Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf8400 size  (Read 10698 times)

colorforest

Canon ipf8400 size
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:15:52 pm »

Hi,
I am trying to buy ipf8400 but I cannot find any info about the size of the printer. I see online that the printer depth is 38.4" but I am assuming this is the depth with legs. So I want to ask if any of you have ipf8400. Can you measure just the printer body not the printer with legs. What is the depth? From the front to back?
I need to make sure it will fit through the door.

Derek

TSJ1927

Re: Canon ipf8400 size
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:51 pm »

27-28" depth.  With the front cover flipped up as in the load position.  Also in the normal upright position.......... not on its side.

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:55:59 am »

Physical Dimensions   45" (H) x 74.5" (W) x 38.4" (D)

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:02:01 am »

If you have a regular size door, it will fit without a problem.  We've moved the IPF8300 in the box through our office door and the stand in it's own box.  The whole shipment won't fit through the door itself  unless it's going through a double door entrance or loading dock.  The iPF8300 and 8400 are the same dimensions and weight.  Only major difference is the updated hardware and software.

Hope this helps with the question.

Atlex.com

jtunney

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:16 pm »

Do you know how much the printer weighs without the stand and/or how many people its take to carry it through the door?

Thanks.

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

Chris233

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:33 pm »

315 lbs. 3 guys, 2 to hold the machine and 1 to support / move obstacles as they come about.  Best to have 4-5 to be safe though. 2 on each side and 1 to support, it's not a cheap toy to drop..

Miles

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:33:05 am »

The machine is quite heavy and I would recommend at least 3 people and preferably 4 as getting around corners and through doorways can be tough.  You'll be able to tell who is in shape before you are done.  The printer won't fit through a standard interior house door when mounted onto the stand so you will want to set the stand up in the final location and then carry the printer to it.

jtunney

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:56:43 am »

But without the stand will it fit through a standard door?

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:27 am »

But without the stand will it fit through a standard door?

John

Depends on doorway and stuff around it.  My house cannot accept one due to narrow doors built back in 1982.  Barely could accept new refrigerator and they had to take off the hinges too get it through the front door.  Newer homes and businesses are handicap accessible with wider doors.  I might be able to get a ipf6450 in the place - maybe.

Local shop has a 8400 and had to go through a false wall to get it in there (Older building).  Even the old hospital had issues getting it into their freight elevator and it had to be stood upright in it and around some doors as well.  Good thing they left the ink out prior to getting into the elevator too according to the salesgirl.  They were going to load it with ink and set it up for delivery so it would work immediately, but luckily they held off.  She said it took four people to move it around too.

Good machine though, other than being the size of a coffin to move around.

SG

colorforest

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »

It did fit through my door but I had 5 guys and we had to turn it 90 degrees. So the from of the printer was facing up. It was not easy to do. I am not home so I don't know the clearance of the door. The problem was that I did not wanted to take a chance moving to my basement where I have my other printers. I Had to leave it in my living room. My wife is NOT happy. I wish I knew about 8400s. It is lighter and narrower. I don't need high quality but speed. Thinking about selling it and getting 8400s.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 12:12:59 am »

Hire piano movers to get it moved. They're big. And heavy. Here's how my 8300 (not 8400) made it upstairs: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49569.0.

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

jtunney

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 12:28:44 am »

I was thinking piano movers would be the way to go.

Thanks everyone for the input.

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

Terry Cooney

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 11:46:04 am »

In case this helps:

Most standard doors have about 31" clearance without taking the door off the hinges, assuming it opens all the way and isn't an obstacle. The printer stand is 29" wide and the printer's longest width is about 27" and height is about 24" off the stand. On the stand it'll fit through a standard door provided you have a minimum of about 80" straight inside and outside since you won't be able to turn it in the doorway. The wheels can make this pretty easy if you can do this. The printer will also fit vertically on a dolly without its stand since it's about 75" tall plus the dolly, but that's only if it's new or it is presumably empty with the level 3 move as per its instructions.

colorforest

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »

My backdoor door has 28" clearance (screen door) and I was able to get it in only by turning face up. That means It will not fit through once ink is installed. I  could not go through from door which is wider as there is a closet and no way to turn.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:46:51 pm by colorforest »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:17 am »

My backdoor door has 28" clearance (screen door) and I was able to get it in only by turning face up. That means It will not fit through once ink is installed.

Exactly what happened to us, plus the full upright position on the elevator (print studio on the 7th floor). If (when) we move we will have to completely drain the inks.

Miles

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 09:38:51 am »

I always thought a standard interior door was 30", but checking online I find 28" and 32" qualify as well.  Mine is 30", which I believe the opening is slightly less with the trim in place.  The printer will not pass through this size doorway when on its stand even though there are no corners or obstacles to deal with.  I was able to tip and finagle the stand through the doorway without the printer and then had to carry the printer in separately and mount it to the stand in the room.  I'll have to do the same thing to remove it.  It isn't a big deal with a couple friends.

mackerrow

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 11:20:35 pm »

I have a new Canon ipf 8400 that I am finally unboxing and setting up in my studio.  My plan is to set it up on top of heavy duty flat surface and forego using the printer stand.  Does anyone see any issues in doing this?  (mainly going this route to save space).  Thanks!

stockjock

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 02:03:13 am »

The prints usually kind of curl under the printer.  If it isn't on a stand with space underneath I'm not sure what would happen.  Maybe nothing but it is also likely that the pressure of the paper hitting a surface might be a problem. 

I haven't noticed a ton of vibration from the print head moving back and forth but that would be another concern.  Also, I don't remember from when I assembled mine, but it appears to me that the printer is really designed to have the stand slot into a space rather than rest on a stand.

Finally, it is going to be a lot harder to load roll paper.  Not impossible, but you have to put your hand underneath the paper to kind of guide it into the paper channel and you aren't going to have much room at all to do that.

I think it is fair to say the printer isn't designed to be installed in the way you are envisioning but it might be possible.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 10:17:00 am »

At first I thought you would have trouble loading the rolls, but I inspected under our 8400 and noticed the printer has some "feet" built into the chassis that provide more than enough clearance to fit the hand under the roll. The only problem I can think of is that it will be way harder to move the printer if you need to check something (data cable, power cord connection...).

mackerrow

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:51:56 am »

Thank you for the suggestions and help on this question of installing the Canon ipf 8400 on a flat surface instead of the stand. 

If I go this route, it will be sitting on top of 4 flat files.  The flat files are not stacked though, they are on a heavy duty (7500 lb capacity steel shelf from Home Depot).

I have setup the shelf unit so that the printer would sit inside a 28 inch vertical opening.  I could make this vertical shelf opening be up to ~ 34 inches if needed.  (from this thread it looks like the height of the printer unit, without the stand, is ~ 24 high, and then I need some clearance for the top of the printer to swing upward and open).

I have not yet unboxed or moved the new printer and I am willing to go with "Plan B", that is just install it in the studio on the printer stand as designed, and then get rid of some of the furniture in the studio to make room.

Issues with the print output getting stuck on hitting a hard surface, versus falling into the ipf 8400 catch basket do concern me, however this might be mitigated by monitoring the print job in person (something I would do anyway) and / or designing some other catchment system for the output print.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up