Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to achieve this effect?  (Read 3568 times)

Roman Racela

Re: How to achieve this effect?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »

I was going to explain, but Slobodan already gave a perfect example of exposure blending.

Roman, can you please be more specific? I don't get it. Thy exposed twice? Then blended the images? Why?

Roman Racela

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »

Also, you can get away with just 1 exposure and just double process that image in PS and then manually blend it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »

Also, you can get away with just 1 exposure and just double process that image in PS and then manually blend it.

Yes, that is possible.

However, unless you have one of the modern ISO-less cameras (the likes of Nikon 800, 7000, Pentax K-5, etc.), you are more likely to discover that the danger (read: noise) lurks in the shadows:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:15:40 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Roman Racela

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:45 pm »

I totally agree. I only do it with images taken with the 5D Mk3 and the D800, but sometimes the 5D Mk3 doesn't even cut it. Pulling detail from shadows with the 5D Mk3 with minimal noise is sometimes a bust!

Yes, that is possible.

However, unless you have one of the modern OSO-less cameras (the likes of Nikon 800, 7000, Pentax K-5, etc.), you are more likely to discover that the danger (read: noise) lurks in the shadows:

armand

• Photos
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 10:20:50 pm »

Yes, that is possible.

However, unless you have one of the modern ISO-less cameras (the likes of Nikon 800, 7000, Pentax K-5, etc.), you are more likely to discover that the danger (read: noise) lurks in the shadows:

That's an excellent noise reduction. How did you do it?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 01:48:51 am »

You can create a similar effect to using an ND filter in LR by simply making a series of exposures and then stacking them using LR/Enfuse: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/12/photographing-moving-water/

Mike.

52 images

Waves Rolling In by wolfnowl, on Flickr

44 images

Incoming Tide by wolfnowl, on Flickr

6 images

Clover Point Beach by wolfnowl, on Flickr

20 images

Elephant Seal by wolfnowl, on Flickr
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 12:54:33 pm »

That's an excellent noise reduction. How did you do it?

Well... I did not :)

Perhaps I should have been clearer as to what I was showing in that example. I was responding to Roman's suggestion:

... you can get away with just 1 exposure and just double process that image...

By that he meant that you would take a singe RAW exposure and underexpose it in post by one or two f/stops (to preserve highlights) and send it to Photoshop as a separate file, and than you would take the same single, original exposure and overexpose it in post by one or two f/stops (to open up shadows) and send it to Photoshop as a separate file. In Photoshop you would then blend the two files manually, taking the best parts of both (ie, highlights from one and shadows from the other).

My response to Roman's suggestion was that it is certainly possible to do it that way. However, by overexposing the file, to lighten up the shadows (ie, underexposed areas), you are risking increased noise in those areas.

To demonstrate that, I took two files from my series of three bracketed exposures (reply #19). The one on the right, the noiseless one, is simply a 100% crop of the overexposed, third shot in the bracketed series (ie, where the shadows were properly exposed). The one on the left, the noisy one, comes from the first shot in the bracketed series (the darkest one), which was then overexposed in post to open up the shadows to the same level as in the image on the right.

The bottom line: if you want to avoid/reduce the noise in shadows, give it plenty of light, either by ETTR in a single exposure, or by bracketing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up