Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding Epson Print Preview  (Read 2235 times)

Daniel Johnson

Understanding Epson Print Preview
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:36:36 am »

Platform/software: Win-7, Lightroom 5, Epson 3880, Spyder Elite 4 monitor profile, new to self-printing
Question: Where I should look to research this issue?
Issue: After developing an image in Lightroom and making the color balance just right to my eye, both in the develop module and soft-proof view, I notice that the color balance in the Epson Print Preview window is about 15 points more cyan and about 5 points more blue than the soft proof. The print is slightly less cyan than the print preview.
What should I read, where should I look, to discover why this happens?

Simon Garrett

Re: Understanding Epson Print Preview
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:45 am »

With the Epson printers I've had, the printer driver print preview does not show accurate colour, especially if you are doing colour management in Lightroom, rather than the printer driver.  I don't recommend you use Epson print preview for soft proofing.  Is this a problem?

By the way, don't forget to do colour management either in Lightroom or in the printer driver but not both. 

Daniel Johnson

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:55:47 pm »

Glad to hear I'm not the Lone Ranger -- the Epson Print Preview color balance is currently very close to the print color balance with my printing system still set to the initial defaults, and significantly more cyan/blue than the Lightroom Soft Proof color balance.
I'm not so concerned about the fact that this is happening (I can easily make the Lightroom Soft Proof weird so that the print will look right) --
I am, however very interested in being pointed to where to go to learn what's under the hood about this discrepancy. I am assuming that it lies somewhere in the profiling / color-management world, and suggestions on particular places to look would be cool.
DJ

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »

Ignore the preview in the Epson print driver, it isn't color managed.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up