Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iSO7 iPad and Capture Remote--anyone else having problems?  (Read 9195 times)

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
iSO7 iPad and Capture Remote--anyone else having problems?
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:51:21 pm »

I have been using Capture Remote with my iPad and IQ280 just fine until upgraded to iSO7--now 7.0.3.  Is there a fix for this problem?  Is anyone else having the problem or had the problem and have a work a around?  Thanks

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: iSO7 iPad and Capture Remote--anyone else having problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:30:34 am »

I'm not having any problems, at least not any more that I had before the upgrade.

I still need to shutdown and restart C1 Pilot from time to time and I can't let the iPad sleep or a C1P restart is required, Oh and Capture 1 on the Mac is needs a restart from time to time as well..

But all of this is unchanged in IO7, and bug fixes from Phase One would be great.
Craig Lamson Photo

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:36 am »

If you are using WiFi, using Capture Pilot to fire the camera, then the iOS6 to iOS7 did create some pretty serious connection issues.  You can read a lot more here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/48637-phase-one-iq2-series-wifi-bug-ios7.html

The big difference is how the Phase One camera (IQ2) only with WiFi are defined to the iOS7 networking interface.  The instructions provided by Steve Hendrix work about 80% of the time for me but I still have issues at times.  However I have never been able to connect with the "new" server created, I still have to connect to the actual Phase One camera when it shows up.

If you are using a laptop with Capture One and then firing the camera with Capture pilot, (with camera tethered via USB2 or 3), then this is a different issue.  I don't work tethered since I am using a tech camera with a IQ260. 

IMO there are a lot of issues with the Capture Pilot software and iOS7 which become compounded with a retina display iPad. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:08:13 am »

If you are using WiFi, using Capture Pilot to fire the camera, then the iOS6 to iOS7 did create some pretty serious connection issues.  You can read a lot more here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/48637-phase-one-iq2-series-wifi-bug-ios7.html

The big difference is how the Phase One camera (IQ2) only with WiFi are defined to the iOS7 networking interface.  The instructions provided by Steve Hendrix work about 80% of the time for me but I still have issues at times.  However I have never been able to connect with the "new" server created, I still have to connect to the actual Phase One camera when it shows up.

If you are using a laptop with Capture One and then firing the camera with Capture pilot, (with camera tethered via USB2 or 3), then this is a different issue.  I don't work tethered since I am using a tech camera with a IQ260. 

IMO there are a lot of issues with the Capture Pilot software and iOS7 which become compounded with a retina display iPad. 

Paul Caldwell

I'm using it to fire a Canon and I use an Airport Express (older version wit the built in 110v plug) on location to boost my wifi connection.  That alone eliminated may of he connection problems I initially had.

I generally shoot with  a non retina mini but I suspect Ill add the mini retina when it gets released.
Craig Lamson Photo

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:24:31 am »

All is fine if you are using a airport express or any other type of WiFi hub.  My issue I am in the field and need to preview the shots over WiFi and the Airport express won't work since it needs AC power.  I have looked for a battery powered hub but so far no luck. 

The use of the Airport Express allows a non Adhoc connection also if I understand the process which is a much more reliable connection.  Non Adhoc from the IQ2 to iPad.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »

I am using the iPad and Capture remote with the ad hoc network setting, since most of my work is in the field and no wifi available and even if it were, bringing networking equipment sort of defeats the purpose, don't you think?  At home or in the studio where I already have a network and wifi going 24/7, it works just fine on my network.  The ad hoc worked fine with iSO6 (and Retina display btw) also and did just what I upgraded to the 280 to do. Also, working tethered, as little as I do it, has never been a problem--just the ad hoc network with iSO 7. 

Craig, thanks for the DPI / Hedrix link--I'll look at that closely today.

Dennis

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »

Dennis:

Sorry, I took for granted that the "adhoc" referred to usage of the IQ2/WiFi in the field (which is how I am attempting to connect 100% of the time). In my first post I never used the term adhoc however all my info in that post refers to the use of the adhoc option in the field (where no networks exist) and  attempting to connect to the IQ260 with Capture Pilot over the adhoc option.  Your last post seems to imply I either don't understand what the adhoc option is or why one would need to select it.  

My info on the airport was just for general reference and to point out that as long as a normal router or other WiFi hotspot exists the connectivity is much better.

I provided the link to the Getdpi post written by Steve Hendrix as it has  provided some help but is not a 100% fix.   I have been working directly with Phase One NY on this for over 2 weeks.  Since the release of iSO7, the WiFi connectivity between the iPad and a IQ2 has been become a considerable issue mainly since the IQ back is now considered a device instead of a server as it was in iOS6.  

The fix that Steve Hendrix wrote about in the post I referred to works at times, but it not a 100% fix at least with a IQ260, using the Adhoc setting for WiFi.  I also point out that by following the instructions from Steve, by the letter, you may not still be able to connect.  On my system, you have to still connect via the actual back when it finally shows up on the listed server screen.  If you don't' follow the instructions, the Phase One server never shows up. Attempting to connect with the new server created by the instructions does not work with my iPad/IQ2.  

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:12 pm »

Dennis:

Sorry, I took for granted that the "adhoc" referred to usage of the IQ2/WiFi in the field (which is how I am attempting to connect 100% of the time). In my first post I never used the term adhoc however all my info in that post refers to the use of the adhoc option in the field (where no networks exist) and  attempting to connect to the IQ260 with Capture Pilot over the adhoc option.  Your last post seems to imply I either don't understand what the adhoc option is or why one would need to select it.  

Paul Caldwell

Paul,
I certainly didn't imply anything, especially not what you inferred.  After reading the other posts, I thought I'd add a little more detail to my post to assist in diagnosing the problem and fix if it wasn't the iOS 7 update that was the culprit.  I'm sure you understand much more about this stuff than I do--seriously, no sarcasm implied ;D  I'd appreciate any info you get that helps use the 280 with the iPad and iPhone--that's really the main reason I upgraded.

Dennis

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:16 am »

Dennis:

Sorry as I took that last post out of context, long day on another issue with Apple where they 1.  can provide no support 2,  don't even admit there is a problem. 

I gotten tired of the way large companies like Apple and Microsoft can just wash a problem under the rug knowing full well the end user can't afford to take the appropriate action. 

In a nutshell here is how I understand what happened.  The upgrade from iOS6 to 7 changes the way a device like the Phase One back is seen by the iPad, now it's only a device not a server.  As I understand it, the adhoc networking option allows the back to become it's own mobile hotspot, and with iOS6 the iPad saw the Phase One back as a server and would allow a connection.  There were other issues once you connected but 99% of the time on the 1st attempt you could see the Phase One back as a server and connect.  Capture Pilot is looking for a server not a device so now when you go in under iOS7 even if you make the connection, Capture Pilot will not ever connect. 

Steve's post shows that you can read the IP address the back creates, then open a New server connection under Capture Pilot listing the IQ2's unique serial number.  Apparently Capture Integration got this to work with their IQ2 backs, but with mine I still can't ever make the connection to the new server that is created. 

What does occur about 80 to 85% of the time is the original Phase One server box reappears above the "new" server you create and I can connect to it.  Once this connection is made I am OK until I either power off the back or ipad or the back goes to sleep, then I have to start the process all over again.    Other photographers using the method written up by CI seem to be OK and can connect to the "new" server. 

If I don't get the Phase One back listed as a server within about 30 seconds in Capture Pilot, I will power the back off and on and see if it will reconnect, and if that doesn't work, I will reboot the iPad and see if then I can connect.  It's still very hit and miss for me, enough that I would not want to be working with a Customer in the field to show them previews etc.

The part that still bothers me the most is that iOS7 was out for developers since April of 2013 or sooner.  There was plenty of time for Phase One to test Capture Pilot and see what the problems were going to be.  Since Phase relies on their dealer network for front line support they should have issued a pretty harsh warning not to upgrade to iOS7.  If one was issued I never saw it.  For me it was moot anyway since my iPad is also my point of sale and I had to move to iOS7 to be PCI compliant. 

That Phase One also just copied the instructions that CI wrote also concerns me since it implies Phase feels this is the "workaround"   

I have a feeling that due to the wireless card/controller in the IQ2's that have shipped it's very possible that there may not be a fix until either a new firmware for the back comes out to address that iOS7 needs or the actual WiFi chip has to be replaced.  Hopefully the later will not be a requirement.  But this did occur with some P45+ back's where controller cards would not support the firmware to get to 1 hour exposures (I owned one of them).  Phase did take care of me 100% on that issue so I am still hoping to see a formal fix sooner than later or at least a response as to if a fix is possible via firmware to the back.  Phase may also be able to re-write the Capture Pilot app so that it accepts a device not a server. 

Obviously there are still other issues, with the iPad IQ2 back connection once you are connected:

1.  refresh rate is slow
2.  thumbnails should load from most current shot taken not the beginning of the card ( or at least give this as an option as with 32GB cards getting to the most current image can take a while)
3.  Retina monitor support is not taking full advantage of the resolution of the retina display (this may not be possible to fix however most games can support it)
4.  Lags when loading an image at 100% which can occur at anytime
5.  The fact that when Capture Pilot freezes, it also freezes the IQ2 back and you can't power the back off until you power off the iPad ( I run into this a lot in the field)
6.  NO support for the android OS which is sad since the Google or Samsung tablets have a much easier screen to read outdoors

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:04 pm »

Has either CO newest up grade or Apple's  solved this problem?  Haven't heard so I assume not, but if there has been a fix give me a heads up.. Thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:38 pm »

As far as I know there has not been any upgrade to Capture Pilot to fix the issues with iOS 7 on the phone or iPad.  Issues enumerated in previous post in this thread still exist.  Sadly.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gregohb

• Commercial and Fashion Site
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:09 am »

I am tethering to Capture One on a MacbookPro and created a local network, and then run Capture Pilot on an iphone5 with ios7 and I have NEVER been able to get it to connect (iOS6 and now iOS7), even with the phone 2 inches from the computer. I am going to try some re-installs though.

gdh

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 11:08:11 am »

Has the local network with Capture Pilot ever got back off the ground?  I haven't seen anything published by Phase One saying "it's back running", nor any blog comments--it seems to be just been ignored--but I now see that Canon and other manufacturers are advertising their local wifi networks for image transfer and viewing while shooting on ISO devices.  This was a major selling point for Phase One in selling their IQ2's--a main reason I bought mine.

Anyone here tried it successfully recently? I can do it on an established wifi, but not using the PhaseOne local network as i once could. If you are using the local network again, I'd appreciate knowing how you're doing so--even just a link to a block or article I've missed.  Thaks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:26 am »

Yes, it works, with the latest version of Capture Pilot, you can make the connection to the Phase Back, using the IP address of the back.  It might take a few tries but I can always connect.  There was a great piece written on the Capture Integration blog several months ago, but it's still up I am sure.  They point out most of the pratfalls and issues with the connection.   With a DF or DF+ you have a good selection of camera controls and these work very well, at least on my DF, so the remote part seems very good.  It's the playback, image review that needs much more work.

I have since moved to the Surface Pro 3, and just don't use this feature anymore. 

Image display is much less detailed at 100%, enough that you have to back down to around 70% or so and even then the speeds are slow.  Connection is still not rock solid and it's still possible to totally lose the connection and then be locked out until: reboot the back, reboot the Ipad, sometime both need it, sometime only one.

Moving around the files is also pretty slow still. 

Phase has an excellent tethering setup, much more refined and now with USB3 working the results are far superior. 

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »

I believe that this is the blog link you refer to:  https://captureintegration.com/ios-7-the-iq2-ad-hoc-capture-pilot-quick-fix/

At the time is said that Phase One was researching and permanent fix on the way and that this was only a "quick fix."  I was never able to get it to work, but I'll try it with latest version of Capture One.  It seems however the Phase One has abandoned this feature as nothing about it in their advertising that I can see.  It's the ad hoc networking that I want to use as most of my work in the field. I'm a big fan of Phase One, but they seem to have quietly disowned the hype when they were selling the initial IQ2's.  That's the only reason I upgraded from a 180 to 280.  This feature should work and work well.  I hope it does--I'll try it shortly. It would be nice to have a Phase One technical person address the issue on here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up