Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My attempt at pastels  (Read 11023 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
My attempt at pastels
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:55:32 am »

North of Santa Barbara, just outside of Los Olivos. These subtle color variations are difficult for me in terms of touch. Trying to avoid muddiness in foreground and bring out the subtle tones in those ridges all within the context of that purplish sky. Could have cropped higher to reveal more of the gradient towards orange and red at the top of the sky, but the wife said no ;)

degrub

Re: My attempt at pastels
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:05:13 am »

Lovely image.
Did you try a square framing starting from the left edge ? The progression of the lone trees and hilltops into the color gradient seems attractive.
Frank

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

Lovely image.
Did you try a square framing starting from the left edge ? The progression of the lone trees and hilltops into the color gradient seems attractive.
Frank
Like this?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:57 pm »

The square one works nicely for me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

degrub

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »

Yessssss!

Michael West

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:19:34 am »

That is the crop. Yes.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:43:00 am »

The square one works nicely for me.

Yes.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:09:28 am »

Thanks for the kind comments. First time somebody hasn't kicked me for over processing ;) but then I haven't heard from Slobodan yet! ;D
Can anyone share why the square crop seems to be the one? I have been reading about composition, but would be curious to hear if there is some "reason" or is it an esthetic preference?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:13 am »

Thanks for the kind comments. First time somebody hasn't kicked me for over processing ;) but then I haven't heard from Slobodan yet! ;D
Can anyone share why the square crop seems to be the one? I have been reading about composition, but would be curious to hear if there is some "reason" or is it an esthetic preference?

The pastel transition needs space to work and breathe.
The landscape crop was more compressed.
I am still struggleing with this image and wonder how a lighter processing would work with the pastel colors being lighter and weaker.
Theres a lot of room for experiments with this one I think.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:49 am »

Concentration of interest.

Less is more etc.

;-)

Rob C

Seoonmie

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04:21 pm »

My gut says the first one. I love the sense of space. And the tree at the left anchors the view very nicely.

AFairley

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 12:23:54 pm »

For me it's the square because #1 lacks breathing room, and showing the gentle gradient at the top is a counterpoint to the hard tone changes at the bottom that adds to the image.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »

This is the original aspect ratio; does this version accomplish what you are thinking about Alan? Seoonmie?

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:30 pm »

I am generally not a square crop guy, but in this case, the square crop has a sense of expansive spaciousness that even the OOC crop lacks.  So I say go square...

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:55 pm »

I am generally not a square crop guy, but in this case, the square crop has a sense of expansive spaciousness that even the OOC crop lacks.  So I say go square...

You could make it a Trapezoid image with the long side at the top ... ;)
I mean - who dictates rectangular image crops?

Space up !

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:27 pm »

One thing about the square crop is the triangular composition consisting of the big tree in the lower left, the little tree in the distance, and the tree on the right in the middle distance. Once again, I am looking for rules when only generalities apply and it comes down to preference. Is that "artistic license?" Thanks for the comments.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »

One thing about the square crop is the triangular composition consisting of the big tree in the lower left, the little tree in the distance, and the tree on the right in the middle distance. Once again, I am looking for rules when only generalities apply and it comes down to preference. Is that "artistic license?" Thanks for the comments.

Trust your guts ...

degrub

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »

This is the original aspect ratio; does this version accomplish what you are thinking about Alan? Seoonmie?

Too many dark and light things to distract my eyes L and R from what you want to say about the sky tones. The square format version provides a "flow" that guided my eyes. I noticed the color tones peripherally at first glance. The foreground dark tree grabs my focus, the second pulls it further into the distance....... Until i am back where i started - at the tones in the sky, where you want me to be. The land is just an accent,  a tool to show off the sky.

I like ths version better than the first because there is room for the sky to be. The first was more about the land or some sort of tension between the sky and land to me.

Frank

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »

I like the square for the echoes of the shape of the tree in the 1st and 2nd hills. Simple, elegant.
Great colour, too.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:17:41 am »

Thanks for the discussion. As I've studied this shot and considered your comments, I have to agree that the square one works. Odd that it didn't just jump right out. Hmmmm....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up