Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartphone video framing question  (Read 1990 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Smartphone video framing question
« on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »

This may be a dumb question, but I don't have a smartphone, and nobody in my immediate circle does either so I can't easily test this for myself. It seems to me that there are a lot of videos on youtube and elsewhere whose image is very narrow vertically, with wide black bars on either side. This doesn't appear like run-of-the-mill pill-boxing from aspect ratio mis-match. Is this because people are holding the phones vertically when they should be holding them horizontally when they shoot?
--
Robert

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Smartphone video framing question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:13:32 pm »

I am not sure there is a 'should' any longer - I have always envied the portrait mode of still camera framing - but that is undoubtedly the cause! I grant you it is a little clumsy standing the TV on its end  ;D

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Since posting the question I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA#t=48
--
Robert

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »

Look how Recuenco uses vertical Iphones in this making-of : http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/makings/making_bebe.html

(Recuenco is among the best WW advert filmakers, so even if it looks home-made, it's really not)

Sorry, it's in Spanish only but you got the point.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 05:27:06 am »

I spent some time making an L bracket strong enough for one of my big cameras to shoot upright.

I dont see why vertical might not be really good - mainly for catwalk/fashion brands.

Also for greenscreen I can now get a 1920 high shot of a person mid to up, which is the same res as shooting l/s with a 4k camera..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:05 am »

I have L generic L brackets for the gh3's and the scarlet, but rarely use them vertically and only for stills.

I've done some vertical videos but have had no commercial use for them, just as an experiment because every electronic canvas is horizontal.

It seems for most "videos" we're pretty much stuck at 16x9 which I think is not the best canvas and would much rather shoot something around 2 to 1, but it won't mix with past footage well.

I also much rather shoot 30 progressive rather than 24, because when you have video for computer play, traveling graphics, pans are much smoother at 30 than 24.  24 is fine for broadcast monitors because they change everything anyway, but for computer play, I've never seen any positive reason to shoot 24, though most "traditionalists" just go nuts at the mention of anything but 24.

It's funny, I've heard such an uproar of the Hobbit being 48fps, though I've seen trailers in theaters and it's beautiful, though very highly effected in post, still very very pretty footage.

Never once thought hmm, maybe thee should have worked in 24fps.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:53:39 am »

Vertical video - firstly for green screen it is just a trick to get more res if the composition allows it. The final output could be any shape.

I can see vertical being good for clothing web shops more aiming product still

Just like upright photos can work on websites - basically I don't see why most photos on the web won't move in time.

It is more a lack of imagination of the designers.

Same of course for store display and bus stop adverts
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up