Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ease of Photography  (Read 1046 times)

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
Ease of Photography
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:08 am »

One of the reasons I'm into photography is that many non photographers are amazed at the quality of images I can provide, and they don't know how I do it.  I try and use all the factors at my disposal, 1) equipment 2) technical knowledge 3) post processing 4) time and traveling 5) composition.  But with technology constantly improving, factors 1,2 and 3 above become less of a barrier for more people to take great photos.  If more people can do it, the less of a challenge it is for me.  In the back of my mind I worry about this, maybe not in the next 5 years, but maybe 10-20 years.  Anyone think about this?
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Ease of Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:39:04 am »

Technology will never replace vision.  It's not only what you see, but how you see.  Anyone can take a picture, but not anyone can make a photograph (or at least not without effort, experience, learning...)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:51:56 am »

Start shooting 8x10 inch film and be relieved from your doubts in no time ...

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:22 am »

>>>start shooting 8" x 10" film....

Very funny. Here's my recommendation along that line:
Start shooting high level macro (greater than life size, and to increase the difficulty, somewhere in the range of 3X to 10X magnification), and be relieved of your doubts in no time....especially if your subjects are living insects in their own environment.

See Alex Wild, Ph.D. entomologist: www.myrmecos.net    Army ants - HOSTILE living insects in their own environment!

Ars longa, vita brevis   
Whether you shoot photos to be used in education (to highlight a particular feature of a subject, say, its pedipalps)  or to be viewed as esthetic objects, you need to make the image both technically adequate and compelling.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:53 am »

Technology will never replace vision. 

Perfect.

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »

"Cameras capable of making great photographs have become commonplace these days, but photographers have not. While technical innovations have made photography easier in recent decades, the art of producing images that other people will care about has become ever more formidable. This apparent paradox is due to rising expectations in a culture where we are surrounded by a growing number of sophisticated images every day of our lives."

p17, Preface, Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography, 2001
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:26:51 pm by Isaac »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »

A couple of paragraphs from Alain Briot's recent article that discusses this very subject:

At a time when nearly everyone has a camera and access to software to fine tune their photographs, simply creating good photographs is no longer enough to stand out amongst the multitude of photographers that compete for attention.  Having great gear is nice but not enough because other photographers can purchase the same gear and learn to use it.  Having great software is not enough because other photographers can purchase the same software and learn to use it.  Having access to great subject matter or locations is not enough because other photographers can have access to the same subject matter and locations.

So what can truly make us truly unique?  When everyone has access to the same tools and knowledge, being unique no longer comes from using these tools and knowledge.  Being unique, different or original, in one word standing out, comes from using these tools and this knowledge in a creative manner. In a day when hardware, software and subject matter are readily available and accessible, it is our creativity that becomes our ‘success edge’ so to speak.

You can read the full article here.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up