Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Metallic paper on Epson R3880?  (Read 40676 times)

EinstStein

Re: Kodak Metallic paper on Epson R3880?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:31 pm »

I've confirmed the Kodak Metallic papers I saw are the wet print ones, not inkjet.

For that transparent, glassy look, it seems I could go through adoramapix. It's about $15 per 20x20, not bad.
It's a big relief that I don't have to put much thought on this to choose the ink jet printer.

R3880 still the choice, in general, for ink jet?

I'm still splitting between
--  R2000 (13x19 or 13x44, with roll supported)
--  R3000 (13x19 or 13x44, roll supported), and)
--  R3880 (80mm tank, 17x22, no roll support)

Any objection?

hugowolf

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »

R3880 still the choice, in general, for ink jet?

I'm still splitting between
--  R2000 (13x19 or 13x44, with roll supported)
--  R3000 (13x19 or 13x44, roll supported), and)
--  R3880 (80mm tank, 17x22, no roll support)

I really don’t see roll feed support being a major advantage on a 13 inch printer. There just isn’t that much roll paper available in a 13 inch width and 2 inch core. Even if you are not located in the US (you don’t list your whereabouts in your profile), go to the B&H site, look at roll paper, and check the 13 inch box. There are 30, most of which will not have a two inch core – and if you are going to have to rewind the paper, you may as well cut it into sheets.

Compare that to the 181 papers available in 17 inch rolls, or 275 available in 24 inch rolls.

The only advantage I see, in this regard: the r3000 will print to 44 inches, the 3880 to only 37.4 inches.

Brian A

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 04:35:12 am »

I have fooled around quite alot with metallic papers with both pigment printers (Epson 3880 and 9900) and dye,Epson 1430.
Photochrome metallic and Lexjet mettallic are about the same. They are the papers I started with and the results on the pigment printers are quite good.
I recently did a large batch of 12x18's for a client that wanted a super high gloss. I had been using the Pictorico Hi Gloss Film with the pigment printers and then facemounting on acrylic with good results.
I knew that the results with this paper with a dye printer would be even better. Purchased the Epson 1430 and ran the Pictorico paper. The results with dye on Pictorico are just stunning. Only problem was these prints were super delicate. (Couple of threads here discussing that issue.)
Mark Linquist suggested I try Ilford Prestige High Gloss,very similar to the Pictorico but it has a slight metallic tint in its bright white base.
To answer Wayne Fox the stuff is just off the wall gorgeous printed with a dye printer. Talk about that glassy look,this is it.  Only problem is that I have been printing almost daily with this printer and the inks were just killing me. ($21.00 for a 13ml cart.)
I spent about $200.00 for the Jon Cone CL Dye inks and refillable cart system and that solved that.
You may want to look into purchasing both a dye and pigment printer. Just cannot beat the 3880 for pigment ,mine has been great although it does not get much use.
You can get a 13" dye printer with rebates for several hundred dollars. Quite a few guys here are talking up the small Canon,sorry cannot think of the model number.
My next step is to find a 24" roll printer that I can convert to dye,maybe something like the Epson 7890. Dye on these glossy films are just second to none.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:40:55 am by Dan Berg »

davidgriffith

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 04:10:45 pm »

I see that Kodak is now selling an inkjet metallic paper now that is supposed to mimic the Endura. Anyone tried it and would like to share their experience?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 05:28:37 pm »

I see that Kodak is now selling an inkjet metallic paper now that is supposed to mimic the Endura. Anyone tried it and would like to share their experience?
I just don’t think you can’t mimic the endura with a pigment based process. Just a difference between laying semi opaque dyes down on top of paper vs dyes encapsulated in the emulsion. Pretty sure Kodak is just sourcing the paper from the same places all the other vendors are.

Not that ink jet metallics can’t look good, just won’t look the same.  I print of ton of Kodak Metallic and several of my clients who own Epsons have tried metallic papers and haven’t been happy, and continue to buy from me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up