Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for a good HEAVY satin finish photo paper - Sunset eSatin feedback?  (Read 5245 times)

Roscolo

Been using HP ID Satin. Don't too as much photo printing, but that part of the biz has picked up lately. Looking for a new HEAVIER photo paper with a similar finish to the HP ID satin. Printing on HP z3100 and Canon ipf8300 (both 44").  Sadly the Canon 300gsm product is discontinued. In another thread someone put the Lexjet Sunset Photo eSatin Paper as a replacement. It's 300gsm and 44" wide also. Anyone using this paper on a z3100 or ipf8300? Satisfied? Problems? Probably not gonna spend much time sampling stuff, etc. Trust the forum. And I just got a big photo print job so I've gotta get moving on this.

Thanks

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography

Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl might work for you. It's available in a 310 gsm version.

Canson PhotoSatin Premium is only 270 gsm but, if that's heavy enough for you, it is a really nice paper.

Kanvas Keepsakes

I just purchased a roll of the Sunset eSatin.  It's a thicker paper almost like a card stock but real nice satin finish.  Almost instant dry and no finger prints.  Great paper.  They'e coming out with a smaller weight esatin as well I believe. 

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography

Roscolo,

Have you not tried  HP's Pro Satin? I think it makes the HP ink set sing. It's all I've used for my glossy color prints since I bought my Z3100 years ago. I think it's as good as it gets.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Roscolo

Roscolo,

Have you not tried  HP's Pro Satin? I think it makes the HP ink set sing. It's all I've used for my glossy color prints since I bought my Z3100 years ago. I think it's as good as it gets.

I have not. But 44" HP Pro Satin is $175 for only 50 ft.  Sunset eSatin is $226 for 100 ft. Both are 300gsm. Advantage eSatin.

Have you used the Sunset eSatin? Be nice to hear from someone who has used both papers on a z3100/z3200 and/or a Canon ipf8300/8400 to see if one is appreciably better than the other. I just want to use one good satin photo paper on both printers. Leaning towards the eSatin.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography

No, never tried the eSatin. Maybe someone else can help.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography

I have tried several Lexjet papers, including their Sunset eSatin (11.5 mil) and Sunset semi-matte (10.5 mil), and their Sunset Fibre gloss (14 mil), all on my ipf8300.

The eSatin has a bluer white than the other two papers, and, personally, the surface sheen wasn't to my liking. I prefer the minimal sheen of their semi-matte. While the eSatin is thicker, it didn't feel any thicker or more substantial that the semi-matte.

The fibre gloss definitely feels thicker and must be uncurled before presentation. It's like a curly potato chip, especially toward the end of the paper roll. Its subtle surface texture is not random, and its pattern can be seen on large prints (e.g., 24x36).

Unfortunately, they don't have sample packs of the photo papers, but you can always ask. I did and received a few sheets prior to placing an order (but they've been my supplier for years).
~ CB

Roscolo

I got a roll of eSatin from Lexjet. Here is my feedback. I had been using HP Premium ID Satin (not Professional Satin).

Weight: The eSatin is heavier and much harder to ding than the HP Premium ID Satin. The HP Premium ID is very easy to ruin a print just carrying it from the printer or transporting.

Appearance: The eSatin appears to be a brighter, truer, white. The HP Premium ID Satin looks almost slightly yellow in comparison. But the HP Premium ID roll I'm using for comparison is probably at least 2-3 years old. The surface sheen of the papers is identical. Literally look exactly the same.

Gloss differential on the Canon ipf8300 is likewise exactly the same on the Lexjet eSatin as it is on HP Premium ID Satin. Very minimal. That's using my custom profile for each paper. Using the canned profile downloaded from Lexjet, the gloss differential is slightly more noticeable. On the HP z3100 there is no gloss differential at all on either paper thanks to HP's Gloss Enhancer.

Lexjet provides a really good profile for their eSatin for the ipf8300. The primary difference in their profile and mine was slight improvement in gloss differential in my profile. I also got excellent, near indistinguishable results when I used my profile I built for HP Premium ID Satin on test prints on Lexjet eSatin on the ipf8300.

I printed 2 photo jobs for 2 of my more discerning customers, color and black-and-white photographs for exhibition, on Lexjet eSatin on the HP z3100. Both customers loved the results and greatly preferred the heavier weight of the eSatin. These customers had used some more premium papers in the past (Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta) as well as cheaper stuff (HP Premium ID Satin, HP Litho) and both seemed happy I gave them a more economical alternative while still using a paper with substantial weight.

Conclusion: I have a new general purpose photo paper. The Lexjet eSatin is less expensive than HP Professional Satin, and Lexjet sells 100ft. rolls of eSatin as opposed to only 50 ft. rolls being available for the HP Pro Satin. Both are 44" wide. Weight is the same. If you're looking for a heavier photo paper than most of the satin photo papers out there, or a less expensive alternative to HP Professional Satin, or a replacement for the discontinued heavyweight paper Canon used to offer, I would recommend giving the Lexjet eSatin a go.

I'm not affiliated with Lexjet. They looked after replacing a damaged roll very well for me and I've never had any problems with Lexjet. Lexjet would get a lot more business from me if they had some sort of minimum order over which shipping is free like almost every other supplier. That said, their eSatin looks like an outstanding product and easier on the wallet than the alternatives, even factoring in the few bucks for shipping.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:10:25 pm by Roscolo »

Randall Teasley

I use it all the time.  It is an excellent proofing paper and some of my clients actually prefer it to the more expensive rag based papers  I normally do finished prints on.  I'm using an Epson 9890 and older Epson 4000 for my printing. Drying time is almost instantaneous and colors pop off the page.  I highly recommend it.  Their customer service is also very good.  Michael Roosa is my account rep and he's very helpful but I haven't talked to anyone there who wasn't helpful.  Shipping is the only sticking point.  It doesn't take much to reach their $29.95 maximum rate. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up