Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop the discontinuation of Fuji 3000b Instant Film by Fujifilm  (Read 5748 times)

Rob C

Re: Stop the discontinuation of Fuji 3000b Instant Film by Fujifilm
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »

Erik/Rob,

Large corporations have their own logic and it is not only about profitability.

I am pretty convinced that a smaller more passionate company could still make packfilm with sufficient margin to make a profit and to keep the production lines running.

BTW, more than 5,500 people signed the petition already, that is already very close the estimated number of MFD units sold per year…Joris.

Which indicates what, exactly? You can hardly draw a logical parallel between the profitability of a thing that costs a few bucks and one running into the price of good cars.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »

Hi,

Sometimes a smaller company can take over resources from a larger company, sometimes for a symbolic payment. A small operation may need less operating margin, but they still need maintenance and so on.

Sometimes there are success stories. A couple of years ago Franke & Heidecke (makers of Rollei) collapsed. A different company was started by some employees, and the operation seems successful. I have no doubt those employees went trough a lot of hardship.

Best regards
Erik

Which indicates what, exactly? You can hardly draw a logical parallel between the profitability of a thing that costs a few bucks and one running into the price of good cars.

Rob C
Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:48 am »

I keep hearing about how the Japanese need to destroy their equipment for some kind of tax reasons - its come up several times now - and I know that what seems logical may not be possible.  You would think some upstart would just buy the machinery to make the film and the chemical formulae and away they go, right?  But this isn't necessarily possible.
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:55 am »

Hi,

It may be that if the equipment is written of it is required to be destructed, so it has no actual value.

My guess is that it is not easy to keep production profitable. A startup may have lower wages, less needs for margins, but it can be they postpone maintenance, and run in difficulties later.

On the other hand a startup may be more efficient, have cheaper sales channels and so.

Best regards
Erik

I keep hearing about how the Japanese need to destroy their equipment for some kind of tax reasons - its come up several times now - and I know that what seems logical may not be possible.  You would think some upstart would just buy the machinery to make the film and the chemical formulae and away they go, right?  But this isn't necessarily possible.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up