Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Chilean Patagonia, January 2014, one week solo.  (Read 2616 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Suggestions for Chilean Patagonia, January 2014, one week solo.
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:29 am »

I have one week completely free in the area of Punta Arenas (southern Chile) in January  :) .  Suggestions for photographic opportunities, or even ways to think about what to do?

I am very excited.  I have not been there before (I have been to Chile).  My budget is not large.  The first thing that I turned up is to walk the "W" circuit, or all or part of the "O" circuit in Torres del Paine.  This sounds fantastic (and may be unrealistic), but I am not wedded to the park or the routes.  I do not want to join a group trek (it is important to me that I'm able to follow my own schedule, and IME aesthetic experience is wary of groups).  I am not equiped for camping (and don't particularly want to be), so I am dependant on refugios.  I expect to travel with a Sony a900 and a Sony RX1R.  I am an enthusiastic walker and sometimes hiker.

From what I've read, everything in the area is scenic and LARGE.  Walking the "O", and being in the park, are undoubtedly their own reward.  I want to return with more than documentation of where I was.  My artistic goals for the trip are still being formed -- I'd love input from experienced photographers here.

Some sense of my sensibilities (and abilities) can be seen in my on-line portfolio, in particular for this project some rural pictures.  My neck of the woods (Pennsylvania and Maryland) is, notably, not large, grand, majestic, or awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Kirby.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:28:19 am by KirbyKrieger »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Suggestions for Chilean Patagonia, January 2014, one week solo.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:00:32 am »

Nothing?  :'(  No suggestions for Chilean Patagonia in January?

cmburns

Re: Suggestions for Chilean Patagonia, January 2014, one week solo.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:59:26 am »

Be prepared for wind, a lot of wind. I got food poisoning in Punta Arenas, so not good memories lol. The drive up to Torres Del Paine was kinda meh to me. Or I should say to Natales. We stayed there and even from there it's a long way to Torres Del Paine. If you're not going to do the big W hike then at least maybe stay in a hotel out closer to Torres Del Paine so you're there for sunset and sunrise. There's one that you have to take a footbridge over to, you've probably seen it in some pictures. It all makes for spectacular photos but the hotel was a dump, at least a few years ago when I read reviews of it. A dump with bad food and bad service. I would still stay there if I go back, just to be out closer to the peaks.

In Natales the Indigo Hotel was really great. They had a nice hot tub/sauna outside on the top floor with a nice sunset lake view. Otherwise it's kind of a so so backpacker town.

If you haven't see penguins there's a few tours out of Punta Arenas. We got to Punta Arenas on a bus from El Calafate, Argentina. If you're not doing one of the major hikes in Chile you might consider going to El Calafate by bus. Rent a car there then you can go out to Perito Moreno glacier and around to Chalten where you have several day hikes around Fitz Roy.

It may be the summer but the weather will be cool to downright cold, especially with the wind. It will also be variable. Lots of rain and clouds, so don't think you can just pop in to some spot and see it. It might take 2-3 days to get a clearish day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up