Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mavericks and Epson printers  (Read 1737 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Mavericks and Epson printers
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:44:37 am »

Just a note of caution to those who are installing mavericks and running Epson professional printers.  One of the touted features is for OS X 10.9 to automatically keep all your software up to date.  A nice feature since it can do it when you aren't using your computer (perhaps while sleeping).  

However, as we have discovered in the past if you let software update install Apple's Epson driver updates, you will most likely kill the drivers for the higher end Epson printers.  So I recommend you set your app store settings to download all updates in the background when they are available, and alert you when it has done so, but not to actually install them automatically so you can avoid installing any apple provided epson updates. Otherwise you might find yourself trying to fix problems that have been known to be fairly minor (reinstall the other drivers) to more severe, where it takes a fresh install of system software to clean out the mess.  

by default I believe this feature is off, and it will ask you if you want to enable it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:00:02 pm by Wayne Fox »

howardm

Re: Mavericks and Epson printers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:39 am »

I absolutely agree w/ Wayne on this.  How many times have updates been pulled due to some corner-case bug?

FYI, the ability to tell the AppStore what to do is in System Preferences (under Mavericks), not in the application itself.

John Chardine

• chardine photography
Re: Mavericks and Epson printers
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:31:17 pm »

That's a good heads-up. Just a slight correction, the settings for all this is indeed in System Preferences under App Store.
Pages: [1]   Go Up