Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macro and Medium Format  (Read 7800 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Macro and Medium Format
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:08:33 am »

What would be a good camera system to use for macro in the field? Is there any one system that has more choices of focal lengths and extension tubes etc.?
Mike

JoeKitchen

Re: Macro and Medium Format
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:13:20 am »

What would be a good camera system to use for macro in the field? Is there any one system that has more choices of focal lengths and extension tubes etc.?
Mike
By in field use, does that mean you are canceling out tech cameras?  If not, the Arca Swiss M Line Two is pretty compact and light, given that it is a bellows camera.  You can also use any lens for macro photography with it.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:51 am »

With adapters, the Leica S (maybe not "real" medium format as defined by some) has to
be one of the most versatile platforms.
You can use Leicas expensive 120 macro.
I use a metabones Mamiya to Leica adapter and use an older Mamiya manual focus
120 macro with exceptional results.
With appropriate third party adapters you can use Hasselblad V and H series lenses,
Pentax 67 lenses,and all Mamiya lenses with an aperture ring.

With Leicas expensive adapters (over $2K) one can also use Contax 645 and Hasselblad H
lenses and maintain autofocus functionality if that is a need for you.

Worth considering,at least, as there can be some decent deals around for used or refurb'd
S2 camera bodies.

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »

Hi Mike,

This Horseman VCC adaptor would be perfect for location macro photography.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221309540046?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Pics2

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:51:32 pm »

It's best to buy a macro lens.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:03:12 pm by Pics2 »

JV

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »

With adapters, the Leica S (maybe not "real" medium format as defined by some) has to
be one of the most versatile platforms.
You can use Leicas expensive 120 macro.
I use a metabones Mamiya to Leica adapter and use an older Mamiya manual focus
120 macro with exceptional results.
With appropriate third party adapters you can use Hasselblad V and H series lenses,
Pentax 67 lenses,and all Mamiya lenses with an aperture ring.

With Leicas expensive adapters (over $2K) one can also use Contax 645 and Hasselblad H
lenses and maintain autofocus functionality if that is a need for you.

Worth considering,at least, as there can be some decent deals around for used or refurb'd
S2 camera bodies.

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

Impressive work from Leica: 9 native lenses and the ability to use Contax 645, Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Pentax 67 and Mamiya lenses.

This should make Hasselblad and Phase One blush...

Hopefully they also add Rollei lenses one day!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

I've always felt that the Rolleiflex had one of the most extensive offerings for macro work.   There are extension bellows, tubes, variable extension tubes, retro adapters, 1.4x and 2.0x extenders, and the behind the lens shutter adapter.  The shutter adapter is a very light weight piece that allows the user to fit any m39 or enlarger mount lens - and Schneider designed three optics for this set up - the 28mm f/4, 50mm f/4, and 80mm f/4 M-Componons, but you can use any enlarger lens or infact fit dedicated macro lenses like the Zeiss Luminars or Leica Photars with adapter rings.    I have fitted a zork MFS tilt tube to the shutter adapter and this gives me an incredibly light set up for macro work with tilt.  I typically use the 90mm APO Rodagon with this setup.   The fact that Rollei has all the different viewfinders which can be oriented in different directions from the camera also helps quite a bit with macro work.  In my case I mostly use the lupe style viewfinder for focusing when I have the camera on a stand pointed down to the working table, or I'll use the 45 degree in the field as I find I can get a better view when the camera is low to the ground deployed under the tripod legs with the center column reversed.  The m39/40 shutter adapter with an enlarging lens is a very light and easy to hand hold set up.    If I'm also taking other shots besides macro work, I'll go with the rollei 90mm APO Macro which is a fantastic lens for all around work, but will get quite close even without tubes. People have written the 90mm may be one of the best MF lenses ever made and it gets to 2::1 without any tubes and performs as well close up as it does at infinity.  

Rollei put out a great guide book on their macro equipment called the Rollei Close up handbook, and you can download it from my site for free if you want to read more.  It covers all the magnification ratios that can be had with each combination of lenses and tubes, etc. Rollei Close Up Guide
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:09:25 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »

Impressive work from Leica: 9 native lenses and the ability to use Contax 645, Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Pentax 67 and Mamiya lenses.

This should make Hasselblad and Phase One blush...

Hopefully they also add Rollei lenses one day!

The Phase One / Mamiya platform will accept Hassy V, Pentax 67, and Mamiya lenses as well as the Schneider LS lens line and will sync up to 1/1600th with the later. You can also put a Phase/Leaf digital back on an RZ Pro IID, Fuji 680, Arca Tech Camera, Cambo Tech Camera, Alpa Tech Camera, Horseman Tech Camera, Silvestri Tech Camera, Sinar Tech Camera, or nearly any View Camera - too numerous to mention by name (with no mechanical vignette issues), or specialty cameras like our reprographic body the RCam or Aerial mapping cameras, or even build your own pinhole camera.

I don't think anyone at Team Phase blushes when it comes to broad system compatibility and flexibility :).

But kudos to Leica for added compatibility with Contax/H.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:12:36 pm by Doug Peterson »

Mike Sellers

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:50 pm »

A wealth of information! Thanks

artobest

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:18:11 pm »

Or you could shoot film with a Rollei SL66. Macro with any lens, and, what's more, every lens is reversible. Not to mention tilt for greater (or lesser) depth of field.

DanielStone

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »

Mike(OP),

do you want to shoot digital, film, or be able to do both?

A Hasselblad 501CM/503CW or motor body(553ELX/555ELD) w/ a 120 macro + extension tubes works very well, and is an "open"(and still supported) platform.
Lenses are plentiful, and you have a million options for accessories.
V-mount digital backs are quite easy/plentiful to source(unless you're looking for a cheap P45+ :D)

The Leica S-series seems to be a nice(albeit ansurdly(IMO) expensive option). Not to mention lenses.... Golly we're talking $30k+ territory here!

If you're only shooting film, then the SL66/66E is a great system(albeit with a few "quirks"). Servicing them is still kinda spotty, since parts are hard to allocate(and expensive)

-Dan

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

I love the RZ with a MF digiback like a Phase or Leaf. Large bright(can change) view screen. You can even get a bellows ext. and 75 T/S lens if needed. The 140mm is a razor blade.
Beautiful files!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mike Sellers

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 12:39:59 pm »

Does anyone have experience with the Fotoman system? At least it has shift.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »

I don't see them working for macro situations? Unless they have a body with a bellows that can get some mag, it is more a landscape arch camera.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Lacunapratum

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 09:23:20 pm »

I'd agree with Eric regarding the Rollei system.  Aside from all the lenses that can be adapted, you have four ready-made solutions for macro photography. 

The 90mm Apo-Symmar as an incredibly sharp and straight-forward entry into the macro world. 

The 120mm Makro-Planar, which is also very sharp in the macro range and allows for somewhat longer working distances.  This lens works well in combination with bellows and automatic extension rings for maximum magnification. 

The 150mm Apo-Symmar, which is the only medium format macro lens with somewhat longer focal length.  It requires the use of the bellows. 

The 60mm Curtagon in retro position, mounted on the bellows system or on extension rings.  This is the only setup that works well with fairly high magnifications (3:1) and automatic diaphragm.  This is an important feature as the viewfinder tends to be too dark at these high magnifications for proper focusing. 

For film photography, the Rolleiflex SL66 is similarly versatile. 

I find the Pentax 645D another excellent option for medium format macro photography as it offers two superb macro lenses, the 90mm and the 120mm. 

Both the Rollei and Pentax set-up work will with a number of ring flashes and macro flash systems. 

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 02:02:53 am »

FWIW, I'm trying to convince DHW-fototechnik that its worth making another run of the M39/m40 behind the lens shutter.   You can find them second hand, but they are not too common.  It's shutter with m39 threads on a helical extension.  It of course fits onto extension tubes, bellows, extenders, like a lens, but allows such a broad range of macro specific optics.  I just think it so versatile for macro work.
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

I'd certainly be interested in buying another one as it is just such a great tool.  One of the used Rolleiflex items that commands extremely high prices on ebay on those rare occasions they are available. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up