Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a simple boat (long exposure)  (Read 2220 times)

MattyD

• My Photos
Just a simple boat (long exposure)
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:59:46 am »

Taken in Norfolk UK - Quite a nice evening, but light not as good as I would have hoped for. Will definitely go back and shot again though.

Total exposure time about 3 minutes (its in fact 6x30 second exposures blended together for the sky)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Just a simple boat (long exposure)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:56:29 am »

Nice one!
Should work very well as B/W conversion too.

ned.ward

• Ned Ward - Eternal Apprentice, I'm keen to learn.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:42:07 am »

Matty,
Smooth and sharp if that make sense, the long exposure look. Great colours and composition. I like boats, seascapes etc. Good work.
Cheers
Ned

"Hapless nobody, married with a mortgage and no job, loves photography and zany humour, seeks philanthropist with amnesia."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:29 am »

Going to be a while waiting for the tide to come in for that one.  Nicely done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:47 pm »

Beautiful shot, beautifully processed.

Can you elaborate a bit on the workflow for "6x30 second exposures blended together for the sky"?

MattyD

• My Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:02:05 pm »

Cheers all!

Beautiful shot, beautifully processed.

Can you elaborate a bit on the workflow for "6x30 second exposures blended together for the sky"?

Cheers...and sure :)

Long story short - I have a 10 stop nd filter which I hate using (colours are off, contrast is off), so I started thinking about another option, and I came up with the idea of taking lots of shots over a period of time and then blending/stacking them together in PS.

I used a 0.9nd filter and took 6x30 second shots.

Once I get home I load them into PS as layers and then you can change the transparency of each layer to fully smooth out the images.

What you're left with is an image that is in effect a 3 minute exposure with superior colour and sharpness (compared to using a big stopper.

The only downside is you have to take multiple images where you might normally take one... But of course with multiple images I can shorten the exposure time (by removing images).

Anyway...as it happens I'm not the 1st to think of this, and just yesterday I read this...I'm sure this explains the process better than I have!

http://www.verdantvista.com/gallery.php?doc=tut9

http://www.verdantvista.com/blog.php?article8

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:03:38 pm by MattyD »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:35:25 pm »

This is a really slick technique and I am off to the beach in a few to make some exposures.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Harald L

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »

Impressive work. Thank you for the recipe.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

dhancock

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »

Great shot!

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:31:00 pm »

Certainly not as dramatic as Matty's, but I went out and gave it a shot today just to see how the effect worked and to experiment with layer percentages. It's an interesting approach and given the right lighting, this could be quite beneficial as another PP tool. I did both of my shots is relatively bright light. The sun was darting in and out of clouds though for the most part it was almost always masked by a good amount of haze.

The first is a simple water across the bay shot and the second is of mustard grasses and sea oats on the dunes.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

MattyD

• My Photos
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 06:00:08 am »

Nice work Chris,

The effects a little hard to see, but Its there. I suggest next time use an ND filter and aim for 10second exposures....Take a minutes worth and stack them together. The effect should be more obvious then.

Heres another shot Iv just posted. Still had to use an ND filter for it, but by stacking images I was able to get a 6-7 20 second exposures with little effort.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84212.0

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:32:55 am »

I did use an .9 GND, I just tried to do it at too late a time in the day and my exposures were too short. When I can get a decent sky to work with and no rain, I'll give it another go. It did work, however and that put a smile on my face. Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up