and is any model better equipped to accept them?

I liked the Canon's 300ml tanks but the price shocked me :)

Thanks!

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: 24" Printer advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:17 am »

You might get an Epson 7890 which has been discontinued recently for cheap.
Its a great 24" printer.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:46 am »

If you're planning on doing canvas printing, I'd suggest getting a 44" wide format printer instead.  Canvas gallery wraps require more canvas and a 24" printer is very limiting with regard to the size of canvas prints it can produce.

My Epson 9900 and 9890 (K7 B&W) have both been excellent and trouble-free.  Outside of a dedicated B&W K7 Piezography inset, I'm not a fan of 3rd party color inksets, though it is available including color from inkjetmall.

I was not aware that the 7890/9890 had been discontinued, but rather may be more difficult to purchase because of limited supply.  There are a few vendors here that may be able to help you out including Shades of Paper, Atlex/ITSupplies, and TastarSupply.com which looks like the 7890 is in stock.

ken

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:19:45 am »

I have a 9900. I think my next printer will be a 24" Canon.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:28:36 am »

I would agree about 24 inches for canvas is too small. Go to 44 and a printer with a cutter that will handle canvas. I have an Epson 9800 and it is fine for canvas if you use sciccors to cut each piece. However, i bought a 9900 so I wouldn't have to worry about each piece as it printed.

Though I started smaller, a 24 will get you about an 18 inch wide canvas if you stretch and wrap it.  With the 44, the maximum width now maxes out about 38 wide, a much more useable size for gallery wraps.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:31 am »

I would agree about 24 inches for canvas is too small. Go to 44 and a printer with a cutter that will handle canvas. I have an Epson 9800 and it is fine for canvas if you use sciccors to cut each piece. However, i bought a 9900 so I wouldn't have to worry about each piece as it printed.

Though I started smaller, a 24 will get you about an 18 inch wide canvas if you stretch and wrap it.  With the 44, the maximum width now maxes out about 38 wide, a much more useable size for gallery wraps.

I definitely agree with this. If you have the space, get a 44" printer.

In an earlier thread, where someone was asking about the 7890. I wrote:
I went through the same questions when I was looking at buying a larger format printer. I purchased the 7890. Both the 7890 and 7900 are basically the same printer, with the 7900 having two more ink colours which are useful if you need to produce proofs for cmyk printing. I have had this printer for just about one year and I have not had any problems with it, except for having to occasionally do the cleaning cycle. My only possible regret is that I wished that I had a larger space to put a 9890 which would have given me possibility of printing larger prints yet bigger on occasion. I print on Canson Baryta Photographique; and I printed a set of wide prints for an exhibition on Epson Exhibition Canvas. Printing on cut sheets is a bit less convenient but works fine.
I am in Ontario and purchased my printer from Vistek. Their website is vistek.ca

Jean-Michel

steveclv

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:57 am »

Many thanks

I will investigate the 44" but I live in Malta (that's off the 'toe' of Italy) so it's going to be a question of availability and shipping cost. The 24" I could get in my car when I travel over Christmas but the 44" would have to be shipped. However I understand what you are saying regarding canvas wraps so it's definitely something I will look into.

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »

On the canvas wrap, my printer is a 17" 3880 and I run cut 26" rolled canvas through it (Rear door, although somewhat stubborn to get it aligned perpendicular to the print head's rail without it tossing up a "Loading error" message.).  If I'm lucky on the alignment and feed, I might end up with a even 1/4" white border.  I shoot them with Premier Art Lacquer ("Print Shield" in one quart bottle and it looks like water?) out of a Sata MiniJet gun, fwiw.  Never had much luck with the roller stuff.

My framer doesn't need to do a canvas wrap on my 17x25.5 inch canvas, but somehow bonds it in a press for 30 seconds onto some substrate.  Then uses a faux-suede 3" wooden liner around it, and puts it into a 28x38 inch Arquati frame.  So far so good, but not cheap ($450 frame, with another $60 with daylight-balanced blue bulbs for the light fixture mounted to the top.).

I've rolled long canvas panoramas onto laminated core boards in the past without issue, just you might need an additional fabric glued to the opposite side to prevent bowing due to humidity.

JeanMichel

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:31 pm »

Many thanks

I will investigate the 44" but I live in Malta (that's off the 'toe' of Italy) so it's going to be a question of availability and shipping cost. The 24" I could get in my car when I travel over Christmas but the 44" would have to be shipped. However I understand what you are saying regarding canvas wraps so it's definitely something I will look into.

That would be a very large CAR! The 24" 7890 comes in a crate that will not fit in any car or small van. It is heavy. It needs a truck with an hydraulic lift to lower the beast onto the floor or receiving dock. You need to have it shipped.
Jean-Michel

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 04:41:43 pm »

When I wanted a 24" printer I looked at the Epson and the Canon. I already had an Epson 3880 and have had zero problems with it. You would think with a track record like that I would have bought an Epson. But I was constrained by space requirements and the unit would have to be transported up two sets of stairs to be installed. I went with the Canon 6400 because it was smaller and weighed less. I've never regretted it. If you are into longevity of your prints then you might be interested that the Canon inks rate higher than the Epson ones in that category. BTW, at normal viewing distance I've been unable to tell a print from either printer apart.
Good luck on your choice.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »

I disagree with your 18" maximum size figure for canvas wraps from a 24" printer. With 1.5" bars and 1/2" at the back for stapling, you get a 20" wide wrap. Still not a huge print, to be sure, but visually it looks a good deal larger than 18".

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:16 pm »

LOL...price of ink shocking...putting it in a car...good luck with the world of large format printing ;)

steveclv

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:27 am »

Yes, I am getting the picture :)

The 44" weighs 256 lbs so that's definitely one for a truck so I am trying to get prices delivered to Malta. Not cheap!

The 24" Canon seems possible - I am taking a look at one when I am in the UK next month and we shall see - Amazon will deliver for 100 Euro so that might be the easiest route to start off with.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:33 am »

Yes, I am getting the picture :)

The 44" weighs 256 lbs so that's definitely one for a truck so I am trying to get prices delivered to Malta. Not cheap!

The 24" Canon seems possible - I am taking a look at one when I am in the UK next month and we shall see - Amazon will deliver for 100 Euro so that might be the easiest route to start off with.

I just had a 24" IPF 6400 delivered. With packaging and pallet it's strapped to, it's shipped weight was 253 lbs. It took 4 healthy men to get off the truck to the ground. Once off the truck we opened and transported it the house in pieces. Still took 2 people to carry the printer. Even if you unpacked it, you'd have to have a really big car to fit it in. I had a small 2 person couch in my office, the printer barely fit into that spot.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

steveclv

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »

Wow - the printer weighs 165 lb so I guess it must have some serious packaging etc

Hopefully I can get a freight company to actually reply to emails!

brianrybolt

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 01:06:10 pm »

Don't forget about the very fine and underrated HP Z3200.  Very frugal on ink and prints beautifully.

Brian

BobDavid

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:08 pm »

I have a 9900. I think my next printer will be a 24" Canon.

I've decided to go with another Epson by the first of next year. This one will be the 24" 7980. I won't be matching PMS colors, so I think I can live without the orange and green ink. I am looking forward to having a smaller printer. If you want to print onto canvas, the 44" model is a necessary evil. I decided to stick with Epson, even though the clogging issues is ridiculous. I am now running nozzle checks every day on the 9900. That is the best way to keep the thing clog-free.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

I don’t do wraps but instead glue the canvas to a substrate and can do about 23.5” on the narrow side if I’m careful on how I mask the image before coating. Usually I go for 23” on the narrow side and don’t have to worry about a thin masking line.

BobDavid

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »

Now that a friend has an Epson 7980, I will not be buying a printer. The cool thing is that I will be able to send files over to him via wetransfer.com, and I'll just pick 'em up when they are ready. He'll only charge me for the media. In return, I am lending him my pneumatic shop tools indefinitely. Sweet. Now I will not have to deal with clogs, I will be regaining some real estate in my small office, and the tools that have been sitting dormant in my cabinet will once again see the light of day. ... It's amazing how I've been contacted by vendors lurking in the shadows about "great deals on printers" since I mentioned my printer conundrum on this forum. Vultures? Predators? Sheesh.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:23:54 pm by BobDavid »

steveclv

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:26 am »

Well I have decided to go with a 24" Canon iPF6400 as a starter and will be having it shipped to Malta - a very reputable US company is handling it for me and it seems to be the best way to get started.

I can look for the iPF8400 when I have started making some money back on smaller prints and canvases.

I'm visiting the UK over the holidays and will pick up the framing supplies there - probably going to start with the easywrappe system.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up