Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop the discontinuation of Fuji 3000b Instant Film by Fujifilm  (Read 5749 times)

JV

Stop the discontinuation of Fuji 3000b Instant Film by Fujifilm
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »

Not sure whether this is the right forum but given that Polaroid packfilm in the past was often used to make test shots for the real shoot with MF equipment I believe it is appropriate.

Even if if you do not shoot it anymore it still makes sense to sign the petition IMO:

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-discontinuation-of-fuji-3000b-instant-film-by-fujifilm

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Stop the discontinuation of Fuji 3000b Instant Film by Fujifilm
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:23:50 pm »

What!  I can't believe it!  I use this way more than the color ones!   I wish they'd bring back the 4x5 as well!
Just signed!
Rolleiflex USA

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 01:53:09 am »

Signed

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 06:00:53 am »

I'm wondering how people who do not use a product actually help anyone by voting on the continuation of such a product.

I'd have thought that the manufacturers would already know, from their sales figures, where stood the viability of any specific product. It isn't about public noise; it's about sales numbers: they speak (or shout) louder, and when they whisper, the message is just as clear to those with their ear close to the voice.

Rob C

artobest

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:48:05 am »

It might make them think twice before killing off the next film.

Signed.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:42:51 am »

It might make them think twice before killing off the next film.

Signed.

Why? If it's profitable enough they won't, and if it isn't they will.

Just think Kodachrome: so many cried after its demise, but how many bought before that happened? Obviously, not enough to make it worthwhile, and that's the measure: profitability. It's the same for companies as for individuals. I stopped doing stock, not because I lost my love for travel and/or girls, but because I could no longer make it pay. Love is not enough in business. You will go bust following a lost cause.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:46:10 am »

Just think Kodachrome: so many cried after its demise, but how many bought before that happened? Obviously, not enough to make it worthwhile, and that's the measure: profitability. It's the same for companies as for individuals. I stopped doing stock, not because I lost my love for travel and/or girls, but because I could no longer make it pay. Love is not enough in business. You will go bust following a lost cause.

Rob C

But we want it!
(/ me stomps on ground heavily with his right foot)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 09:01:27 am »

I think a petition to sell rights and tools to make these products to some small company would make more sense.

Impossible project seems to be doing well out of Polaroid

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JV

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:01:45 am »

I think a petition to sell rights and tools to make these products to some small company would make more sense.

Impossible project seems to be doing well out of Polaroid

Edmund

I don't disagree with you.  

Given that packfilm is a very niche market a multinational like Fuji is no longer interested and it would be better served by a smaller and more passionate company.

That being said, it did not happen with the FP-100B film which was discontinued last year and it does not look like it will happen right now either.

Hopefully indeed Impossible or some other company steps up...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:29:50 am by JV »

JV

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:05 am »

Rob C

Rob,

No offense but I sincerely hope you weren't always as cynical as you sound right now.

And I don't believe that it is no longer profitable.  It just has become a niche market and therefore no longer of interest to a large corporation like Fuji.

The demand for the film is there.  Professional packfilm cameras are very much wanted on eBay, more now than 3 or 5 years ago.

The product perhaps just needs to get in the hands of a company that still believes in it...

Joris.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:25:31 am by JV »

Sheldon N

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:31:19 am »

I believe the link to the petition may be incorrect. The proper way to sign the petition is here...

http://www.adorama.com/FJFP3000B.html

:)
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

JV

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 11:13:25 am »

I believe the link to the petition may be incorrect. The proper way to sign the petition is here...

http://www.adorama.com/FJFP3000B.html

:)

I was able to order 50 packs online.  Both B&H and Adorama ran out of stock really quickly...

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »

I bought some locally as well.  The thing that sort of sucks is that once you know its the last you'll get, you hold onto what you have instead of using it.   I used mostly the 4x5 3000b until they quit making it and I hid about 20 boxes away.  I keep thinking I'll use it on something special, but its just getting stale now.

Good idea to sell the rights and equipment, but I know there are some odd laws about equipment and taxes in Japan that sometimes prevent such transactions from being options.
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:44:16 pm »

I bought some locally as well.  The thing that sort of sucks is that once you know its the last you'll get, you hold onto what you have instead of using it.   I used mostly the 4x5 3000b until they quit making it and I hid about 20 boxes away.  I keep thinking I'll use it on something special, but its just getting stale now.

Good idea to sell the rights and equipment, but I know there are some odd laws about equipment and taxes in Japan that sometimes prevent such transactions from being options.

Same here.  I stocked up big time when Polaroid went bust.  Still more than 20 boxes of 667 in my fridge...

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »

Question about storing pack film. I am sure that I have read that it was best to NOT refrigerate. Just cool and dry, which is what I have always done with it.

Any best advice?

Thanks!
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 02:46:51 am »

Hi,

A company like Fuji needs to earn money, they would probably keep it if it would earn them money, in both long and short term. For instance there is a need for maintenance and renewal of the machines used.

It is possible that a smaller operation could take over rights, but they would still have costs and they also need to earn money. Most of those ventures fail I guess.

Professional photographers also need to earn money, to be able to renew equipment, cover operating experiences and to feed their familiy.

Best regards
Erik

Rob,

No offense but I sincerely hope you weren't always as cynical as you sound right now.

And I don't believe that it is no longer profitable.  It just has become a niche market and therefore no longer of interest to a large corporation like Fuji.

The demand for the film is there.  Professional packfilm cameras are very much wanted on eBay, more now than 3 or 5 years ago.

The product perhaps just needs to get in the hands of a company that still believes in it...

Joris.
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 04:18:26 am »

Rob,

Joris.

No offence taken - why should there be? The point is simple: to exist as a production line, you - anything - have to make enough money to make the venture work. That's always more than just the cost of running the show - there has to be a comfortable profit margin too, that oils the entire machinery/system (including investement considerations) that allows the thing to continue to exist. The closest I can think of to the alternative is the self-employed photographer with no family committments: he can live in, and operate, from an attic or a celler. Only he will starve if he doesn't make enough money from his work. That others might praise it doesn't count unless enough of them also put their money where their collective mouth is.

Making and selling product is no different to producing art: all is commodity; that's not cynicism - that's reality.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 08:43:10 am »

The good thing is:
If all breaks down and there is no more film ....
We can buy glass plates, gelatine, silverbromide, hydrochinon .... and make it all ourselves ... even 8x10" .... lenses should be extremely cheap once this happens ...
:P

JV

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »

Erik/Rob,

Large corporations have their own logic and it is not only about profitability.

I am pretty convinced that a smaller more passionate company could still make packfilm with sufficient margin to make a profit and to keep the production lines running.

BTW, more than 5,500 people signed the petition already, that is already very close the estimated number of MFD units sold per year…

Joris.

JV

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »

Question about storing pack film. I am sure that I have read that it was best to NOT refrigerate. Just cool and dry, which is what I have always done with it.

Any best advice?

Thanks!

The fridge is OK.  Freezing will kill the film.  Cool and dry should be fine if you are planning to shoot it within a few years of its expiration.  If not I would store it in the fridge.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up