Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HowTo? Sticky Print-Quality in Canon print driver when Media-Type changes?  (Read 18183 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

Win-7, Canon MP990 (also every Canon printer I've ever used, with very few exceptions)

Summary:
Is there a way to keep the Media-Type from reverting to "Standard" when changing the Media-Type?

More info (sorry if tl;dr) :
I almost always intend to print with the print-driver set to "Print-Quality = High". However, my experience is that when I change Media-Types, the setting for Print-Quality almost invariably changes from "High/Unidirectional/Slow" to "Standard/Bidirectional/Fast". (The only exception I've encountered is with my 9000-2, which only has one option for Quality for Platinum Pro inkjet paper ... High. My Mp990 has both High and Standard for Platinum Pro, and changes from High to Standard when I change from, for example, Matte to Platinum Pro).

There is a checkbox for "Always Print with Current Settings", but that doesn't seem to make the "Print-Quality = High" be "sticky". Drat.

I suppose I could have a workaround by having a bunch of "Commonly Used Settings" for many, many different combinations of Media-Types + Paper-Size + Border + ColorMan=Auto/Manual=None. However, I find "Common Used Settings to be rather clumsy and limited to use. YMMV.

Am I doing something wrong? Ignorant about a simple solution? Is there a way to "fix" this in the o/s?

TMI? I find Color-Management to be very error-prone, and not for the careless or distracted. One of the contributing factors to this for owners of Canon printers is the setting for Quality setting is not "Sticky". A printer profile patch chart inadvertently made with Qual=Standard using ACPU will probably be sub-optimal (or worse) if you carelessly think it was made with Qual=High. Am I the only one this has happened to?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:59:46 pm by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

hugowolf

Re: HowTo? Sticky Print-Quality in Canon print driver when Media-Type changes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:52:37 am »

You can change the default settings, the ones it reverts to each time. Control Panel > Printers and Devices (or sometimes just Printers), right click on the printer, Printer Preferences… (not Properties), then set what defaults you want when that dialog opens when you print.

Brian A

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:16:37 am »

You can change the default settings, the ones it reverts to each time. Control Panel > Printers and Devices (or sometimes just Printers), right click on the printer, Printer Preferences… (not Properties), then set what defaults you want when that dialog opens when you print.

And in addition, when using Qimage for printing, the settings can default to different values for different media (not just a different profile), or different layouts (e.g. lower resolution for very large output).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »

Am I the only one this doesn't work for? The above is pretty much what I do, but the setting for "Print Quality" invariably changes to "Standard" when I change the selection for "Media Type:". For me, the default settings seems to almost always be "Print Quality = Standard".

For example, if I'm using Media-Type=Matte with Print-Quality=High, then change to Media-Type=Plus-Glossy-2, the Print-Quality will change from "High" to "Standard".

The only exception I've come across is with a 9000-2 and Media-Type=Pro-Platinum. For that Media-Type on that printer, there is only one option for Quality-Setting, which is "High". Therefore, it won't change to "Standard".

For me, there is a lot that can go wrong to get good color management, and this is yet another gotcha.

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:15 pm »

I checked directly with Canon, with response as follows:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the driver settings for your PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II.

The default quality setting for all paper types is standard.  It will need to be changed each time the paper type is changed.  Unfortunately, there is no way around this except for creating unique profiles for each of the media types.  We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:40:22 am »

I checked directly with Canon, with response as follows:

This is basically what I do with Epson drivers: create a named custom setting for each of the ten or so papers I use on a regualr basis. They shouldn't take that long to setup.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up