Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 8300 and dark purples/blues...not printing well  (Read 878 times)

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
canon 8300 and dark purples/blues...not printing well
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »

I am printing photo reproductions of some paintings with lots of dark purple\blues but still with details in those dark areas. I am using the correct profile for the canvas brand and an nec monitor profiled with spectraview 2.

All the other colors come out with good matching to the monitor, just the dark purples have issues. Is this just a color type that the 8300 will not print well?

If I use PS to lighten the purples of course the entire image lightens as well.

Msongs
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: canon 8300 and dark purples/blues...not printing well
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:59 pm »

That's a gamut region that Canon inkset does unusually well at... What media are you using? What profile? What rendering intents have you used? What software is the profile made with? Are you utilizing soft proofing? If so how does the soft proof compare to the output?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »

hello,

tried the soft proof tutorial here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/soft-proofing.shtml  it was much easier to follow than other ones I used.

color gradations in dark purples areas are much better. tried to get rid of the whitish cast in the proof monitor image by using levels etc but never could get anywhere near the intensity of the original. comparing the old and new prints on canvas though showed they looked about the same in intensity of color to the eye even though the proof image on the monitor was kind of greyed out compared to the original. seems odd the final prints would look pretty much the same in intensity when the monitor pics were so different.

there was no out of gamut warning green on the soft proof image.

thanks for the help
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:20:26 pm »

seems odd the final prints would look pretty much the same in intensity when the monitor pics were so different.

Sounds like your display isn't priorly calibrate for matching paper white. Sounds like your display has a white luminance that's far brighter than what paper white looks like under your lighting. Crank that brightness down until they (display white and paper white) match and choose a color temp for matching color.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up