Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolleiflex Hy6 as a film camera?  (Read 5099 times)

Ligament

Rolleiflex Hy6 as a film camera?
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:04 am »

Howdy all,

I am looking for informed opinions on the Rolleiflex Hy6 system specifically for 6x6 FILM photography. I love the square image, I love waist level viewfinders. I'm intrigued about TTL metering and autofocus on the Rolleiflex Hy6, which would be a true luxury in 6x6 film photography.

I would never use this system with a digital back. Only interested in film.

Any opinions, or alternate solutions?

Thanks!

JV

Re: Rolleiflex Hy6 as a film camera?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:44:45 am »

I have a Rolleiflex Hy6 and exclusively shoot film with it.  I don’t have a digital back.

I see it as an improved more modern version of the my Hasselblad 503CW with a built-in meter and auto focus.

The meter is good.  Autofocus is okay and accurate but not world class.  The autofocus on my Hasselbad H4X eg. is better, not to mention the the autofocus on non-MDF cameras.

Also struggling in low light.  I manually focus in low light but that being said,  manual focusing is a breeze though with the focus confirmation.

The glass (both Schneider and Zeiss) is really really good, often close to exceptional.  I bought 12 lenses during the last 2 years.  I haven’t regretted buying any of them.

Two cons if you want:

•   no Phase One digital backs.  It sounds like that is not an issue for you
•   the widest lens is 40mm (not counting a fisheye lens), for me this  is also not an issue

If you love the Hasselblad V experience you will most certainly adore the Rolleiflex Hy6.  Heavily recommended.

PS.  My Hasselblad V is collecting dust in a cupboard...  Most likely it is going to go pretty soon...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:05:43 am by JV »

Ligament

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »

I have a Rolleiflex Hy6 and exclusively shoot film with it.  I don’t have a digital back.

I see it as an improved more modern version of the my Hasselblad 503CW with a built-in meter and auto focus.

The meter is good.  Autofocus is okay and accurate but not world class.  The autofocus on my Hasselbad H4X eg. is better, not to mention the the autofocus on non-MDF cameras.

Also struggling in low light.  I manually focus in low light but that being said,  manual focusing is a breeze though with the focus confirmation.

The glass (both Schneider and Zeiss) is really really good, often close to exceptional.  I bought 12 lenses during the last 2 years.  I haven’t regretted buying any of them.

Two cons if you want:

•   no Phase One digital backs.  It sounds like that is not an issue for you
•   the widest lens is 40mm (not counting a fisheye lens), for me this  is also not an issue

If you love the Hasselblad V experience you will most certainly adore the Rolleiflex Hy6.  Heavily recommended.

PS.  My Hasselblad V is collecting dust in a cupboard...  Most likely it is going to go pretty soon...

Thanks JV. Are you aware of any differences with normal and low light AF performance on the Mod 2 version vs. Mod 1?

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »

I've handled the Hy6, and shot the 6008AF a few times.  As compared to the V system, its incredible.  The AF is useful.  Auto advance is nice, nicer than the horrible V winder.  The Schneider lenses are different than the Zeiss CF lenses for blad.  I like them very much.  For people photography it is a much better camera than the V system.  Meter works well.

My only issue with the Hy6 and 6008AF is the cost.  For me, I couldn't justify the expenditure, even when I was making a living from photography and could write it off.  Also, as a magazine photographer, the square did not work for me.  The RZ was a better choice, or 35mm digital.

If I had an extra $10k laying around I would buy a Hy6.  No doubt.  I think it is the best camera still manufactured.

JV

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:24 pm »

Thanks JV. Are you aware of any differences with normal and low light AF performance on the Mod 2 version vs. Mod 1?

Not sure, I don't believe so.  There is a list of differences somewhere but i couldn't find it right now.  And please don't get me wrong either.  The autofocus is perfectly usable and accurate.  I use it all the time.  If you are coming from a DSLR background however it might just not be as snappy as you are used to. 

If you are looking for more general information on the Hy6 there is an excellent informational write-up here:
http://www.gigi-photos.com/hy6.pdf

and if you are located in the US and on the West Coast I would strongly advise you to get in touch with Eric Hiss.  He is the Rolleiflex dealer in the US located in San Francisco and also member of this forum:

http://rolleiflex.us

He might also be able to arrange a demo so that you can experience for yourself whether the Hy6 would be a good fit for you or not.

Joris.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:22 pm »

Hi Guys!   

Now that I'm a dealer, I don't want to break any forum rules here, but I'm still a fan boy of the system!  Probably now my comments should be discounted some, but I love the Hy6 with film and still recommend the 6008's for film too.    Okay a tiny bit heavier, but with the same lenses and now at 1/4 cost of the Hy6 Mod2 and if you compared new   I like the film inserts better on the 6000 series since they are faster to load and change out.  I think the metering is better on the Hy6 and using it with film is like driving a Mercedes.  Yes, I do have now a Hy6 mod2 for demo, plus a 6008i2 and also a FW TLR.

My only issue with the Hy6 and 6008AF is the cost. 
TMARK - have you seen my prices on the 6008's?  I had to double and triple check my pricing on the 6008 i2 and 6008AF bodies and kits. Still amazed by it, really.  I still have an RZ pro II system in the closet - and its another great camera. Its hard to beat the value of these on the 2nd hand market, but if one wants to buy new,  the 6008AF new with warranty is now only half the price of a new RZ pro iiD.
Rolleiflex USA

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »

Eric, I really meant back in the day and for cost I was considering a full system change out from RZ to 6008AF. I think the 6008, just from a design standpoint alone, is incredible. Is it still in production?   What about parts? I do love the system and am constantly tempted.

Hi Guys!   

Now that I'm a dealer, I don't want to break any forum rules here, but I'm still a fan boy of the system!  Probably now my comments should be discounted some, but I love the Hy6 with film and still recommend the 6008's for film too.    Okay a tiny bit heavier, but with the same lenses and now at 1/4 cost of the Hy6 Mod2 and if you compared new   I like the film inserts better on the 6000 series since they are faster to load and change out.  I think the metering is better on the Hy6 and using it with film is like driving a Mercedes.  Yes, I do have now a Hy6 mod2 for demo, plus a 6008i2 and also a FW TLR.
TMARK - have you seen my prices on the 6008's?  I had to double and triple check my pricing on the 6008 i2 and 6008AF bodies and kits. Still amazed by it, really.  I still have an RZ pro II system in the closet - and its another great camera. Its hard to beat the value of these on the 2nd hand market, but if one wants to buy new,  the 6008AF new with warranty is now only half the price of a new RZ pro iiD.

JV

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:48 pm »

TMARK - have you seen my prices on the 6008's?  I had to double and triple check my pricing on the 6008 i2 and 6008AF bodies and kits. Still amazed by it, really.  I still have an RZ pro II system in the closet - and its another great camera. Its hard to beat the value of these on the 2nd hand market, but if one wants to buy new,  the 6008AF new with warranty is now only half the price of a new RZ pro iiD.

They should really advertise this more!

$2k for a new Rollei 6008AF (including film back, charger, battery, etc) is truly amazing value.

Lenses can either be had for cheap on eBay or are still available new.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:49:49 pm by JV »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:46 am »

I think the 6008, just from a design standpoint alone, is incredible. Is it still in production?   What about parts? I do love the system and am constantly tempted.

I've got a special deal going right now on the 6008i2 kits with 80mm xenotar PQS, film back,  etc. and I think there are approx 7 of those kits left.  After that they will not assemble more but keep the parts on the 6008i2 for service. Of course they can always make more if demand is there but with the Hy6 and Hy6 Mod2 its hard to see them keeping the 6008i2 for ever.  The 6008AF will be available as far as I know,  I haven't been told anything otherwise from the factory, however having run a manufacturing operations in the past life, I know its all demand related and only economic to make the parts in certain sized batches.   I suppose when they sell out stock, each time they have to decide if there's demand enough for another run.  But they are still offering the TLR's of course and even the Rollei 35's (highly pimped out) so who knows? 

Rolleiflex USA

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 12:57:08 pm »

I would buy a 6008i or AF and use the spare money for some more lenses. Extra backs and inserts are cheap and easy to use.
The lenses are very much worth it. Of course, if money is no object a Hy6 might be more attractive than the 6008.
I don't have a signature.

Ligament

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:26:03 pm »

Regarding the 6008AF:

How accurate and fast is the AF feature? Compared to the Hy6?

How accurate is the light meter? Compared to the Hy6?

I currently have a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II and love the images but missing autofocus and missing a built in meter. Also it is heavy as all hell for walking around on the street.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »

Auto focus is definitely faster on the Hy6, and on the Hy6 you have the ability to fine tune the micro focus adjustment like on the Canon and Nikon DSLR's which probably makes it more accurate as well.   This is called the AF Offset on the Hy6 cameras. In the newest version or Mod2  the camera will remember the AF Offset values for you for the AFD lenses which makes it much more convenient.

Film metering on the 6008AF is pretty nice actually.   There are a lot of custom features - for example you can have the camera average up to 5 different meter readings, or set it weight the sky differently.   The Hy6 it a touch better.  It's faster frame to frame as well. 

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up