Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet more C1 issues: response from Phase re Fuji and Lumix raws.  (Read 2453 times)

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
Yet more C1 issues: response from Phase re Fuji and Lumix raws.
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:54 am »

In my previous post I referred to the Focus Mask not working with Lumix RW2 files. I also wondered if it was working correctly with Fuji RAF files. I put this to Phase support and have now received the following:

"It would seem that with the advanced Bayer Interpolation of the Fuji files, the Focus Mask tool is working in error.
We will report this but it is unknown if a fix will be possible given he nature of the files.

Regarding the RW2 files the data available is insufficient to create a focus mask at this time.
"

There you have it!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Yet more C1 issues: response from Phase re Fuji and Lumix raws.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »

Focus mask to me is a post shot tool, i.e. on a Phase One back in the field it can be helpful to determine focus especially with a tech camera.  I have never even thought of using it in post work in Capture One.  I guess in a tethered environment it may come in handy.  I tend to leave turned on on my Phase Back, but still rely on 100% to really determine true focus.  I know Phase supports tethered attachment with Canon and Nikon besides their backs, don't think they have support for Fuji or the Lumix. 

After reading your post I tried focus mask on my Fuji X-E1 files and it seems to work OK, having a bit of trouble in the sky. 

In post work in Capture One, I always check focus with the 100% view. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »

Focus mask to me is a post shot tool

Yes I can see that this would be the most useful way of using it, and I wouldn't rely on it a the prime means of focus checking during pp, but I guess it could be of value as a way of weeding out the failures from the keepers.

It does work with Fuji raws (unlike RW2 raws), but just doesn't identify well the parts that are in focus. Even then, a high threshold is required.

Ian

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:04 am »

Yes I can see that this would be the most useful way of using it, and I wouldn't rely on it a the prime means of focus checking during pp, but I guess it could be of value as a way of weeding out the failures from the keepers.

It does work with Fuji raws (unlike RW2 raws), but just doesn't identify well the parts that are in focus. Even then, a high threshold is required.

Ian

Hi Ian,

If you want a speedy way to check focus you can also use the Loupe tool on thumbnails.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:44 am »

I'll look at that David, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up