Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 upgrade question- how do I move the develop preset folder?  (Read 3890 times)

gchappel

Upgrading to LR5 from LR4.  Almost smooth so far.
I have a fair number of develop presets I have developed.  Two questions
1.  Lightroom 5 is using the develop presets folder from my LR4 install, which is actually on a different hard drive.  They all work fine.
I would like to move that folder to my LR5 install folder, so when I uninstall LR4 I do not have to keep the develop presets folder there. 
I can move the folder- no problem.  How do I redirect LR5 to use the new folder?

2.  I would like to start and store  the presets with the catalog- now that I am down to 2 catalogs.  When I click the store presets with this catalog button under preferences,
all my presets go away. It seems as they are not yet stored with the catalog, LR can not find them.  Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help
Gary

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 5 upgrade question- how do I move the develop preset folder?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:46:50 am »

Do not store presets with the catalogue. It's really intended for when you have the catalogue on an external drive which is attached to different computers. In other circumstances it can be a recipe for confusion.

LR5 will by default use exactly the same presets folders as LR4. Develop Presets go in these folders, and you should leave this as it is. Frankly, I don't understand why you want to move them.

John

Mac: User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets
PC: User/AppData/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:37 am »

Long story- my desktop is a couple of years old, and I recently cloned my C drive onto a larger ssd drive and now have room to install programs directly on C.
I had previously installed LR4 onto a different drive, and of course the develop preset folder is on that drive- P.
When I finally uninstall LR4 I would like the entire LR5 install to be in one place- right now I would have a lone folder of presets on drive P to remember and track if/when I upgrade.
This has no functional reason, but I would prefer everything in one place.
Thanks for the heads up on not storing with the catalog- I only use one machine.  Read somewhere it was an easy way to backup presets, but one main folder does make more sense.
Can't believe everything you read :)
Thanks
Gary

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:41:04 am »

Do not store presets with the catalogue. It's really intended for when you have the catalogue on an external drive which is attached to different computers. In other circumstances it can be a recipe for confusion.
Trouble is, I don't keep user data on drive C if I can possibly help it.  I want to be able to wipe drive C if ever I rebuild Windows, and Microsoft make it pretty difficult to have one's \Users folder anywhere other than drive C. 

It ought not to be a recipe for confusion: the catalogue is, after all, where one would logically keep user data.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:15:17 pm »

Trouble is, I don't keep user data on drive C if I can possibly help it.  I want to be able to wipe drive C if ever I rebuild Windows, and Microsoft make it pretty difficult to have one's \Users folder anywhere other than drive C.  
I kind-of agree with you, not so much about wanting to rebuild Windows but because the AppData folders are buried in a system area that is easily forgotten when backing up. I'd rather keep such user data with other work folders.

What I do is put these folders on Dropbox, using a symbolic link. This means the presets, templates etc are automatically synchronised on multiple machines.

It ought not to be a recipe for confusion: the catalogue is, after all, where one would logically keep user data.
Ought not, but usually is. For instance with Gary's current setup of two catalogues there will two sets of preset folders in addition to the AppData default one. Each catalogue has its own set of presets, so when you save a Develop preset in one catalogue it won't be available in the other, and updating a preset causes a similar problem.

John
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:35:31 am by johnbeardy »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:25:41 am »

Gary: This might help you: http://bit.ly/LRWFlow

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »

Thanks, that was an interesting read.  Playing with his ideas now
Gary

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 02:12:28 am »

'He' says your most welcome! ;)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up