Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A book about calibration and profiling?  (Read 2142 times)

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
A book about calibration and profiling?
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:16 am »

Is there any good book that would go to details about (monitor) calibration? I mean details like why would one use L* response curve vs. gamma or sRGB response curve, differences between lut-based vs. matrix-based profiles, when to use them, under what circumstances to use v.4 profiles, how to spot and resolve issues etc. etc.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A book about calibration and profiling?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »

Andrew Rodney's Color Management for Photographers is very good. Also Real World Color Management by Fraser/ Murphy/ Bunting.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

Another excellent book, especially for understanding the foundations of color science and color management is Maureen Stone's "A Field Guide to Digital Color."

http://www.amazon.com/A-Field-Guide-Digital-Color/dp/1568811616/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1384720011&sr=1-1

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

Is there any good book that would go to details about (monitor) calibration? I mean details like why would one use L* response curve vs. gamma or sRGB response curve, differences between lut-based vs. matrix-based profiles, when to use them, under what circumstances to use v.4 profiles, how to spot and resolve issues etc. etc.

in many cases you can just read helpfiles for a calibration software, like this one for a GUI frontend for Argyll = http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/#quickstart

in fact it is not that much worse than any book  ;)

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:39 pm »

Thanks everyone. I have the Fraser's book and looked at the others. Oddly enough, since I am not looking to introduction to CMS, but specific things related to calibration workflow and settings, it seems the help file for DispCal is almost exactly what I was looking for. And after installing it it appears to be an excellent (albeit slow) calibration tool as well!

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »

Thanks everyone. I have the Fraser's book and looked at the others. Oddly enough, since I am not looking to introduction to CMS, but specific things related to calibration workflow and settings, it seems the help file for DispCal is almost exactly what I was looking for. And after installing it it appears to be an excellent (albeit slow) calibration tool as well!

indeed... too many books have too many wapor
Pages: [1]   Go Up