Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D-39 on RZ67  (Read 1860 times)

bpepz

H3D-39 on RZ67
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:46 am »

For a while now I have been wanting to use my H3D-39 digital back on my RZ67, and it was only recently I found a H mount adapter for such a purpose. Unfortunately the adapter needed slightly modified to work, since it was originally for a leaf back, they are both H mount but for some reason the leaf has a longer latch that needed filed down. Eventually I got it to work, shot studio shots and was very pleased with the sharpness of the 110mm, I was in good spirits at this point. It all changed when I tried to shoot outdoors. At every shutterspeed or aperture combination, there is a SEVERE purple color caste to the entire frame, as well as the image being under exposed, even worse, the image is filled with very intense noise and artifacting. It only does this with ambient light, flash is fine.

I don't think it has anything to do with my RZ67 body or lens, I had the EXACT same problem when shooting on the Fuji GX680. The Fuji is known to have strange sync issues so I was not surprised, but I am surprised it did the exact same thing on my h3d-39 back with the RZ67.  Does anyone have any similar experiences, or maybe any advice on what I could be doing wrong?

RomanN.

Re: H3D-39 on RZ67
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:52 pm »

the problem is easy to find out. Hasselblad back with H adapter are constructed very close to work with the H Body. Therefore the speeds faster then 1/8 on other kameras will not work as it should, also on mechanical shutters like Copal. With some new copal it works better, but not exactly. hasselblad V adapter backs are diferent, they are not made with so exact tolerances as H-system, therefore they work good with mechanical V shutters and Copal-compur shutter of large format lenses. The solution would be Kapture group cable release that balancing the tolerance of the mechanical shutter. That could help. The problems dont come if you work with times longer than 1/8. Try to use a tripod outside, you will see, it will be OK, than when you use faster times you will get worse, usharp and noise picture with magenta cast, that will be at 1/200 really horryble. this are the synchronisations problems, also you will see it the sky a raster. I studio, when you use flash it will works well, but not outside. when you call hasselblad they will explane you the problem more exactly as I do with my poor english.
b.regards
roman

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:07 am »

Try changing the back's settings to ~flash sync <1/8 sec (don't have it with me right now, to give exact phrasing). That's how I use it on a tech camera with copal shutter.

bpepz

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »

Try changing the back's settings to ~flash sync <1/8 sec (don't have it with me right now, to give exact phrasing). That's how I use it on a tech camera with copal shutter.

I've tried that and it does not seem to help.

bpepz

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:26 pm »

Ok guys! Thanks to photographer Riccardo Andre, I was able to get the combination to work! He wrote a blog post about it in case anyone else was curious

http://probokeh.com/blog/using-hasselblad-digital-back-with-mamiya-rz67/

I am able to get perfect shots with h3d-39 and rz67 combo now, but it is a little inconvenient to time my shots in the exposure window. I am hoping I can come up with a two stage release to first trigger the back and then the rz67.

Pages: [1]   Go Up