Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? on RIP upgrades with new models of printers.  (Read 4998 times)

Some Guy

? on RIP upgrades with new models of printers.
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »

Let's say Epson comes out with some new line of printers for 2104 using their new printhead.  Maybe a replacement for the 3880 which has been out for about 4 years now and seems Epson runs their line about that long for their better ones.  I can't see them making it to 2015 (5 years?) for that model as it came out in 2nd quarter of 2009.

Do the RIP software outfits update their drivers to accommodate a new line of printers if they change, or do they make you upgrade to a newer version, say "StudioPrint 14" to "StudioPrint 15" or do they incorporate newer printers into an update to the "StudioPrint 14" edition?

???

Thanks.

TylerB

• my photography
Re: ? on RIP upgrades with new models of printers.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

Ergosoft tends to do updates with new printer drivers and tweaks as needed. Paid upgrades happen more rarely and are new versions incorporating new features, interface, etc... however new drivers for new printers generally apply to the newest RIP version. For example, there is no Epson 9900 driver for v12, as it came out around the time of v14, which supported it.
Don't know about other companies.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »

Epson hasn't announced any new models coming out now that they launched their SureColor series printers (Solvent, technical and Dye based).

The 3880 and x900 series will most likely be around for another few years until a new line is in the process.  So far, these units are doing very well and customers are not having as many problems as the x800/x880 series, which Epson is most likely too keep these for a bit longer until some new technology comes around.

As someone else mentioned, RIP upgrades are normally through the manufacturer or you can purchase through a store or reseller.

Atlex.com

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:55 pm »

Thanks all.

I spoke to Ergosoft on the phone and sounds like they are selling StudioPrint 14 via the printer models now (and to some degree, the printer price too or so it seems.).  Something about a A3 to B6 category (Not based on paper size numbers with those two numbers either.) with prices that hinge on the category (Starting at $1,300 plus optional print clients added for $650 onto that.) rather than a SE or Artists edition of SP14.  The salesman mentioned that StudioPrint 15 "might" appear in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2014.  Also, Epson releases SDK kits for the software and driver makers so they "might" already have the SDK kits for any new printers coming to market in 2014.  Didn't know what a final upgrade SP14 > SP15 price would be or how they would handle it until it appears which sounds like a year off.

Does sound like something may appear by summer of 2014 as Epson has come out with some new head design this past summer that is making its way onto two of their assembly lines.  Didn't catch what all they are for, and may not be photo related either.

Don't know if I'll wait it out or not.

SG

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:37 pm »

"PrecisionCore"  Google it or YouTube search it - relating to the new Epson head technology.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up