Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video sales  (Read 3678 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Video sales
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:55:30 am »

I was just quizzing my brother on retail video sales. He has made a few sell through DVD's of places like the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales etc. A few years ago it was a decent business, but now the idea of buying DVD's looks to have passed.
The latest way to buy your entertainment is to download it and not buy DVD's. The problem is, fine if you are a blockbuster film, but what about local interest stuff. Where can you download a Lake District film?
Where can you upload a production to sell, lots of places to give it away, Youtube, Vimeo etc. I can't think of any means available to make a profit from your efforts.
The reason I asked is I have an idea for a video but I can not see where I could make money from it without  a way to distribute.
What are the options for none Hollywood productions?

Kevin.
Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Video sales
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:26:39 am »

You can sell on Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/ondemand

Or get ad revenue from YouTube.

That wont bring you an audience - I guess you would need to work on that yourself or with appropriate partners

All together Im very interested in this.

Maybe to sell a few tuts on Resolve - 50cents? and then my full feature when is it shot!

S
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:32:06 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:29 am »

I just took a look at the Vimeo. Nearly but not quite.
Click on the rent button and it asks you to open an account straight away. That will put off the casual buyer in an instant. They need to put that further down the line of purchase. After the customer has invested some time and effort into getting the vid.
 Being hit straight away with yet another password to remember is a big turn off.
Plus it's not exactly a shop front, more for film makers than customers was my impression.
You could do with your own shop front to promote your work, I couldn't see that option, can you do that with Vimeo?
How would you promote your films?
Youtube for making money is a bad joke, a lucky few will strike gold with it, just enough to dangle the carrot so people keep giving, just like micro stock.
You need a site with the capability to make it your own shop, like Photodeck does with stills, it allows video clips to sell, but not a 30min HD film to rent or download.
Are there any such sites for video that you can brand and upload lengthy video for rent or purchase?

Kevin.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:56:26 am by KevinA »
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:10:54 am »

OK here is a thought. A site like Photodeck you pay a yearly subscription that will take full length video.
You can promote that how ever you like, plus the ability to sell vouchers that can be given as gifts like iTunes does. The ability to attach your video to other products, like your local TV shop you could do a deal with a video rental voucher given away with sales.
Say you do your local dance School production, a free voucher to rent the video in low res and the option to purchase the full high res as a download.
Lots of a possibilities providing you have a shopfront of your own.
You need more than to be just another Vimeo branded video.

Kevin.
Kevin.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »

Vimeo does give you the option of making an uploaded video private, allowing embedding on only those site(s) you select. 

This, in conjunction with a content managed site such as wordpress, joomla or drupal with a shopping cart add-in will make for a very workable system.

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:08:27 am »

Great thread  as I've just finished a 30 min video and am searching for ways to  1.make it free to x-number of Kickstarter pledges, and 2. be able to sell it. I've tried a couple of  paid sites for hosting but downloading a 1.5 gig file presents a problem. I do have a word press site and have signed up for Stipe to handle sales but downloading seems to be a problem? I wonder if Chris Sanderson could chime in here. LL has been selling hour long videos of quite some time. How do they do it?

BTW, for those who may be interested here's my trailer: http://celiathaxtergarden.com/celia-thaxters-island-garden-trailer/
Peter Randall

fredjeang2

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:07:51 am »

Check also: openfilm.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »

The YouTube Rental model works great for those that qualify - just as easy as buying through iTunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up