Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning vs photographing Large format B+W negatives  (Read 2604 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Scanning vs photographing Large format B+W negatives
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:19:18 pm »

With the increasing  size and quality of chips in todays digital cameras, can they be used to photograph 4x5 and 8x 10 negatives and how does the result compare to using scanner??

ANyone in this forum with experience, opinion or referrals to other sources for information??

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Scanning vs photographing Large format B+W negatives
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:26:29 pm »

There have been some previous threads in this forum indicating people have achieved excellent results photographing negative and positive film materials.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:21:44 am »

Hi,

It can be done, but it is not easy. A few hints:

- Sensor and film needs to be aligned.
- The room where you shoot the dupes needs to be totally dark (if you can see the camera you are wasting details in the darks), so you need to eliminate all light leaks.

Best regards
Erik

There have been some previous threads in this forum indicating people have achieved excellent results photographing negative and positive film materials.
Erik Kaffehr

SZRitter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:27:47 am »

Hi,

It can be done, but it is not easy. A few hints:

- Sensor and film needs to be aligned.
- The room where you shoot the dupes needs to be totally dark (if you can see the camera you are wasting details in the darks), so you need to eliminate all light leaks.

Best regards
Erik

I do it all the time with 6x6 film. The biggest trick is keeping the film flat and evenly lit.

I use a piece of PVC as a spacer, and shoot on top of a small light table. So far, excellent results. My only problem is color correction (going from color negatives, positives haven't been an issue at all). Because of the PVC, I don't need it to be dark in the room at all. I'm building up another rig, when I have free time, to do this on a stand without the PVC. Not sure if that will require darkened room or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up