Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi everyone, new member (long time lurker) with a favor to ask  (Read 1160 times)

AllenFreeman

Hi everyone, new member (long time lurker) with a favor to ask
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »

Hey everyone,

I don't post much but I've been a lurker here for years. I have a favor to ask.

About 6 months ago I met a nice young lady, Aubrey, on a flight from detroit to ft lauderdale. Turns out she was headed to Haiti to volunteer at an orphanage. She is a grad student at the University of Toledo studying lit. I was overwhelmed at her motivation to help these people when she herself is living on a small university stipend. Since that flight we have become great friends and I ended up getting involved in her cause.

She is friends with a lady down there, a Haitian local, who started up this orphanage from scratch. Of course, they are always needing money, and Aubrey and I are trying to help.

Aubrey is organizing (single handedly) and art auction in Toledo on November 15th. The FB event page is here

https://www.facebook.com/events/320482074758047/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

I know it is late for this, but if any of you would like to donate some of your work, you can mail it to

Aubrey Crosbry
University Of Toledo Dept Of Language and Literature
2801 W Bancroft St Toledo, OH 43606-3328

It would need to be there by the 14th of this month.

Also, she is accepting cash donations at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/to-raise-a-home

The money is to benefit the raising of another building that is desperately needed. It will be hand delivered by her and I this December.

Other than the cash donations and donating art, there is another way you might be able to help.

Her and I are traveling to Haiti to give the orphanage the money raised (and some used clothes). We are planning on staying for about a week, and taking lots of photos. I've got my own camera of course, but I thought it would be neat to bring along a cheap camera to let the girls pass around and take photos. I dont want to hand over my x100s, but I'm thinking a panasonic tough point and shoot or something similar would be awesome.

If anyone has an extra point and shoot that is laying around and wouldn't mind donating it for the trip, we would be very grateful. I promise to give you all a good post trip report with lots of pictures and stories of the girls.

Also, if you can't help yourself, we would love for you to share this post with others. Email, FB, whatever. We need the help. Neither of us has done anything like this before (event organizing, fund raising).

Thanks for reading this far!

Sincerely,

Allen Freeman

PS if anyone has any questions, advice, whatever please PM me.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Hi everyone, new member (long time lurker) with a favor to ask
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:45:05 am »

Am I being a bit uncharitable .....?

"I don't post much...."  This is your first post. 

How many P&S cameras do you need for this trip Allen?  I would have though you could raise the $1500 just from the campus at Toledo.

I'm afraid this does read like one of those e-mails I get from time to time from Nigeria or somewhere seeking help.  I hope you are a genuine guy but...
Pages: [1]   Go Up