Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standard zoom or wide zoom lenses that are "macro"  (Read 2784 times)

7h3C47

Standard zoom or wide zoom lenses that are "macro"
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:39:54 pm »

I used to shoot with a Sigma SD14 body, and I had a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 "macro" lens [the SLD ELD one].  It wasn't true 1:1, but it was super practical because pretty much any time I used the lens, I could get as close as I wanted.  (I also had the Sigma 70mm, a true 1:1 macro, for the real close-ups).  

I recently bought a Nikon D7000 and am looking for a standard zoom/wide zoom but don't see any in production with macro as a feature.  Are they out of style/trend?  All of the macro lenses that Nikon/Sigma/Tamron currently make seem to start around 50mm, and I already have a 70mm (the same one I mentioned above), which is too close.  I can't even find a used Sigma 18-50mm macro for Nikon on eBay that's not in rough condition.  Just seems a little strange?  I always loved how useful mine was, and it's not like it had compromised IQ in order to be "macro"--probably the contrary overall.  Anyone can suggest an alternative?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:44:44 pm by 7h3C47 »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Standard zoom or wide zoom lenses that are "macro"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »

KEH has the DC D version in EX condition, for what seems like a very reasonable price.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Lee Rentz

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:38:17 am »

This is not directly addressing your concern, but lately I've found that the 15mm end of Canon's 8-15 mm fisheye zoom makes a fine macro lens with a truly unique perspective. I can focus extremely close to a flower or mushroom, and get a huge wide angle view of the background in a usable kind of soft focus. I learned about this possibility when I was using the lens in an underwater housing and got extraordinary results.

kitalight

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:52:08 pm »

Comes in the AIS mount, if you don't mind manual focusing...

Here's a full frame and 100% crop...

kitalight

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:18:06 am »

Sorry I didn't post a "macro" shot...well, here's a close-up...I'll shoot a "macro" with this lens later today and post it here.

...and a 100% corner crop

kitalight

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:53 pm »

Shots taken with the 28-90 on a Canon XSI full frame and 100% crops

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:57:37 pm by kitalight »

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:20:00 pm »

I used to shoot with a Sigma SD14 body, and I had a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 "macro" lens [the SLD ELD one].  It wasn't true 1:1, but it was super practical because pretty much any time I used the lens, I could get as close as I wanted.  (I also had the Sigma 70mm, a true 1:1 macro, for the real close-ups).

I can't even find a used Sigma 18-50mm macro for Nikon on eBay that's not in rough condition.  Just seems a little strange?  I always loved how useful mine was, and it's not like it had compromised IQ in order to be "macro"--probably the contrary overall.  Anyone can suggest an alternative?

Have you looked at the new 17-70mm Sigma? Goes up to 0.34 mag, not too bad:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1560/cat/31

The new 18-35 'A' model is getting a lot of compliments but only 0.23 mag:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1560/cat/31

Have a look on dpr's sales forum there might be some Nikon mount Sigmas there.

good luck!
best regards,

Ted

Vladimirovich

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:28 pm »

I recently bought a Nikon D7000 and am looking for a standard zoom/wide zoom but don't see any in production with macro as a feature.  Are they out of style/trend?  All of the macro lenses that Nikon/Sigma/Tamron currently make seem to start around 50mm, and I already have a 70mm (the same one I mentioned above), which is too close.  I can't even find a used Sigma 18-50mm macro for Nikon on eBay that's not in rough condition.  Just seems a little strange?  I always loved how useful mine was, and it's not like it had compromised IQ in order to be "macro"--probably the contrary overall.  Anyone can suggest an alternative?
cheap Sigma zoom that goes 1:4 = http://www.adorama.com/SG1850284NKA.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up