Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: creek bed  (Read 2087 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
creek bed
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »

This shot above the falls was taken a week after a big rain.

Harald L

Re: creek bed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:33 pm »

The structure of the creek bed itself is very interesting and reminds me of the surface of the moon (as I can imagine it;-). Unfortunately, I'm quite distracted by the busy part of the picture with the debris and twigs. Perhaps I'd consider a crop.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:19 pm »

This is another view of the small elm on the left.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »

I like the new one.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:52 am »

The second one is very good, very organic, (transcendental...? In the american sense of the word, not kantian )

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:49:53 am »

For me the second one works much better as it focusses on the interesting thing of the subject.

Thanks for considering.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:24 am »

From the shot and review in the camera, I had good expectations for the frame of the single trunk and rock.  When I saw it in the raw converter I was disappointed, left it, and wrestled at length with the more distant view.  Thanks for getting me back to it.

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:35:40 pm »

BruceThe single trunk is a good start but the lighting is flat and dull because its in the shade, and the bright corners are distracting .I know everyone has a different opinion  ::)  but if you'd care to see the changes I made, I'll post my version and explain what I did.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:01:54 am »

BruceThe single trunk is a good start but the lighting is flat and dull because its in the shade, and the bright corners are distracting .I know everyone has a different opinion  ::)  but if you'd care to see the changes I made, I'll post my version and explain what I did.

You and others are invited to say or show anything you want as long as you leave my family out of it.   Yes, the "Trunk and Rock" needs work, but I have to get back to work.  Here is a reduced scale version of what I got out of the raw converter.  With more practice and more RAM I hope to do better.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »

I need a shave or two before I go back to work.  This first file is at 100% resolution and has a little more processing.  Lest you think we abuse our trees, I believe it was sticks and stones in the rain event that scuffed up the elm.  The second frame is Rob's fault.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:45:27 am by Bruce Cox »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »

That is a really beautiful location with enormous potential for a fabulous photo, but unfortunately the lighting isn't helping the scene.  Can you go back during more dramatic light?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »

That is a really beautiful location with enormous potential for a fabulous photo, but unfortunately the lighting isn't helping the scene.  Can you go back during more dramatic light?

Yes, I'll give it another try.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:56:54 pm by Bruce Cox »

davidh202

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:41:01 pm »

Ok Bruce, here goes...
Since the light was so  flat I thought this would be a good candidate for a HDR develop to punch it up a notch...
 .  2 versions #1 done in ACR and CS6 punching up sliders and levels and curves #2 Done with  PS CS6 HDR module- screen shot of my settings included
a little gritty - just a quick go at it I was just playing around with the sliders and it could be refined more ;-)
 oh yeah I used a few dabs of content aware fill to work the corners  no family was harmed in the adjustment of this image ;-)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:13 pm »

That's one solution. Getting the sun lit areas to match the shaded area tames the ground.  I may find that useful sometime.  However, I had included and arranged the sun lit areas in order to eat away at and destabilize the ground.  At this point, I agree with fike that the light in the middle could be better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up