Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 90mm; Old HR Digaron vs Digital Sironar Versions  (Read 4174 times)

JoeKitchen

Rodenstock 90mm; Old HR Digaron vs Digital Sironar Versions
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:03:20 am »

So I really want to get a 90mm lens, but I do not want to deal with the extra "box" with the newer Rodie HR 90mm, which is required, not to mention the price is quite high.

So I am looking at and for older versions.  The old HR Digaron looks exactly the same (minus the different color rim) as the digital 90mm Sironar.  Is there any difference between the two?

Also, if anyone one is selling a older version of the HR 90mm Digaron in either an Arca R mount or unmounted, contact me.  joe@josephmkitchen.com.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Rodenstock 90mm; Old HR Digaron vs Digital Sironar Versions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

Joe:

Are you sure the 90mm Rod needs the extra box?  I thought that the box for the back extension started at 120mm and higher.  I have the older 105 Rod Apo-Sironar Digital in the Arca mount and it doesn't need the box.  I was considering the 90 as a replacement for the 105 being that the 90mm is a newer design but wasn't aware of the need for the extension.  

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:35:30 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:38 am »

Joe:

Are you sure the 90mm Rod needs the extra box?  I thought that the box for the back extension started at 120mm and higher.  I have the older 105 Rod Apo-Sironar Digital in the Arca mount and it doesn't need the box.  I was considering the 90 as a replacement for the 105 being that the 90mm is a newer design but wasn't aware of the need for the extension.  

Paul Caldwell

This is what I have been told by my dealer, that the newer version does require it.  This is why I would like to get an older version.  

I read that Rodenstock had renamed some of their digital Sironar lenses as Digaron HR and that the 90 was one of them.  Also, their is no info on Rodie's site about a 90mm digital sironar; they look the same as well, aside from a different color ring (blue vs. red).  (The new version has an yellow ring by the way.)  I am just wondering if they are the same lens because it does look like this is the case.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:41:57 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:35:59 am »

The latest 90 from Rodenstock is now called the w and has the blue band around the lens like the 40mm 70mm and 32mm.  As I understand it the 90mm in the w series is the same as the older 90mm which has the red band around the lens.  Rodenstock just changed the labeling to W.   

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:40:29 am »

Just went to the Rodenstock main site and now they are talking about a new 90mm SW. 120mm image circle which is smaller by 5mm then the older 90mm W at 125mm

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:07:14 am »

My mistake,  the new 90mm does take about a 1 inch spacer in the Arca mount.  It's apparently much heavier than the older version. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

lance_schad

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:02:06 pm »

Joe,

The new 90mm from Rodenstock has an extension similar to 120mm, but 40% as long-so only 1 1/4" deep.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

gazwas

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »

The Rodenstock 90mm Apo Sironar Digital (magenta band) is exactly the same lens as the 90mm HR Digaron-W (blue band) and is an amazing lens.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:29 am »

The Rodenstock 90mm Apo Sironar Digital (magenta band) is exactly the same lens as the 90mm HR Digaron-W (blue band) and is an amazing lens.

+1
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:31 am »

Problem is they are all gone both blue band and red band.  The lens Joe is referring to has the new yellow band.  It's heavier more expensive and needs the extension part. 

Gazwas I should have tried to purchase your bare lens when it was for sale.

Seems Schneider is coming out with a new 100mm sometime in 2014 that will not be as heavy or need extensions.  But I am now looking for a used 90 red or blue band.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »

Schneider Blue band HR is very sharp. noticably sharper than the older 210, or 300 macs.
I too wonder how much sharper the digitals are over the HR

wish they would pick some different colors bands between brands to not confuse them :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

gazwas

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »

Gazwas I should have tried to purchase your bare lens when it was for sale.
It was a really great copy and a bargain compared too the new SW version.

Apo-Sironar Digital (only 70mm and 90mm renamed to HR Digaron-W) and Apo Sironar Digital HR (all renamed to HR Digaron-S) had the magenta bands. HR-S being the higher resolution versions but with much smaller image circles. After the rename the HR-W got the blue band to tell them apart. Seems the new HR-SW versions will get a yellow band.

But as to Joe's question the 90HR-SW is the new lens and the older 90mm in both Apo-Sironar or HR Digaron-W are the same thing (apart from the blue band).
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?
Pages: [1]   Go Up