Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice to upgrade my PCs Mainboard, CPU and memory  (Read 12250 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Need advice to upgrade my PCs Mainboard, CPU and memory
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:20 am »

You are right that for my build is way more than needed.
I was initially set on a 500 to 620 range, but I changed the rationale and went overboard so that the fan doesn't get activated too often - it does only when it gets over 50%, so I can have it as little noise as possible.
I was tempted by one of the silent versions but the complains about the coil whine made me reconsider.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 02:37:30 am »

You are right that for my build is way more than needed.
I was initially set on a 500 to 620 range, but I changed the rationale and went overboard so that the fan doesn't get activated too often - it does only when it gets over 50%, so I can have it as little noise as possible.
I was tempted by one of the silent versions but the complains about the coil whine made me reconsider.
Personally I think a few dollars more spent on a better quality and then a larger capacity power supply is the single best thing they can do for themselves.  Not having the fan come on is a bonus.. I enjoy that as well.  What this is telling you is that your power supply is operating under 50% capacity.. and 50% capacity it where a power supply is most efficient and produces the cleanest power.. it gets worse the more you use.  And if you get a Platinum or even a Gold you won't be using hardly any more electricity in the process..  I say a wise decision.

Now.. if you're buying PC's for a office and you're buying 1200 of them.. then saving $30 on a power supply whose capacity is "nice to have but not essential" starts to make economic sense.  But heck, our personal machines are personal.. this is the time to splurge a bit and drive the Veyron of computers if you're so inclined.  Its just not enough money to worry about..   But if you don't have to hear a fan going on/off and whirring away.  PRICELESS.  My fan never goes on unless I hit 90% of greater overall load.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »

Initially I thought my build is not quieter than my old one (an Antec case where I placed some very heavy foam on the side panels) but now after the fans ran for a little it is quieter towards practically silent. The current case is a Fractal Design Define R4, everything else I already mentioned in an earlier post. It also helps the main system and the work drive are only on SSDs, probably the video card and the front case fan make the most noise.

Also the newer Asus motherboards have this 5 engine optimization. I don't know exactly what it does but after I ran it the 64-bit Geekbench score went from 3955/15031 (single thread/multithread) to 4050/16107 which is better than any iMac on the market.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

Personally I think a few dollars more spent on a better quality and then a larger capacity power supply is the single best thing they can do for themselves.  Not having the fan come on is a bonus.. I enjoy that as well.  What this is telling you is that your power supply is operating under 50% capacity.. and 50% capacity it where a power supply is most efficient and produces the cleanest power.. it gets worse the more you use.  And if you get a Platinum or even a Gold you won't be using hardly any more electricity in the process..  I say a wise decision.

Now.. if you're buying PC's for a office and you're buying 1200 of them.. then saving $30 on a power supply whose capacity is "nice to have but not essential" starts to make economic sense.  But heck, our personal machines are personal.. this is the time to splurge a bit and drive the Veyron of computers if you're so inclined.  Its just not enough money to worry about..   But if you don't have to hear a fan going on/off and whirring away.  PRICELESS.  My fan never goes on unless I hit 90% of greater overall load.

My thoughts exactly Steve. This system sits on top of my desk right now, and its so quiet, I'm thinking about leaving it there permanently.
The CoolerMaster case was purchased for its large interior with lots of room for the water cooling and radiator, and great air flow with 4 case fans.
But it also has a window, and the fans have LED lights on them. To be honest, I didn't really care about the lights and window when I chose this case, but there kind of cool, and then there's the  overclocking panel that comes with the motherboard, fits in one of the 5.25" slots, shows CPU temp, fan speed overclocking info, all gamer stuff I guess.
Just started working on a 60 image pano, compared to my old machine (vintage 2004) well, goes without saying.

Bill Koenig,

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:25 am »

Initially I thought my build is not quieter than my old one (an Antec case where I placed some very heavy foam on the side panels) but now after the fans ran for a little it is quieter towards practically silent. The current case is a Fractal Design Define R4, everything else I already mentioned in an earlier post. It also helps the main system and the work drive are only on SSDs, probably the video card and the front case fan make the most noise.

Also the newer Asus motherboards have this 5 engine optimization. I don't know exactly what it does but after I ran it the 64-bit Geekbench score went from 3955/15031 (single thread/multithread) to 4050/16107 which is better than any iMac on the market.

Armand -  Did you know most foam of this nature is flammable? And they excise chemicals for a long time.  Far better is something like this (this site has several different types) as you can seal 4 of the six sides.  With some of the 1" stick on foam you can seal drive bays and isolate noise and air flow even further.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 12:57:56 pm »

Armand -  Did you know most foam of this nature is flammable? And they excise chemicals for a long time.  Far better is something like this (this site has several different types) as you can seal 4 of the six sides.  With some of the 1" stick on foam you can seal drive bays and isolate noise and air flow even further.

I'll rephrase it, I used something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Apache-Mills-Gray-24-in-x-36-in-Commercial-Vinyl-Foam-Cushion-Mat-60-160-0700-20000300/100671773?N=5yc1vZc9a5Z1z13zy8
While I don't how resistant is to fire it's not that flammable. It is effective for noise cancellation and my last computer had no weird work done that made it more prone to fire.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 10:07:07 pm »

I'll rephrase it, I used something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Apache-Mills-Gray-24-in-x-36-in-Commercial-Vinyl-Foam-Cushion-Mat-60-160-0700-20000300/100671773?N=5yc1vZc9a5Z1z13zy8
While I don't how resistant is to fire it's not that flammable. It is effective for noise cancellation and my last computer had no weird work done that made it more prone to fire.

Totally different than what I envisioned reading your post.. this works.  Probably not as effective (db reduction measured in relation to thickness) as dedicated sound deadener but good enough.

It's surprising how effective these dedicated stick on sheets are.  I use bits and pieces of automotive Dynamat left over from car projects on each build to stop vibration.. if I was after the most effective reduction at any cost I'd use it on all sides.  Pretty amazing stuff.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up