Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple profiling apps on the same computer?  (Read 3081 times)

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
Multiple profiling apps on the same computer?
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:34 am »

I am getting a new retina laptop and a NEC PA monitor and most likely i1 Display Pro. I have no previous experience in using retina, PA displays orh dual display calibration.

I want to calibrate both displays. The NEC requires hardware calibration with SpectraView, but if I understand it correctly SpectraView can't be used to calibrate non-NEC displays. So I will apparently need another solution for the retina (most likely bundled i1 Calibration or BasICColor Display). I am trying to wrap my head around the following:

• Is my understanding correct, do I really need two apps?
  • Is there any technical problem running two calibration apps on the same computer? They just generate the profile and set it as default for the display, correct?
  • I am getting unclear information about the BasICColor and whether it can properly (hardware) calibrate the PA display. Could somebody enlighten me?
  • Will I benefit from getting BasICColor to calibrate the retina, or is the i1 Calibration bundled with i1 Display Pro going to give me good enough profile? I have been using Color Munki spectrophotometer with my current non-retina Mac display and the results are atrocious.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:50:38 am by MirekElsner »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Multiple profiling apps on the same computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:02:11 pm »

• Is there any technical problem running two calibration apps on the same computer? They just generate the profile and set it as default for the display, correct?
    • I am getting unclear information about the BasICColor and whether it can properly (hardware) calibrate the PA display. Could somebody enlighten me?
    • Will I benefit from getting BasICColor to calibrate the retina, or is the i1 Calibration bundled with i1 Display Pro going to give me good enough profile? I have been using Color Munki spectrophotometer with my current non-retina Mac display and the results are atrocious.
    !

Yes.
    Correct.
    Don't know (use US software)
    Munki Spectrophotometer should not be atrocious. I have both but have never tried that combo.
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    Author "Color Management for Photographers".

howardm

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:08:04 pm »

I am getting a new retina laptop and a NEC PA monitor and most likely i1 Display Pro. I have no previous experience in using retina, PA displays orh dual display calibration.

I want to calibrate both displays. The NEC requires hardware calibration with SpectraView, but if I understand it correctly SpectraView can't be used to calibrate non-NEC displays. So I will apparently need another solution for the retina (most likely bundled i1 Calibration or BasICColor Display). I am trying to wrap my head around the following:

Thanks!

I have a similar situation, an older iMac, Munki Photo and NEC PA.  I ended up purchasing BasICColor to deal w/ the iMac (since the CM sw wouldn't deal w/ the overbright iMac display).  I never could get a straight answer re: 'Can BasICColor do the hardware calibration of a PA?'  It *seems* like it should but in the end, I just bought the SV software.  So, I use SV and BasICColor on the same machine, no problem other than finding the right target X/Y params to the 2 monitors to look the same.  BasICColor does have a 14day trial so you could road-test it.  Hopefully, the Xrite s/w is good enough for the Retina so then it only becomes an issue of calibrating the NEC and at that point, the SV sw is cheaper than the BasICColor is.

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »

Don't know (use US software)

What software would you recommend?

Munki Spectrophotometer should not be atrocious. I have both but have never tried that combo.

Edit:  I used the bundled software to do my calibrations. There was lot of posterization and coloration neutral grays, visible not only on gray ramp, but also in real world images and namely UI elements. I downloaded evaluation copy of BasICColor Display software today and the results are now pretty good.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:11:13 am by MirekElsner »

howardm

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36:11 pm »

unless you're dying to spend more $$ than you have to, I'd suggest getting the XRite i1Display Pro and giving it (and its software) a spin.  If you like it, then there really is no compelling reason to get BasICColor for it's approx $150 cost (vs $90 for Spectraview) but if you want to d/l it and try it, sure, do it.  You can also
    get Argyll and DispcalGUI if you want.

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
    « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:28 pm »

Sure. I still have the Color Munki, too... Just need to figure out a combination that gives appropriate results without wasting  too much money. Looks like the SV software is a given.

ThDo

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:39:32 am »

It works perfectly with the PA display.
    In Europe you even get an OEM version of Basiccolor with the NEC monitor.

bmb

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:51:37 pm »

I use an i1 Display Pro wit the bundled x-rite software and use two displays that share the same brand, model, and age.The x-rite software allows the calibration of two displays and is supposed to make them match. They don't. Although the difference is slight I have not been able to make them match to a point where I wouldn't notice the difference.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
    « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »

I just got the new SV272 monitor from NEC to try out, and was looking at the supplied Spectraview software (V5)  In the various help text, I see that they have not changed all the text, and it calls itself BasICColor in one place ;-)

During some quick tests, it's happily calibrated both a MBP and Apple cinema display, both as second monitors. So far I've used it with a Spyder4, i1Display Pro and i1Pro 2.

Hope this info is of relevance for the OP?
    bye for now -- Keith
    [url=http://www.nor

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
    « Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 04:43:02 pm »

Yes, thank you!
    Pages: [1]   Go Up