Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Metallic paper on Epson R3880?  (Read 40675 times)

EinstStein

Kodak Metallic paper on Epson R3880?
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »

I was impressed by the metallic prints seen in some photo galleries. Brilliant for landscape. I want to print panoramic landscape.
It seems Kodak's metallic paper has the best and much better price. I believe it's also Kodak who started the metallic paper.
Any experience and comment to use Kodak metallic paper on Epson R3880?

hugowolf

Re: Kodak Metallic paper on Epson R3880?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:54:57 pm »

I was impressed by the metallic prints seen in some photo galleries. Brilliant for landscape. I want to print panoramic landscape.
It seems Kodak's metallic paper has the best and much better price. I believe it's also Kodak who started the metallic paper.
Any experience and comment to use Kodak metallic paper on Epson R3880?

Prints on metal or on metallic paper? Both are possible. If on paper they may well have been on Kodak Endura Metallic, a wet process paper, not an inkjet paper.

Metallic paper is available for Breathing Color, InkPress, itSupplies/Atlex, Kodak, Moab, RedRiver, and Mitsubishi/Pictorico; and most if not all of it seems to be made by Mitsubishi and sold under different brand names.

I haven’t used the Kodak version and haven’t seen any reviews of it. It is only available in US letter and 13 x 19 inch sheets, but in many roll sizes. It is certainly inexpensive, in fact cheap enough that buying a box and trying it out would be the way to go, if you like that sort of thing.

Brian A

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »

Kodak has metallic ink jet paper, 17" role only Costs $90 from b&h.
But, I just realize r3880 does not take roll paper, and only prints up to 17"x22". True?
I hope the Spec on B&H is wrong.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 06:19:21 pm »

But, I just realize r3880 does not take roll paper, and only prints up to 17"x22". True?

You might want to have a look at Moab Slickrock Metallic if you need sheets
http://moabpaper.com/slickrock-metallic/

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »

It prints up  to 17" x 37.4", without a RIP. And no, it doesn't have roll paper support.

If you were going for the Kodak, 13" x 19" sheets are a great buy at $26.

Brian A

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »

Can R2000 or R3000 take 10" roll paper? That's my next option to print 2.7x panorama,

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:22:20 pm »

I have some samples of the Kodak Professional (Brand Management) inkjet metallic paper coming in.  I suspect that the Kodak metallic will be much the same as current inkjet metallic offerings: nice pearlescent metallic media with good *pop* but not the same as printing with Kodak Endura Metallic at a pro lab.  We'll see.

ken

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 07:28:47 pm »

I have experimented with the new "Kodak"? metallic inkjet paper on my 7900 and was extremely disappointed. It doesn't come anywhere close to the luminous dimentional  qualities that Pro  Endura gives .I got samples from  Atlex.com
None of the inkjet metallic I've tried do! As a matter of fact I found the inkjet metallics rather dull!

US distributor  and  available ICC profiles at page bottom...
http://www.brandmanagementgroup.com/kodak/professional/kodak-professional-inkjet-photo-paper-metallic-255g
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:32:13 pm by davidh202 »

EinstStein

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:15:44 pm »

The Kodak inkjet metallic I've seen is very impressive. I've seen the wet/chemical print metallic years ago, but can't remember how to compare.
Anyway, the inkjet metallic looks amazing to me, at least compare to the other inkjet papers.
In fact, I think the matt or luster paper look much more "dull" (meaning, different "artistic") to me. At this level I think it's pretty personal.

What I'm asking is more of your experiences in terms paper handling and non-artistic characteristics.

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »

Can R2000 or R3000 take 10" roll paper? That's my next option to print 2.7x panorama,

Only if it comes on a two inch core, otherwise you would have to unwind it onto an old two inch core. If you have to do that, then you may as well just cut sheets and feed them into the 3880. If you get into larger format printers, you will find a rotary trimmer almost essential.

I have't seen any documentation anywhere that mentions the core size of the Kodak (actually Brand Management Group now) paper.

Brian A

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:13 am »

I noticed they have "driver" and "plug-in" profiles. How do you know which to use? I print with Q-Image.
Mike

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:41:30 am »

I noticed they have "driver" and "plug-in" profiles. How do you know which to use? I print with Q-Image.

QImage isn't RIP, it uses the driver.

Brian A

davidh202

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »

I do also,
use the  ICC profiles for Epson Prem Luster 260, it is I exactly the same as the download ICC profile from Brand Marketings page for the Kodak.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:44:11 am »

I have experimented with the new "Kodak"? metallic inkjet paper on my 7900 and was extremely disappointed. It doesn't come anywhere close to the luminous dimentional  qualities that Pro  Endura gives .I got samples from  Atlex.com
None of the inkjet metallic I've tried do! As a matter of fact I found the inkjet metallics rather dull!

US distributor  and  available ICC profiles at page bottom...
http://www.brandmanagementgroup.com/kodak/professional/kodak-professional-inkjet-photo-paper-metallic-255g

Not familiar with the Kodak quality but for the metallic media that I know, dye ink delivers the most spectacular effect. The dyes bring it closer to the chromogene metallic medias of the past, transparency is better so the metal effect gets through, dye ink also keeps the gloss at a high level overall. There are of course disadvantages in the use of dye inks.

In SpectrumViz I separated the Pearlescent effect papers from the Metallic effect papers. The names of the papers often do not describe the visual difference that good. The Sihl Masterclass Metallic Pearl HIGH Gloss Photo Paper 290gsm shows a higher reflectance than the other metallic and pearlescent papers that I measured. It shows in the print as well compared to for example a Moab's Slickrock print. Would love to measure more of that category for SpectrumViz. I wonder though whether an i1Pro is suitable for measuring metallic surfaces.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Sal Baker

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:57:28 am »

You can cut sheets from rolls and feed them to the 3880 (up to the length limit).  I print 17x30 on my 3880 quite often.

Sal

bteifeld

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:13:46 am »

My understanding is that pearlescent effect pigment applications require a multi-angle spectrophometer such as the Xrite MA9X series, BYK mac-i series, or Konica Cm512 series device.

This is a URL from Konica regarding multi-angle spectrophotometry:

http://www.konicaminolta.com/about/research/core_technology/optical/instrument_001.html
Ergosoft Authorized Reseller, Color Services(calibration/profiling/spot color improvement), Printing

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:13 pm »

The Kodak “Metallic” that most refer to and offers by far the best metallic “look” is a chromogenic paper (chemical processed) , not an inkjet paper. There is not an inkjet paper that can equal it, partially because of the almost pure polished gloss of the paper adding to the metallic look. A pigment printer cannot offer this finish.  the closest I have seen to Kodak Metallic is from Moab’s metallic offering, but side by side the Kodak metallic is still superior.

A metallic paper using a dye based printer would probably come much closer to the look of the Kodak metallic, if the inkjet paper was designed to handle that type of printing.  I haven’t tried any of the metallic papers on a dye based printer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:29:17 pm by Wayne Fox »

davidh202

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »

The Kodak “Metallic” that most refer to and offers by far the best metallic “look” is a chromogenic paper (chemical processed) , not an inkjet paper. There is not an inkjet paper that can equal it, 

That's just about what I said earlier.
Inkjet metallics suck big time compared to Endura ;-) I don't think to OP  knew what he was comparing to, that he had seen before

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »

Solvent printers on metallic are probably the closest inkjet process you're going to get to the chemical process and there are a wide variety of substrates available, plus some solvent printers with metallic ink as well.  Not related to the OP, but just a side note perhaps of interest to some folks.
Phil Brown

Paul Roark

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:06 am »

A metallic paper using a dye based printer would probably come much closer to the look of the Kodak metallic, ...

I don't have a comparison to the Kodak wet process paper, but I can attest to the superiority of dyes to pigments on at least the Red River metallic inkjet paper, particularly with respect to black and white. 

I don't know what all the factors are that make dyes + metallic so special, but it appears the surface of the paper is part of the secret. It may have a lower reflection than matte under Tru Vue glass.  One gets the feeling you're "looking into" the image much more than looking at a piece of paper.  Pigments and even a spray like Print Shield decrease the effect one sees.  They tend to put a veil over the image.  B&W dyes and Lascaux Fixativ (lower viscosity -- appears to go into the paper and not coat the outside) are the combination that seems to optimize what at least this Red River paper can do.  Anyone with a 1400/30 can see effect.  (QuadToneRip is required.)  I have a write-up of the 1400 OEM Claria B&W printing approach at http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/1400-Claria-BW.pdf.  The combination I used for a recent show, using an old Epson 4000, is written up at http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/4000-Noritsu-5K-Plus.pdf for those interested.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up