Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the Nikon Df sound the death knell of the Leica M?  (Read 16474 times)

TMARK

Re: Does the Nikon Df sound the death knell of the Leica M?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

I don't think the M is just for wealthy dentists etc.  It just isn't a hard core PJ camera you would find in Syria or Afghanistan.  Its GREAT for editorials.  I rarely shoot assignments anymore, but when I do they are editorial portraits.  I use M9s and a D800e, maybe MF film if I can. 

I am not sure that Leica's are now only used by wealthy amateurs. It is true that it would very strange to see an M in a throng of photographers shooting an event such as the Toronto Mayor's press conference yesterday: full auto everything, xxx frames per second, and perhaps wi-fi direct to the newsroom. I am finding that people are curious about my photographing with an old-fashioned camera (an M9) "....can you still get film today?" It establishes a different type of relationship, perhaps a welcome intrusion into their lives. So, for much of what I do an M or something similar is what I want; for much of the rest of my work it is a 5d2 or whatever I eventually replace it with.
Jean-Michel

PhotoEcosse

Re: Does the Nikon Df sound the death knell of the Leica M?
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 12:03:11 pm »

I don't think the M is just for wealthy dentists etc.  It just isn't a hard core PJ camera you would find in Syria or Afghanistan.  Its GREAT for editorials.  I rarely shoot assignments anymore, but when I do they are editorial portraits.  I use M9s and a D800e, maybe MF film if I can. 

Once upon a time, the Leica was a particularly well engineered "robust" camera well suited to photojournalism in extreme conditions. The same camera might give 20 years of service.

In today's "throw away" world where a camera is obsolete in a couple of years, such robust longevity is no longer appreciated the way it once was.

Photo journalists, like all professional photographers, have to consider the cost/benefit analysis of their purchases - unlike we genuine amateurs who can (obviously within the limits of personal budgets) splash money about to indulge our whims and fancies without any vfm considerations.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up