Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a tech kit in Australia  (Read 851 times)

satybhat

Buying a tech kit in Australia
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:44:29 am »

Hi to all !!
Stuck with a dilemma. I am based in Melbourne, Australia.
Have been looking to buy a IQ280 kit and a tech kit for a while now and am ready to pull the trigger.
Any suggestions regarding who I should be getting the kit from ?
Today I ran into a bit of a surprise when I decided to investigate the prices (not that I was unaware of the high cost of entry per se).
Just that there seems to be a huge differential in the US and Australian prices.
Now running a small business myself in Melbourne, my primary instinct is supporting the local businesses. I've spoken to the chaps at Specular and they have until now really helped me with the choices ( can't speak highly enough of their customer services ), but seems like the dealership here is quite in cahoots for want of a better phrase.
For example, when I called lapfoto for a quote, they bluntly told me that they can't undermine the dealer I had been quoted from earlier. Not sure if this is how the industry works, but this really makes it seem like a monopoly.
Any Aussie chaps wanting to chime in on this ?
Thanks

douglas frost

Re: Buying a tech kit in Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:20 am »

the market in australia for medium format is so small, that l&p (based in sydney) are not going to undercut their melbourne dealer. when you're buying camera gear at this level, you're also buying (and need) good customer support - if you beat them down on price, then they are not going to feel as obliged to really look after you down the road if you have problems or need help and advice.

i've always had great support from the guys at l&p and i'm sure specular will be the same. your initial outlay on purchase may be more, but i think you'll find you end up with good value in the long run. if you are buying an iq280 kit, you are either a very wealthy amateur, or a successful professional who will use the gear to generate income (and can depreciate the cost against your tax).

although i shoot 35mm, i've found it far more beneficial to buy from the 'professional' stores (l&p, kayell, sun studios) and get great support when i need it, rather than saving a few dollars from the discounters and grey market shops.

an iq280 kit is a big commitment, but one that you really need first class support for. good luck with your purchase.

satybhat

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:47:36 am »

Well, that's just great...
Now normally, I would do just that, buy locally,but this breach of confidentiality was a shocker (unless you are the same company, that is).
See, I just called lapfoto for a quote because my financer's creditors wanted 3 quotes ( as if this was a plumbing job ).
So I thought what the heck, but the chap there just told me pointblank that he won't undermine Specular without me divulging any further information !!!
That's quite rude I think.

douglas frost

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:52 am »

it's not rocket science...  no importer of high end equipment is going to screw over their dealers. the way way it works at this level of the market is that l&p look after nsw, specular look after victoria and so on. it's not like buying canon, nikon etc where there are countless options. in medium format, i don't think you'll find much difference in prices for any brand as you go around the country. i appreciate that it's frustrating, but it's not uncommon in australia for premium products (try and get any sort of deal on miele appliances...).

the plus side is you can save a lot of time trying to shop around ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up