Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for Honest reviews of 50-60mm lenses for NEX 7 and/or A7r  (Read 3131 times)

Herbc

The one focal length I have not shot much is 50mm.  There is so much internet
amplification about legacy lenses, i.e. Leica vs Zeiss vs Nikon, that I was looking for a reliable source for reviews, with actual data plus examples.
I do like shooting manual focus lenses on my NEX 7, which with the view magnification is a godsend to us with old eyes.
I see where there is to be a Zeiss 55mm f1.8 later this year, and god help us a $4000 offering from them as well.  I suspect the Leica buffs have a source of reviews that are deviod of religion? (so called Leica mystique?).
Also, what about Voiglander?? 
DxO is my favorite, but they don't review either Leitz or Voiglander, just "review"

A good source of reviews?  google did not help.

Telecaster

Re: Source for Honest reviews of 50-60mm lenses for NEX 7 and/or A7r
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:04:31 pm »

Frankly I've never met a 50mm I haven't liked. There may be subpar designs out there, and certainly you can run into subpar samples of some designs, but I don't think I've ever sold or given one away. (I did regrettably lose an FD mount Canon in the Nile river in 1984 and more recently smashed an EF Canon to bits after one too many AF miscues...but optically the smashed lens--which, BTW, more than deserved its fate--was quite fine.) Even weird-ish pre-WWII designs like the Leitz Summar have their charms.

If you're a smooth bokeh aficianado you'll likely find most 50s to be squirrely at times. Depends on aperture, how far away from the plane of focus the out-of-focus areas are and what the structural nature of the OOF stuff is.

As for reviews, most of what I've seen comes from enthusiast sites or blogs and tends to be positive. Maybe that's due to brand loyalty, or maybe it's because no-one has made a bad 50 in a good long time. 50s tend to be inexpensive, so you're probably best off just trying one from your maker of choice.

(I'm most partial to the Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar, along with its Soviet-era Jupiter clones, made primarily for Contax rangefinder cameras. It's, by modern standards, a medium to low-ish contrast lens. Has a signature, mostly unobtrusive texture in OOF areas. Gives me a good reason to keep using b&w film.)

-Dave-

bcooter

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:31 pm »

and more recently smashed an EF Canon to bits after one too many AF miscues...

We do think alike.

I sailed one across a field trying to photographer a farmer in a livestock field for an ad.

The damn thing (I then had 2) would not focus with a standard Lee filter holder on it because of the weight (if you call weight 2 ounces.)

IMO

BC

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:59 pm »

Thanks guys- the only 50 I have is a LTM Jupiter I got for my long departed Zeiss Ikon.
Guess I will see what the used market has to offer.  I do like the focus of the new Zeiss,
but they think a lot of them($$).

johnwolf

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:59 pm »

For Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander reviews I favor reidreviews.com. It's a pay site but well worth it.

John

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:36:28 am »

Hi,

Photozone does lab tests plus sample images. They started testing Leica M lenses.

Diglloyd also tests Leica lenses but it is a pay site: http://diglloyd.com/index-leica.html (89.99 for a year)

Best regards
Erik

The one focal length I have not shot much is 50mm.  There is so much internet
amplification about legacy lenses, i.e. Leica vs Zeiss vs Nikon, that I was looking for a reliable source for reviews, with actual data plus examples.
I do like shooting manual focus lenses on my NEX 7, which with the view magnification is a godsend to us with old eyes.
I see where there is to be a Zeiss 55mm f1.8 later this year, and god help us a $4000 offering from them as well.  I suspect the Leica buffs have a source of reviews that are deviod of religion? (so called Leica mystique?).
Also, what about Voiglander?? 
DxO is my favorite, but they don't review either Leitz or Voiglander, just "review"

A good source of reviews?  google did not help.
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44:00 am »

The 50/2 Zeiss Planar in M mount is a real nice, solid lens. It's pretty reasonable $$-wise new and likely even better used. A 58mm worth picking up should you come upon one is the fairly recent Voigtländer f/1.4 in either M42 or Nikon F mount. This Voigt is based on a Topcon design from the 1960s, recomputed for improved performance, and is a lovely people pic lens at wider apertures but also very crisp when stopped down a bit.

BC, that Canon 50 let the side down at a very inopportune moment. If I could find all the bits & pieces and put it back together, I'd smash it again. I doubt I've ever had such contempt for any other inanimate object.   >:(

-Dave-

johnwolf

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:21:13 am »

One more review site comes to for Sony: kurtmunger.com.

John

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:06:10 am »

The 50/2 Zeiss Planar in M mount is a real nice, solid lens. It's pretty reasonable $$-wise new and likely even better used. A 58mm worth picking up should you come upon one is the fairly recent Voigtländer f/1.4 in either M42 or Nikon F mount. This Voigt is based on a Topcon design from the 1960s, recomputed for improved performance, and is a lovely people pic lens at wider apertures but also very crisp when stopped down a bit.

BC, that Canon 50 let the side down at a very inopportune moment. If I could find all the bits & pieces and put it back together, I'd smash it again. I doubt I've ever had such contempt for any other inanimate object.   >:(

-Dave-

Ok Dave, now I know we're separated at birth.  I have the Zeiss 50 and 35mm Zeiss F2 in Nikon mount I use for one of our REDs.  

It's the easiest lens to manually focus while tracking subjects I've ever used, because the body and rings are rock solid and have a minimal but smooth turn.

The sharpness is excellent and noticeable, the fall off is pretty and the prices are excellent for this quality of lens.

IMO

BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up