Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split RGB values in Lightroom Soft Proofing Histogram  (Read 1032 times)

Andy800

• Andy Astbury's Photography Blog
Split RGB values in Lightroom Soft Proofing Histogram
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:23:12 am »

Can anyone point me in the direction of the definitive function and use of the X/Y split colour numbers in the LR soft proofing histogram when in any comparison view please?

I gather that the values themselves correspond to original and destination colour numbers.

What I really want to know is "why" is the info there - why have the LR Dev Team given us this info and what do they envisage the user doing with that info.

If we soft proof to another standard colour space such as sRGB I suppose the numeric info might have some relevance, but if we are printing via a custom profile for a particular print head/paper/ink combo then that particular destination colour space is non-standard - so a numeric comparison could be deemed somewhat irrelevant.

Are the colour values being derived from a point sample or an area sample?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a real evangelical user and promoter of Lightroom and of soft proofing and printing from Lightroom.  But the point of this particular information escapes me; I never profess to be the brightest penny in the purse so I always assume I'm missing something!

So I've tried trawling through as much info on LR soft proofing as I can find, but cannot see anything that tells me why the info is there and what I'm supposed to do with it :o

Soft proofing is a visual thing so I ignore the numbers and get great looking WYSIWYG prints - but not "getting" this numerical info just plain irritates the hell out of me!

And, even though it's not happened yet, one day one of my print workshop attendees is going to ask me the same question - and right now I couldn't give them a definitive answer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up