Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one p40+ and cold weather  (Read 3560 times)

david distefano

phase one p40+ and cold weather
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:18 am »

I had almost made up my mind, when current situation passes, to purchase a p40+. I was reading more deeply into the specs and it says that the low temp is 32 degrees F. I do a lot of hiking at high elevations in the sierra during winter since I only live 30 miles from Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP's and 70 miles from Yosemite NP, and this would be a problem for me. Is this temperature rating a hard and fast rule or are there ways around it?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: phase one p40+ and cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:44 am »

Hi,

That is common specification for almost all cameras. Phase One, Nikon, Canon. I think it is crazy.

The stuff works also in the cold, I would think.

Best regards
Erik

I had almost made up my mind, when current situation passes, to purchase a p40+. I was reading more deeply into the specs and it says that the low temp is 32 degrees F. I do a lot of hiking at high elevations in the sierra during winter since I only live 30 miles from Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP's and 70 miles from Yosemite NP, and this would be a problem for me. Is this temperature rating a hard and fast rule or are there ways around it?
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:49 pm »

Back in the day's of the P45+, Phase One had a video where they showed someone take a P45+ (I know it was one of the P+ backs) out of a freezer and then turn it on, then take a picture.  With the P40+ you are dealing with pretty much the same technology, (case, screen) with most likely a different controller card, CCD etc.  I personally used my P45+ in conditions where the temperature was well below 32 degrees F.  I believe the lowest I ever got was around 10 degrees above 0 F.  The only issue you may have will be battery life as the colder conditions will sap the cells faster. 

Congratulations on the P40+.  I did want to ask if you looked at a IQ140 instead.  I realize there is a cost difference, but the IQ screen and feature set may make the extra worth it.  If you are planning on using a tech camera (which the IQ140 is an excellent fit for) the IQ screen is well worth it. 

One other note, Phase historically offers their best deals in December.  I have seen deals every year around the 10th of the month.  There is no idea on what product set that Phase will give a extra incentive on and this year they may not but in past years December has always been when deals come out. 

Hopefully you are working with a dealer and they can get you a demo of the IQ140 also. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

NickCroken

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »

Like Erik said, I wouldn't worry about it.  I had my Aptus 65 in -30c on multiple occasions and it worked fine. The phase is lacking the cooling fan if I recall correctly so there aren't even any moving parts to worry about.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

P40+ won't miss a beat in cold weather. Here is the video alluded to earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDsW8uTorY&list=PLEBC3C8680159D13F&index=50

The batteries, once they get cold, won't last long. But it's not that they drain faster, it's that they don't perform once cold. So if you have two fully charged batteries then you can keep one in the camera and one in your pocket, and switch them out when the one in the battery gets cold - you can continue like this for a good while before either battery will be truly empty.

A P40+ refurb is a good value right now, but a P45+ may suite your needs better based on the very brief description you gave of your work. Make sure you're working with a dealer that steps you through all your options, sends you raw files to examine, can set you up with a test shoot or evaluation rental and will be there for all the questions and support/service you might need in the coming years.

Update: Sorry David, didn't recognize your name right away. You've been working with us, and I've already sent you lots of tech info to help you pick between those backs and also sent you some raw files. I look forward to having you as a customer!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:26:09 pm by Doug Peterson »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:11:16 pm »

Hi Doug,

What is the advantage of the P45+ over the P40+?

Best regards
Erik

P40+ won't miss a beat in cold weather. Here is the video alluded to earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDsW8uTorY&list=PLEBC3C8680159D13F&index=50

The batteries, once they get cold, won't last long. But it's not that they drain faster, it's that they don't perform once cold. So if you have two fully charged batteries then you can keep one in the camera and one in your pocket, and switch them out when the one in the battery gets cold - you can continue like this for a good while before either battery will be truly empty.

A P40+ refurb is a good value right now, but a P45+ may suite your needs better based on the very brief description you gave of your work. Make sure you're working with a dealer that steps you through all your options, sends you raw files to examine, can set you up with a test shoot or evaluation rental and will be there for all the questions and support/service you might need in the coming years.

Update: Sorry David, didn't recognize your name right away. You've been working with us, and I've already sent you lots of tech info to help you pick between those backs and also sent you some raw files. I look forward to having you as a customer!
Erik Kaffehr

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:01 pm »

What is the advantage of the P45+ over the P40+?

+ Larger sensor
+ Long Exposures

Also the color is different between the P45+ (Kodak) and P40+ (Dalsa). Most of our clients end up preferring the Dalsa rendering, but since it's a matter of preference there is no right or wrong answer and any given photographer may prefer the look from the Kodak sensor.

On the flip side the P40+ offers sensor+, a built in horizon-indicator, modestly better live view (computer only), faster shooting speeds (aka frame rate) and camera-controls when connected to an AF, DF or DF+ body.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

Thanks!

Erik

+ Larger sensor
+ Long Exposures

Also the color is different between the P45+ (Kodak) and P40+ (Dalsa). Most of our clients end up preferring the Dalsa rendering, but since it's a matter of preference there is no right or wrong answer and any given photographer may prefer the look from the Kodak sensor.

On the flip side the P40+ offers sensor+, a built in horizon-indicator, modestly better live view (computer only), faster shooting speeds (aka frame rate) and camera-controls when connected to an AF, DF or DF+ body.
Erik Kaffehr

LynnNoah

• http://myfairpoint.net
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »

I''ve used a P-40+ since they came out, in temperatures well below zero (F) around my home in northern Vermont and in mid-winter photo trips to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks as other cold spots.  Never any problem.  As Doug suggests, keep a spare battery in an inside pocket, but I have seldom needed it.

A tip:  if you fall with it in deep snow as I have, turn it off and take out the battery until you can brush it down well. Also, anytime you return to a heated area leave it inside inside a tightly closed padded pack or loose plastic bag until it can warm to room temperature. Have fun!

Lynn 

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 06:54:44 pm »

A tip:  if you fall with it in deep snow as I have, turn it off and take out the battery until you can brush it down well. Also, anytime you return to a heated area leave it inside inside a tightly closed padded pack or loose plastic bag until it can warm to room temperature. Have fun!

An excellent point Lynn. The back won't be bothered by cold temperatures, but in the worst-case scenario big temperature changes can result in very high levels of condensation. In six years I haven't had a customer with any problems caused by such condensation, but I wouldn't want you to be a first!

torger

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 05:20:57 am »

Having had cold weather problems with digital backs I've closely followed lots of user reports, and the digital back range I would trust the most would be the P+. Haven't seen a single report of having cold weather problems, and that's surely not the case for all backs.

If you would get problems be really really stubborn. Usually there's two ways the support will tackle the problem: 1) "it's only guaranteed down to 0C, tough luck for you", 2) "surely we will help you out to have the back work as any would expect a modern digital camera to work, ie manage sub-zero temperatures just fine".

Phase One web support will give you 1), but if you reach past that you'll probably find 2) and eventually get help. They don't seem to have a clear policy how to handle these type of issues, or they just give you some resistance so only those that reeaaally need cold weather function will get help :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up