Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper Revisited  (Read 7913 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper Revisited
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:54 am »

Won't necessarily be everyones' experience, but Canson Platine and my Epson 4900 didn't play well together. The sheet paper had just enough curl to require vigilance that it successfully came through the paper path and after half a dozen sheets deposited enough particulates to require extensive print head cleanings taking over an hour and I'm sure quite a bit of ink to clean it all up. Won't be using that again. And it really has no practical advantage over GFS - for thoswe to whom the appearance of the photograph is more important than the feel of the backing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:30 am »

If a rag paper is what you like, try Museo Silver Rag.  It's OBA free and somewhat heavy weight.  I've not seen any paper curl in 13x19 cut sheets or smaller (I also cut larger sizes from 17 inch rolls), thus have not experienced the problem that Mark Segal saw with Canson Plantine Rag.  It has a better black point than Plantine Rag according to my measurements.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:40 am »

Alan, what printer are you using it in, and have you had any clogging issues with it from shedding of particulates? Although it's a third costlier than GFS, could be a considerable option if the quality difference is worth the price difference.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 09:44:50 am »

Won't necessarily be everyones' experience, but Canson Platine and my Epson 4900 didn't play well together. The sheet paper had just enough curl to require vigilance that it successfully came through the paper path and after half a dozen sheets deposited enough particulates to require extensive print head cleanings taking over an hour and I'm sure quite a bit of ink to clean it all up. Won't be using that again. And it really has no practical advantage over GFS - for thoswe to whom the appearance of the photograph is more important than the feel of the backing.

This experience I believe is due to Canson's move of switching mills, and it's a terrible decision.  I have also noticed this on Platine, but not the Baryta.  I was using all Canson Platine from lots prior to mid 2014 until about 3 weeks ago.  The new paper does have an issue with particulates, and this becomes even worse if you cut it without a coating of print shield. as all the particulates spread to the printed surface and can become hard to remove. 

I had noticed a total change in the Baryta with my last purchase, less overall glossy surface, but that was OK. 

The Platine looks the same, but it has the particulate issue.   When you unwrap the roll (Platine is wrapped in a protective wrapper), you can see the stuff coming off. 

As Mark mentioned this is nightmare for head clogs. 

As for Canson, I fail to understand companies like this, as they had an award winning paper, that had been given a total 100% approval from Bill Atkinson.  Then they change mills or formulation or both, and don't do a good QA on the new product. 

I am going to have to reach out to Canson when I free up a bit of time as it's too late to return the rolls to the distributor. 

I have also moved back to M Silver Rag for now until I can get an answer from Canson on the situation of Platine.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 10:25:10 am »

Alan, what printer are you using it in, and have you had any clogging issues with it from shedding of particulates? Although it's a third costlier than GFS, could be a considerable option if the quality difference is worth the price difference.
Epson 3880.  I've not had clogs with any papers that I've used and I still print a fair amount on matte paper.  I do dust each sheet with a horse hair brush to get any particulates off the paper prior to printing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:05 am »

Thanks, good to know. Anecdotal evidence suggests the 3880 is much less of a "clogger" than the 4900, and the dusting probably helps too. I bought a Datavac Electric Duster from B&H for dealing with film scanning, but it may also be useful for this purpose, insofar as nothing touches the surface and it's quite powerful.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:13 pm »

The Platine looks the same, but it has the particulate issue.   When you unwrap the roll (Platine is wrapped in a protective wrapper), you can see the stuff coming off....

I have not noticed this problem for i used it only shortly- two weeks ago...doing my first basic tests ...
Thanks for the warning!
PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »

Thanks, good to know. Anecdotal evidence suggests the 3880 is much less of a "clogger" than the 4900, and the dusting probably helps too. I bought a Datavac Electric Duster from B&H for dealing with film scanning, but it may also be useful for this purpose, insofar as nothing touches the surface and it's quite powerful.
Datavacs are great to have around.  I do a lot of computer building and repair and nothing gets the dust out better!!!

deanwork

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:01 pm »

The Platine is beautiful and is the brightest and sharpest of the non oba fiber gloss papers I've used. The texture is great.

I see three "issues" with, it. First it can scratch very easily so you must handle it with care. Second, the rolls curl like hell in the second half of the roll and can cause head strikes. Thirdly, is the powder situation occurs when you trim the print  and you can actually have this paper dust stick to the surface of the print. I've had to spot a lot of prints because of this and it is especially problematic when you are using large areas of pure black. What I do now is to let the print completely dry before trimming the media. If you are using it in a roll, set your printer to let you do the paper cutting manually after that print has dried. Then you can blow that dust off.

My black and white prints on the Platine look more like silver prints than anything I've done , so I am putting up with these flaws.

john
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up