Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunbursts in history  (Read 752 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Sunbursts in history
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:52:15 am »

I recently had to go to the town of Évora, in Portugal's Alentejo province. Évora is a World Heritage Site, a nice little town full of history, since pre-historic to roman times. I left Lisbon very early, to catch the sunrise in the Cromeleque dos Almendres preserved site. This is one of the largest set of such pre-historic assemblages in the Iberian Peninsula. I did manage to catch the sunrise, and played around with trying to find interesting sunbursts in the rocks (photo #1). I also include a general view of the site, for reference (photo #2).

Later on, in Évora, I also photographed the roman Temple of Diana with a sunburst. This temple is located in an open area, but surrounded by modern buildings, and it is very difficult to make a really interesting photograph. I am happy with this one (photo #3).

Then I went to have breakfast in a small café, where these nice ladies were having their breakfast too. I was maybe two metres away from them, but they did not notice the camera, the silent Fuji XPro1 (photo #4).

If you come to Portugal, this is definitely a region worth spending some time on.

Kind regards.

francois

Re: Sunbursts in history
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:46 am »

Four different photos and I my favorites are #1: with that nice sunburst, #3: you managed to combine two different architecture styles in a difficult light and #4: spirit of the place!

It was definitely a good day!
Francois

churly

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:27 am »

Does indeed sound like a great day!
Having never shot a successful sunburst myself, I have a few thoughts for what they are worth.  In #1 maybe shooting hyperfocal so both the foreground rocks and the trees are in focus would have given a sharper rendering of the sun in the trees?  In #3 IMO the columns need a bit of light to give them life.  In the absence of a giant reflector, it might be possible to double process and blend.
Just some thoughts.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

batmura

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »

Great work, especially one and three.
Pages: [1]   Go Up