Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Technique Magazine - Gone!  (Read 26593 times)

Misirlou

• http://
Re: Photo Technique Magazine - Gone!
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:37 pm »

News to me that we are "in trouble." Subscriptions are strong; the Road Show has been a gas and a lot of fun; LensWork Online continues to break records for new subscribers; and the Monographs are a giant success. I can only hope for lots more "trouble!"

Wow, this is excellent news. My local bookstore doesn't carry the magazine, so I'd assumed the worst. Glad to hear you're hanging in there.

I have a close connection with some of the people at Photo Technique, and watching that one die has been very painful.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »

I don't think anyone has mentioned those entry fees some charge; now that's something quite humorous.

You provide 'content' for which you pay for the pleasure of supplying it. Great concept - glad my clients never heard that one!

;-)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »

It's a well-reasoned response, Brooks, and there's a lot in what you said that I agree with.

I'm sorry you have trouble seeing the humor in street photography. As I said, it's not stand-up comic funny; the humor usually is in the things people do routinely. I'm going to attach an example. I think I've posted it before on LuLa. I think that in order to "understand" street photography you have to be able to see the humor in it. Of course it's not always funny. Sometimes it's tragic. But it's always humanity doing its thing, which, as I said, the history of photography tells us is what people find most interesting. I'd add that there's enlightenment in good street photography that simply isn't there in pictures of rocks.

I don't quite understand what you said about earth-shaking, opinion-forming, mind-altering photography being produced mostly outside photographic circles. Certainly Dorothea Lange and Gene Smith were well inside photographic circles, unless you don't consider the FSA project to have been a photographic circle. And the idea that neither Migrant Mother nor Minamata is "art" photography sort of blows me away. To me they deserve that title far more than something like Ansel's "Half Dome." Migrant Mother and Minamata are moving human stories. Half Dome is just a rock. If "art" doesn't move you, it's not art.

Yes, I read your comments about Mitch Dobrowner. He does good work and I'm glad to hear he's now doing well as a photographer. That's always good news.

But as far as dropping feathers is concerned, maybe it's age, but the last thing in the world I want to be is a wealthy and famous photographer. It would pose way too many problems. But, of course, I'm not in any danger.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:12:48 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

NancyP

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:39 pm »

I am sorry that PT magazine is kaput - many of the articles made you think, which is more than can be said for higher circulation photography magazines/ adverts by Adorama and BH.

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:12 pm »

Half Dome is just a rock. If "art" doesn't move you, it's not art.

If "art" doesn't move you, you are not moved by that "art".

RSL

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 07:45:12 pm »

Sounds like a bad case of constipation, Isaac.

Isaac

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »

If that's how you wish to describe what you suffer from...

There are people who are moved; people who are moved when they are shown and people who are not moved. (With apologies to Da Vinci.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:49:11 pm by Isaac »

RSL

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:25 am »

Brooks, Forgot to mention that in Letting Go of the Camera, your opening blast: "What it Means to be an Artist" pretty much describes exactly what happens when a young photographer takes himself too seriously. Some outgrow this, but many never do. I think that the ones who outgrow it tend to be street photographers. You simply can't take yourself seriously and do good street. I read Letting Go of the Camera years ago, and as I mulled over the posts here, that article popped into my mind. Loved that book, by the way.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up