Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X E-1 peculiar behavior with ND filters  (Read 6836 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Fuji X E-1 peculiar behavior with ND filters
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:46:38 am »

I have and love my Fuji X E-1. Today I was photographing a waterfall at the Oregon Coast in full sun (yes I know that sounds like an oxymoron, Oregon Coast/October/full sun). I have a set of step up rings and attached my 77mm B+W ND filter to the 60mm lens to get a slow shutter speed to blur the water. The camera repeatedly placed an error message in the finder instructing me to turn the camera off and then on again. When I did so, it simply recycled the advice. I was using the camera in aperture priority at about f/8 with autofocus, though I used manual as well. It has the latest firmware. This happened to me once before. That time I gave up and used my D800E. I did eventually get some acceptable images. Any Fuji users with a similar experience? Any ideas? I'd like to be able to do waterfalls with ND filters with the Fuji. After all I live where there is a proliferation of lovely waterfalls to photograph. Thanks.

DanielStone

Re: Fuji X E-1 peculiar behavior with ND filters
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:47:27 am »

I'm guessing lack of weathersealing and increased humidity levels around a "water" fall could be the problem ???

-Dan

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:12 am »

Never had this problem, or never heard of it. I use ND filters with my XE-1 without any problems, up to several minutes exposure times. Mostly with the 14mm lens. Could it be a problem with the camera-lens contacts? AF not working with the ND filter on?

The other thing I can suggest is that the camera in aperture priority mode does not go to long enough exposure times? Were you using any remote or electronic trigger or timer?

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:36:37 am »

Eric,

I cannot remember exactly how the 60 mm lens operates, however make sure that moving element is not somehow hampered by the filter or the adapter ring. If that moving element out front somehow gets obstructed it might give you this error. I remember reading about that someplace with filters on a Fuji XF lens.
Warren

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:31 am »

I have seen this problem and I have dealt with it. The 60mm lens retracts into the body slightly, so when it tried to focus it tried to pull the step up ring into the body and jammed the lens, then you get the message. The way I got around it, is I bought a cheapy 39mm UV filter, removed the glass and then screwed the empty ring into the lens, I leave it on permanently. This acts as a threaded spacer that allows the lens to full retract when it wants to and then allows you to use a step up ring. I use a set of 77mm filters on my Fujis, this is the only lens so far that has this problem. It is an easy fix.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Eric Brody

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »

Thanks to all, especially to snoleopard. I now understand and can solve this annoying problem. You have been quite helpful. For now, I'll just use the 18-55, which works just fine with the 77mm ND filters and until I do what you did, get or make a spacer, and avoid filters on the 60mm. I thought I was going to have to lug my D800E to every waterfall in the great Pacific Northwest :-).

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:45:47 pm »

This is good to know on the 60mm, I had that lens on my list.  Does anyone know if the 55-200 has the same issue.  I believe it's also internal focus, but not sure. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »

This is good to know on the 60mm, I had that lens on my list.  Does anyone know if the 55-200 has the same issue.  I believe it's also internal focus, but not sure.  

Paul Caldwell

Paul the 55-200 does not have this problem.

Eric good to see the problem was found & rectified.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:01:07 pm by W.T. Jones »
Warren

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:47 am »

Paul,

I see Warren has already posted, the 55-200 does not have this issue. So far the 60mm is the only one.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Eric Brody

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 11:47:54 pm »

After further analysis, I have another partial solution, manual focus. The center part of the lens protrudes as it focuses closer. With autofocus it extends and then retracts, jamming the lens regardless. If, on the other hand, one is focusing at a distance at which it does not protrude, one can use manual focus, watching carefully how far the center of the lens sticks out. It won't work very well with closeups, sadly, but with further away subjects, it can be satisfactory. I discovered this while at the same waterfall that started this thread, another sunny day at the coast in January in Oregon.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:06 am »

After further analysis, I have another partial solution, manual focus. The center part of the lens protrudes as it focuses closer. With autofocus it extends and then retracts, jamming the lens regardless. If, on the other hand, one is focusing at a distance at which it does not protrude, one can use manual focus, watching carefully how far the center of the lens sticks out. It won't work very well with closeups, sadly, but with further away subjects, it can be satisfactory. I discovered this while at the same waterfall that started this thread, another sunny day at the coast in January in Oregon.

Yes you can do that but it is a simpler and long term solution to use the empty ring on the end, then you never have to worry about it and it will still function correctly all the time. Adds almost no weight and makes the lens cap usable. If you are using manual focus and then press the button for it to autofocus sometimes it will cycle the lens through the whole range and then cause a jam, I was concerned that doing that repeatedly might strip a gear.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up