Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apocalypse now ....  (Read 5769 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Apocalypse now ....
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 am »

Shit happens ...
Water damage, discovered many weeks later ...
It happened 2010 ...
I'm over it ...
 :P

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:43:36 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

degrub

Re: Apocalypse now ....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:45:21 am »

That's tough to face. Might be some interesting scanning results though.
Frank.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:05:38 pm »

That's an interesting picture in its own right.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »

That's an interesting picture in its own right.

About to say; one of the better found-art images here.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:09:17 pm »

That's tough to face. Might be some interesting scanning results though.
Frank.
And the image makes a nifty abstract.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:02:33 pm »

No worries. Fix it in Photoshop.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:24:17 pm »

Brings back some horrid memories. Right after I moved to FL, I had a metal outbuilding built  to store all my files, still and cine camera gear, lenses, etc. It was air conditioned/heated at a near constant temp, ideal place to work. One almost stormy day, clouds a swirling to and fro, a thing called a waterspout lifted itself off the Gulf of Mexico and danced its way merrily, merrily as you please up over the coastal houses, alighting neatly on my shed and then promptly danced its way back to the Gulf of Mexico, picking up a '56 Porche on its way and dumped the lot about 200 feet past the first sand bar. Navy divers were kind enough to retrieve both the car and shed, surprisingly with most of the contents, but while the Porche was salvageable, salt water and film cameras, negatives, and everything else after nearly a week in the water...meh, they were only good for the insurance claim.
Yeah, it brings back memories. Sorry for your loss. I do know how it feels.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:01:33 am »

Brings back some horrid memories. Right after I moved to FL, I had a metal outbuilding built  to store all my files, still and cine camera gear, lenses, etc. It was air conditioned/heated at a near constant temp, ideal place to work. One almost stormy day, clouds a swirling to and fro, a thing called a waterspout lifted itself off the Gulf of Mexico and danced its way merrily, merrily as you please up over the coastal houses, alighting neatly on my shed and then promptly danced its way back to the Gulf of Mexico, picking up a '56 Porche on its way and dumped the lot about 200 feet past the first sand bar. Navy divers were kind enough to retrieve both the car and shed, surprisingly with most of the contents, but while the Porche was salvageable, salt water and film cameras, negatives, and everything else after nearly a week in the water...meh, they were only good for the insurance claim.
Yeah, it brings back memories. Sorry for your loss. I do know how it feels.

Lucky man; here, so-called acts of God remove liability for almost everything from the pockets of the insurance people.

I could never insure my watch nor my wife her jewellery for anything outwith being kept in a safe. As for cameras and lenses, I have a list with the agent who keeps on saying that he must have a chat one day because he doesn't think the company will actually cover me... thinks!!, and that's about the level everything works at: you never can tell what's what and questions asked simply bounce back off the rubber walls. After a while you surrender and just go on paying and living as best you can.

That's how it works. I do not exaggerate.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:29:08 pm by Rob C »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:39:26 am »

Lucky man; here, so-called acts of God remove liability for almost everything from the pockets of the insurance people.

I could never insure my watch nor my wife her jewellery for anything outwith being kept in a safe. As for cameras and lenses, I have a list with the agent who keeps on saying that he must have a chat one day because he doesn't think the company will actually cover me... thinks!!, and that's about the level everything works at: you never can tell what's what and questions asked simpy bounce back off the rubber walls. After a while you surrender and just go on paying and living as best you can.

That's how it works. I do not exaggerate.

Rob C

I didn't get nearly the value of my gear, but got almost full back on the shed. Jeeze, go figure.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:15 pm »

I didn't get nearly the value of my gear, but got almost full back on the shed. Jeeze, go figure.

Chris,

When I was working, I could buy professional insurance from London that covered new for used, took care of model situations/problems. For trips abroad, I could get added cover for weather, faulty film stock or processing, cancellations of all sorts and pretty much cover the whole operation at quite reasonable costs.

Here in Spain they don’t understand insurance. They think it means a one-way deal, not realising that to make it work and make them more money, they have to be user-friendly and actually offer a service that somebody willingly contracts, repeatedly. It’s a psychology thing and they just don’t get it.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:25 pm »

Well ... it was the majority of film from my school days .... I didn't have an insurance for that .... :P
But the cataclysm kept me moving and shooting more new stuff ...

Iluvmycam

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:55 pm »

I lost 2+ decades of work in a flood. Sickening.

I try to BU and 'try' to keep duplicates off site now.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:02:38 pm »

About to say; one of the better found-art images here.

Rob C

Yes, that is a really evocative photo.  It would make great cover art for a book about archiving.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up