Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enlarger for Film Digitizing - Brainstorming  (Read 4852 times)

SZRitter

Enlarger for Film Digitizing - Brainstorming
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:55:58 pm »

So, I wanted a more permanent way to digitize my negatives and slides (from a 6x6) so I am adapting a 35mm enlarger to the task. Basic setup is Olympus E-M5 on top, then bellows/enlarging lens, then negative on light source, currently a small lightbox. Yes, I know I can get a scanner (still might), but I wanted to do this first.

Initial tests were positive, but not 100% satisfactory. The lens is very prone to flare, so I need to add a hood. The bigger problem comes in the form of lens, camera flange distance, and mounting.

The enlarger is an old Omega that I got at a garage sale for $15. Fairly good condition, and the Rodenstock lens is flawless. 50mm f2.8. Fairly good, although maybe not the sharpest. Might need to try a few different f-stops to see if I can get it a bit sharper.

Originally, I had put a Nikon mount adapter on the camera and placed that on the film carrier tray. This created a very large gap between the original film plane and sensor position. I was only able to achieve focus very close to the film. Too close. Couldn't stitch the parts in photoshop. So I removed the Nikon adapter and placed the E-M5 on a small spacer between the film carrier and camera. Focus achieved at a greater distance. About 10 shots to do a 6x6 negative. I would like it maybe just a little further, so here comes the question.

Do you think using a longer focal length enlarger lens, say a 85mm to 105mm would allow for either the use of the nikon mount or a deeper distance between lens and film plane? I keep trying to wrap my head around the geometry but can't seem to make it work. I am also looking at better ways to mount the camera on there.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Enlarger for Film Digitizing - Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »

Try to get a used Nikon LS 9000 and save yourself a lot of hassle and frustration ...
My € 0.02 ...

Cheers
~Chris

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

What's the fun in that?

I should add I already get good results with a macro lens, so this is more of a "to do it" project.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:23 pm »

Have fun then ....

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »

Here are a couple of thoughts (I am working on digitizing slides with a Nikon D800E and Olympus bellows and 80mm macro lens.

Your Omega enlarger may not be the best light source for the job for a couple reasons.  If it has a condensor head, it is going to show dust and scratches on the film more that using a diffuse light source without any real gain in resolution or accutance (collimated vs diffuse light source issue).  (I have done comparisons of digitizing with an Omega B22 as light source with and without the opalescent diffuser on the slide holder between the condenser face and the slide, and to my suprise the collimated light source did not improve the sharpness of my image, but boy did it make dust etc stand out.)  So if the Omega is a condenser enlarger, you want to put a piece of translucent plexi or similar between the film and the condenser face.  Also, since you are using an incandescent light source, in effect you are underexposing the blue channel which in theory could make the blues noisier.  You could correct for this by filtering the light source, of course.  [Edit: Ooops, just noticed you are using a light box for the light source!]

Second, calculate your reproduction ratio and pick the appropriate lens.  For example, for digitizing slides with the D800E, the Olympus 80mm f4 or Rodagon D 75mm f4 are good choices because they are optimized for 1:1 reproduction.  However, you are shooting 6 x 6 fim with a 4/3 sensor, so you might want to take a look at the Olympus m4/3 60mm macro lens which is supposed to be screamingly sharp across the frame and likely is well corrected for the magnification ratios you are shooting at (rough ballpark 1:3 or 3:1, I can never keep the ratios straight).  Alternatively, perhaps a 80mm enlarging lens, that likely is optimized for around 1:4.  The 50mm lens is not optimized for the ratio you're shooting at (it's likely around 1:10), so not the best lens for the job in any event.  [Edit: just noticed you are stitching, so never mind...]

Oh, and while an LS9000 is a nice idea, make sure you're sitting down when you check the prices.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:43:50 pm by AFairley »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »

Scanners are nice, but pick up every spec of dust and defect on the film.

Why not get a good light box and use the column of the enlarger as a copy stage to hold the camera parallel with the light box and shoot with a good macro lens? It's just a matter of aligning the camera and the light box.

You'll have less cleaning to do with your images, much, much faster digitizing of the film and still get you reasonable quality for perhaps up to 11x14 or 16x20 with good craft.

I use my copy stand and my light table to scan film and old negatives that are larger than my Coolscan 8000 and though it takes some time to set up, it's much, much faster and I have much less clean up than with the Coolscan. The Epson V700/V750 also will get you some reasonable quality scans, too.

If you need a ton of res, it's hard to beat the Coolscan, but if you've got lots of film to process, you'll save a lot of time and effort. You can always go back after scanning and pick and choose your best/favorite images for better scans after you've got the rest in.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

SZRitter

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:00:13 am »

Scanners are nice, but pick up every spec of dust and defect on the film.

Why not get a good light box and use the column of the enlarger as a copy stage to hold the camera parallel with the light box and shoot with a good macro lens? It's just a matter of aligning the camera and the light box.

You'll have less cleaning to do with your images, much, much faster digitizing of the film and still get you reasonable quality for perhaps up to 11x14 or 16x20 with good craft.

I use my copy stand and my light table to scan film and old negatives that are larger than my Coolscan 8000 and though it takes some time to set up, it's much, much faster and I have much less clean up than with the Coolscan. The Epson V700/V750 also will get you some reasonable quality scans, too.

If you need a ton of res, it's hard to beat the Coolscan, but if you've got lots of film to process, you'll save a lot of time and effort. You can always go back after scanning and pick and choose your best/favorite images for better scans after you've got the rest in.

That is the backup plan. I have a 55mm f3.5 Micro Pre-AI Nikkor that works decently well. Like I said, this is a for fun experiment. I have no money riding on this, just time. Just wanted a "mad scientist" project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up