Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hybrid solar eclipse on November 3  (Read 903 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Hybrid solar eclipse on November 3
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:30:21 pm »

Not much use to those of us out here on the west coast, but...  :(

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/get-ready-hybrid-solar-eclipse-on-november-3

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

Re: Hybrid solar eclipse on November 3
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:58 am »

Saw it in all its glory from our garden (that's a backyard to you) in Nairobi.

It was the kind of day with clouds scudding about but intermittent periods of sunshine so we were able to see the whole thing.  It started around 4.20pm and reached its peak at 5.25pm - in Nairobi the extent of the eclipse was 81% at maximum.  Amazing.  The light became really dim - like an underexposed photo taken on a sunny day - and at around 5.10 the birds stopped singing and our dogs became visibly frightened.  

I didn't dare take a picture of the sun (would I fry my sensor, who knows but I didn't want to find out either way).  At the peak the sun was a thin crescent.  We looked at it though strips of unexposed slide film - finally I have found a use for the 10 or so rolls or Provia 100 I still have lying around.

Here is a snapshot of the family looking at the eclipse.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:57:28 am by Ed Blagden »

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Hybrid solar eclipse on November 3
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:46 pm »

Saw it in all its glory from our garden (that's a backyard to you) in Nairobi.

It was the kind of day with clouds scudding about but intermittent periods of sunshine so we were able to see the whole thing.  It started around 4.20pm and reached its peak at 5.25pm - in Nairobi the extent of the eclipse was 81% at maximum.  Amazing.  The light became really dim - like an underexposed photo taken on a sunny day - and at around 5.10 the birds stopped singing and our dogs became visibly frightened.  

I didn't dare take a picture of the sun (would I fry my sensor, who knows but I didn't want to find out either way).  At the peak the sun was a thin crescent.  We looked at it though strips of unexposed slide film - finally I have found a use for the 10 or so rolls or Provia 100 I still have lying around.

Here is a snapshot of the family looking at the eclipse.

I was once reliably informed by a man from Kodak (in the days of the 14N) that over exposure caused absolutely no harm to a sensor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up