Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4900 owners: 4x6 and 5x7 paper on your printer?  (Read 3269 times)

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
4900 owners: 4x6 and 5x7 paper on your printer?
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »

My 3800 is dying a long slow death.
I'd love to upgrade to the 4900 if only for the added gamut and DMax over the 3880.
But I need to be able to print 4x6 and 5x7 for laying out images for my book

According to this website it is possible:
http://www.atlex.com/blog/loading-4x6-5x7-cards-into-the-epson-stylus-pro-4900-printer
Wondering if any of you 4900 owners have tried this successfully.

There are also the issues of the clogging heads, increased cost, wasted ink, etc I've read about for the 4900.
Especially as I tend to print in spurts, with idle periods while I'm traveling, etc. In other words, I'm not using it day in/day out over the year.

So still may go for the 3880 which should give me slightly better output over the 3800, and wait for the inevitable successor to the 4900.
Do any of you have both 4900 and 3880? Is the gamut increase/Dmax really that much better?

Thank you.
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

jrsforums

Re: 4900 owners: 4x6 and 5x7 paper on your printer?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »

I think you will find that it will work for single (hand) feeds.  Auto feeds will misalign.

I would suggest the 3880 if you a doing a lot.  Or do 3-4x6 or 2-5x7 on an 8.5x11 page and trim.

John
John

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:28:06 pm »

I would echo what John has said.  It should work, but with the paper size check off you do run the risk that if it's not positioned correctly then you could have issues of ink going off the media (and no pads to soak it up as it's not a defined borderless size for the unit) and also bear in mind that the paper feed system isn't designed to handle those smaller sheets so if you get a paper jam or misfeed that causes issues, it may not be covered under warranty (that's a very broad statement by me and I realise there are very different requirements in different parts of the world, but when you use something outside of specification it's a risk you need to consider).

The extra gamut of the 4900 may have very little effect on your printing and you're not going to see much of a change in DMAX other than due to slight updates in the head and corresponding LUT.

Unless you are looking for the additional size or media handling options of the 4900, I wouldn't suggest the upgrade is really worth it for you.
Phil Brown

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:38 pm »

Thank you.

Decided to abandon that idea and get a new 3880.
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up