Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIK Collection Update  (Read 7605 times)

DaveJ

NIK Collection Update
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:46:27 am »

I've had some strange problems the past two days with my NIK Collection Plugins and CS5. I'm running Win 7 64bit on a PC. On Tuesday, I noticed that all of my NIK plugins were completely missing on my laptop, a search of my installed programs found no evidence of any NIK product. Yesterday I reinstalled the collection from the original file I had used when they rolled out the free upgrade in March 2013 and everything worked fine again. About an hour later, when I tried to start Photoshop, a window popped up called "Owl Orphanage-Photoshop.exe" saying that Photoshop can not start because the file MSVCP110.dll is missing and to reinstall Photoshop. I did some checking and found some references to an update to the NIK Collection that included a new plugin and sure enough, my collection had been automatically updated to a newer version than what I had just installed an hour earlier. I downloaded the latest version of the NIK Collection from their website, reinstalled it and my problem was fixed on the laptop. I decided to check my desktop and low and behold, the same error message popped. The desktop had also been updated to the latest version of the Collection so I tried the same fix and was back in business. Anyone else having problems with the NIK Collection since this automatic update was pushed out this week?
Dave Jolley

mburke

Re: NIK Collection Update
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:34:29 am »

I was trying to download the new plug in and started to receive the same file missing error. My plug ins had also disappeared from CS6 but not LR5.2. I then downloaded the trial version and installed and now all the plug ins are in both programs. I don't know what I did but I sure must be smart because now it works..

The new plug in is kind of fun. I just played for about 10 minutes but some of the effects are fun (Bokeh, blur, etc.)

Nice to see Google is keeping Nik active.

Mike

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:08:00 pm »

One possible explanation is that you had one (or more) of the host programs open when Nik's automatic update took place.

Apparently, it will only update correctly if the host programs are closed.

I share mburke's pleasure that Google seem to be keeping the Nik suite alive. I suspect that many feared that the Google takeover might have seen the death of our programs (or, at least, a failure to update and enhance).
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »

zippski

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:07:14 am »

I had the same problem when I opened CS6 tonight - the Nik plugins had vanished.  A check of the c:/drive indicated that analog pro had magically appeared in the Nik folder

A search of Google/Nik advised me to migrate to the Nik site and download the trial version and install over my existing Nik suite.  So I downloaded everything and the installation went smoothly.  I opened a photo and the Nik suite had returned to my filter list.  However, when I clicked on either Colorefex or SiverEfex I got an invalid dll error message.  Analog pro and Vivenza worked fine.

Another visit to the Nik site provided advice that I should have removed any recipes from those two programs before downloading the trial version.   Nice to tell us after the auto-download.

Ok, what to do?

Fortunately, I think I found the fix.  Simply migrate back to the c:/ folder where your Nik suite is installed.  Mine was auto-installed by default at c:/program files/Google/Nik collection.  Migrate to Colorefex Pro and open the directory.  Migrate to the usual PS .8bf plugin file in that directory and double click on that (not on the .exe file).  Photoshop will start up.  Pull up a photo and click on the Nik filter you just used to open PS.  I should properly link the .dll, and begin to work.

Several normal PS re-starts later, it still appears to be working.

Google should be ashamed

Leigh
zippski

Philip Weber

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »

Thanks for starting this thread. After reading everyone's posts I checked and, sure enough, they'd all vanished! Fortunately after downloading and installing everything they all worked, with no errors, and with all my imported and created recipes intact (my biggest concern during the installation).

FYI, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and PS6.

I guess we do get a new app (Analog Efex) to play with for our trouble but hopefully Google learned from this.

Phil
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:25:14 am by Philip Weber »

zippski

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 12:40:13 am »

Actually, a couple of day later I am still having random intermittent dll issues when I start any Nik filter.  I then have to exit out of CS6 and restart Nik from the bin file, and that's *in addition* to losing all my previously imported recipes.

Three over-installs later plus a major sweep of the machine (Win7 pro 32bit) including blowing out the complete machine and user temp directories, have not rectified the issue.

Anyone know if Google has updated the download links?  I am still using the previously downloaded link, which may be causing the issues.

Anyway, Nik went form a stable application to a buggy piece of crap without me doing anything to contribute to that.  Sometimes, I freakin' hate Google. 

Leigh
zippski

Philip Weber

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:33 am »

With that many issues, I'd contact them directly. I'll monitor mine over the next week or so and update everyone if there are issues but as seemingly easy as my re-install went, I'd have to guess there's something else wrong for yours to be acting that way and their engineers should, hopefully(!) be the best place to start.

Phil

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:23:33 am »

I am having a different problem. The updated plugins work fine out of Photoshop but When I try to run them out of Lightroom (using the same image) I get a blank image with just a few then vertical lines on the histogram. I have tried reinstalling from the most recent Nik Collection file and deleting the LR preferences file with no success. I have raised a support ticket with Google.
Ken Cameron

jrsforums

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:16:29 am »

I had similar/different problems.

I contacted Google/Nik (from their 'contacts' page, using the email ID I was registered under) and explained the problem and that I would like to uninstall and restart.

They responded by the next day...and were very helpful.  Explained that uninstalling wiped out prior registration info, but the new 1.105 version no longer required license codes.  They then provided a link to get the 1.105 code.  Installed and works with no problems.

Very happy with their help.

John

PS....Win7 64bit
John

zippski

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »

Ok, I once again may have resolved the issue.  Apparently, the NIK update breaks some Visual C++ Redistributable dll links for Visual Studio which is running in the background of most Win7 and Wn8 machines  (in both x86 and x64 versions)

Not that this means much to me, a non-techie guy. It does seem to have worked.

The first thing to do is download the C++ Windows repair link here (it's fast and installs without a reboot):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Then, run the downloaded NIK v1.05 exe update file again (no need to do an uninstall).

Seems to work, and all my presets are back.  Now, I just have to import my recipes again tomorrow.

Leigh
zippski  

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:13:01 pm by zippski »

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:16 am »

I had similar/different problems.
.......They then provided a link to get the 1.105 code.  Installed and works with no problems.

Very happy with their help.

John

PS....Win7 64bit

That version has now been superseded by NikCollection_1.107_0511-102.exe, which they say should solve some of the problems still being experienced by some users on Windows 7 and 8.

At least they are trying.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up